Very Early Experimental Aircraft, The 1st flying car IMHO is the 1st shown in this 18 min you tune

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get a good used 2 place Helicopter for about 50k or an ultralight sng place (no license required) for about $30k. I'd go with a Rotorway Exec 162F 2 place shown here.

ROTORWAY EXEC-162F HELICOPTER • $59,995 • FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • 2015 Model with ACIS system. Ready to fly. Only 53hrsTTSN. Good conditon. Please write for details. • Contact Richard Hawk - HAWK RACING LLC , - located Gilmer, TX 75645 United States • Telephone: 855-248-4501 • Posted March 7, 2024 • Show all Ads posted by this AdvertiserRecommend This Ad to a FriendEmail AdvertiserSave to WatchlistReport This Ad

ULTRALIGHT COAXIAL HELICOPTER • $37,500 • FOR SALE • A flight-tested, license-free ultralight helicopter. Please write for details. • Contact Richard Hawk - HAWK RACING LLC , - located Gilmer, TX 75645 United States • Telephone: 855-248-4501 •

Interesting video of the Heli-Home Gr8ful.

Maybe 30 years from now designers & engineers will look back on it as a concept for a Lunar-Home as part of a much larger LEM. Just as these old aircraft have been idea bases for much later better constructed aircraft which had better materials and better outfitted facilities to build them in.

In the 50's there were a lot of helicopters that used jet tipped rotor blades. Thus the engine was in the rotor itself. (except the starter engine used to turn the rotor up to a speed that the jets could be ignited) That Fairey Rotordyne in the opening of the first video you posted did well until complaints of noise levels from the jets. Later revisions of it lowered the noise level to more acceptable levels. Today with electronic noise canceling technology, the Rotordyne could be rendered almost quiet. I can only imagine it as an flying RV. (it's always been one of my most favorite aircraft & quite a beautiful piece of work....light years ahead of it's time)

Once the Rotordyne was airborne, the ram jets were switched off until coming in for a landing when they were switched on once again for landing. When in flight the large rotor simply free wheeled and provided lift. It also could be used as a flying crane.

Fairey_Rotodyne_XE521.jpg

But as mentioned, earlier ideas leading to later developments.....

Mid 1930's child's toy airplane...........

12310121854_0cf202a066_c.jpg

I was in Rotary with a gent that had a helicopter crane service. The local town wanted to give away the old water tower & had built a new one. A farmer wanted it but he couldn't get a permit to cross I-94.

I did a "Pilot ground school", what they do for pilots before they are even allowed to touch the stick.

Most of the accident happens to, and mistakes are made by, pilots who have little experience (no surprise) or who use plane only few hours a month, because they forget the little they knew.

People have hard time driving cars on a road, which is one-dimensional object with some crossroads. Now thy will fly in 3D, what can go wrong?

I've been flying for years & have 2 grass strips on the farm & a big hanger 54'x 84' I cut all the lumber for in the U.P. with a portable sawmill I bought in Oregon. I had a gun store I closed 35 years ago & traded $10k of guns for a 1940 Taylorcraft. Taylor invented & but the Cub, partnered with Piper who took the company over so Taylor who started making a side by side with a curved bottom wing that cruised @ 35 mph faster than a Cub. I was my instructors 1st student, paid him $10/hr, plane burned 3.5 gal per hour of car gas so I it cost almost nothing to get my licence. I had the sister ship Bonanza B35 Vtail that Buddy Holley died. Both were in the factory at the same time. Also many ultralight, PPCs & was an avid skydiver till I broke my back moving logs the power co cut & left without permission or notice. Just bought a Weedhopper ultralight as it's 2 axis so I don't need much leg use & planning 1 more skydive but it will have to be tandem from 14,000'. Sorry to bore you!

Early tries at Flight. Aviation is a very unforgiving endeavor so if at first you don't succeed stay on the ground.

In watching these videos it occurs to me how fortunate we have been to have camera's, especially moving picture cameras, to record the early beginnings of aviation and flying machines. And many other innovations of the Industrial Revolution in America.

Recording sound began in 1877 with Thomas Edison but wasn't available (as part of a movie film) on the movie screen until 1927. The best the ancient civilizations could do was paint scenes on walls and keep records of events on tablets where some of the languages are lost to us now.

At least we've been able to photo document much of that should the worst happen, earth quakes, wars, storms, etc....it isn't lost forever.

It makes a good argument for all of us traveling as Nomads to consider taking lots of pictures and sharing them online for future travelers to enjoy and learn by. One of the big take aways is to show how humble those of our past were in at least trying out their ideas. So often people are spoiled to having factory made products that work right out of the box, that they don't even consider trying to make or build something themselves much less attempting to modify something they have to better suit their needs.

The ULTIMATE RV, Sikorsky and Winnebago S-58 (H-34) Heli-Home & Marine 1

I was an Aerial Photographer in Orlando for 30 yrs.............I often flew out of a charter based in Kissimmee

There was a business based at the Kissimmee Airport that housed a quasi-museum/boneyard that had a Winnebago Helio/RV................a 1997 tornado destroyed much of the airport

The ULTIMATE RV, Sikorsky and Winnebago S-58 (H-34) Heli-Home & Marine 1

Years ago there was a company that made a Catalina/PBY RV. Although outside of a few parts of the south Pacific and Caribbean there aren't many safe places to park one. The helicopter would work a lot better for lake hopping

A lot of those early "Bat-Men" died trying to perfect those wing suits. The earliest of them began in 1917 over 100 years ago now. Notice the evolution
of today's suits which are more sleek and take into consideration the rate at which a body falls thru the air. In today's suits the skydiver can release his arms and legs from the suit and go into sky diving mode if the suit interferes with his control.

hqdefault.jpg

Wingsuit_Flying_over_Langar_Airfield_UK.jpg