Victron Energy BlueSolar MPPT 100/30 Charge Controller

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cory350

Reaction score
As Christmas is approaching I have been thinking of doing upgrading the PWM 30A controller that came with my 200watt renogy solar kit.  I am perfectly happy with my setup and it meets my needs very well. With that said I know that I can squeeze more juice out of my panels with a MPPT controller. I also like the idea of  being ready for a to upgrade to a lithium battery bank when my AGMs no longer meet my needs and the price points come down a bit.

The main reason I am looking at this controller is for the Bluetooth dongle and app to monitor and track my system. Currently I am just relying on the 3 green lights on the renogy controller.

My question for all you wise folks out there is if this is still a good option or is there a newer comparable model that I should be looking at? I have someone who would really like to get me something nice for Christmas and I really just don't need anything else right now. 

Currently $200 on Amazon
Victron Energy BlueSolar MPPT 100/30 Charge Controller https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076N5PTBN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_QVu.Bb0X41ZPM

IDK if anything is better now. I've had mine for over a year and I'm happy with it. I still call it up on the phone many times a day. I like to see them watts.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

75/15 is plenty for 200W, great value

Get SmartSolar, dongle built in

John61CT said:
75/15 is plenty for 200W, great value

Get SmartSolar, dongle built in

I think I'd like to stick with the 100/30 for the ability to add another 200 watts in the future.

I did know about the smart series with builtin Bluetooth!!! This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks!

Cory350 said:
I think I'd like to stick with the 100/30 for the ability to add another 200 watts in the future.

I did NOT know about the smart series with builtin Bluetooth!!! This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks!

I did NOT know about the smart series  THANKS!

I have two 100/50 units for two separate solar arrays at two separate locations. So far (seven months into ownership) these have been the best, most reliable and trouble-free components in my systems. Mine don't have dongles-- Victron makes a model that bluetooths directly to a smartphone, and that's what mine are. I recommend this interface highly; I can't imaging the dongle being nearly as convenient, and the price difference was very small when I bought mine.

if the 75/15 is say 60% the price of the 30A unit, consider, going for two, lower panel per SC ratio.

Yes bit more wiring, but much better handling of partial shade,

like mentioned above the 75/15 with bluetooth already built in is only $188 at amazon https://tinyurl.com/ybkrpma8

get 1 now to run your existing panel and add another controller when you get another panel. not much, if any different price. plus you get the benifit of independant controllers to help with possible shading.

also, if you stick your self with a single 30am controller now, you will be limited on what panel you might add in the future. it would suck to score a smokin deal on say a 300 watt panel later and either have to get another controller anyways or pass up the deal.

there is one potential benefit with the 30 amp controller if you know you will be getting the exact same 200 watt panel to add later. you could then run those in series for a higher string voltage and have less line loss and better low light charging

i personally run pairs of 295 watt panels in series on victron 100/50 controllers. one of these days i am going to rewire 1 pair to parallel so i can run them side by side to see just how much difference there is...

another benefit of the 75/15 victron mppt controller is it comes with a load output that is controllable withing the software. you can use it to directly power small loads like a dusk till dawn light or use a relay to control larger loads. this summer i used one ona water pumping solar install. we set it up so when the sun came up once the batteries reached a set point then the pump kicked on and pumped till the volts dropped to anther set point. others have used the load control to turn on an electric water heater to take advantage of excess solar.

might not be something you would use, but it is a nice little feature that is available

Be aware it's limited to a certain current, maybe 10A?

on other brands may also only power certain load types, but prolly not w Victron

hence why i said use a relay for heavy loads. though i believe the 100/20 controller is rated for a 20 amp load it would not reliably "start" a pump that draws <6amps. but a cheap relay and all was golden

yes, great idea, missed that

In a complex setup where the SC not "knowing" SoC is an issue, their 712-BMV can do it with more precision. At a higher cost of course

have you actually used one of these? or are you just assuming how it works and what is better?

are you saying the solar controller (SC)cannot tell when the battery is full?

nothing i said inferred the need to know what the state of charge (SoC) is

nothing remotely complex to run a load off this controller and let it get the most out of the battery.

No SC can really tell what bank SoC is unless integrated with a shunt-based BM

But usually our usage patterns are regular enough that we can adjust absorb hold time to ensure getting to Full at least often enough.

20180126_132406-2080x1170.jpg20180129_161859-2080x1170.jpgNot beautiful, but I have multiple panels of different, incompatible sizes. Works for me and I love the Bluetooth so I can micromanage things. This was before I cleaned it up, but I have no photo resizer app on this phone to put in the finished job. Sorry about the double photo.
Ted

20180126_132406-2080x1170.jpg

Attachments

• 20180126_132406-2080x1170.jpg
    20180126_132406-2080x1170.jpg
    561.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 20180129_161859-2080x1170.jpg
    20180129_161859-2080x1170.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 14