Victron 150 l 70 tr question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have three of those controllers currently operating on my rig, they all have always worked flawlessly (10, 15, and 85 amp). I think the factory settings are 14.4 bulk / 13.6 float.  I'm assuming you switched the rotary dial and set it to AGM. Probably not getting enough sun with 200 watts lying flat on these cloudy days.

Once you get the dongle, not only can you see all parameters and set to anything you like, there is also a few firmware updates that it will automatically upload via android phone.

If you are around Tucson I have a dongle you can use.

Did you get the controller new? They can be user set to output any amperage you want (up to controller max), i.e. it can be set to only output 3 amps.

Itripper said:
Did you get the controller new? They can be user set to output any amperage you want (up to controller max), i.e. it can be set to only output 3 amps.

Good catch.  And w/out the dongle they'd never know it was set that way.

I purchased it as a replacement to a defective one from someone who bought a different brand. So new, but older stock, I think. A loaned dongle allowed us to update the firmware and verify settings. All good. However, I added another 200w portable system to the array and was able to get to float today by 1PM. My current theory is perhaps not enough sun juice.

My novice guess is that even though voltage was high the amps being generated was simply to small with the small flat array. Opinions?

You have a total of 400 watts. Kat has 690 watts. In both instances the controller stopped raising the voltage in high sun. In Kats case it did start producing amps the next day but the point is moot as it has been replaced by a Morningstar TS-MPPT-60 and she sees her full panel potential every day. I would ask if 3 amps was by default but Kat's was at 7-9 amps until it decided to start acting normal.

I would really like to get to the bottom of this as strongly as the controllers have been recommended and I am likely to see the issue again.

What the hell is a dongle? Sounds obscene [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm reading a couple of threads elsewhere where weirdnesses were fixed by manually setting bank voltage, instead of using autosense.

Cam: a dongle is a piece of hardware that, when installed, enables or provides a given feature.