vhf over the air out door tv antenna

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rating an antenna in miles is silly. (I realize you are quoting silly marketing.) I've moved 1/4 mile further from a broadcast antenna in order to get a signal. (Out of the "shadow" of a hill.)

Terrain does have a big effect on range but as long as they all are rated the same way it is useful for comparing the various antennas. IE: a 60 mile rated one will get 2x better signal than a 30 mile one.
It's not just terrain , the transmitter power , altitude as well as the antenna's altitude effect it too.

It's kind of like mpg ratings on a car...............YMMV skuh kuh kuh kuh

Who cares about the technical crap.... the point is for under forty bucks I'm pulling in 26 stations from 75 miles away... you don't need to spend big bucks on an antenna to watch television just about anywhere. Just about anywhere from Yuma Arizona to Susanville California and everywhere in between... that's the point.

gsfish said:
I do! But I'm probably influenced by having had a commercial FCC license for the last 40 years.

Guy

Sure get a Walmart antenna. It can be returned if it has a manufacturer flaw that causes failure. Just make sure you use the correct kind of matched tv antenna cable. FCC commercial license means you know something. Lol.

If you go with a cheap eBay contraption antenna, make sure the seller will refund money no questions asked. Else why bother. Check the seller has a ham radio license at least. They are supposed to know how antennas work. Cheap antennas can work.

Agree with previous statements. Anything that looks like a yagi antenna design that is passive (no amplifier) should work fine. If it is matched to a proper feedline (cable).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts