Verizon data rollover

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarEcho

Reaction score
Just wanted to give a heads up that Verizon finally changed their plans to rollover unused data.  You have to change your plan yourself though.  It's not automatic.  16GB for $80/month

Just renewed my contract, is it still available?

Gunny, yes. Changing to the new policies means signing a new contract.

Gunny,
If you didn't actually change your plan when you renewed, you need to go online to your account and change it there or go into a store.  Or you could call I guess.  Bottom line is that they are not going to tell you to change your plan.  You have to tell them.  You might end up paying more or less depending on your data plan.  For instance I was paying $70/12GB and increased my charge to $80 but also increased the data to 16.  I could also have gone down to 8GB for $60 and saved $10.  There was no 12GB choice anymore.  My only glitch was that we had "bundled" our verizon with our home phone and verizon said they couldnt change any plan that was bundled.  Easily fixed when I discovered we were not receiving any discount from the home phone company for bundling.

I am just so happy that they finally got with the program!  I hated feeling like I had to binge watch netflix on my phone to use up the data since it was going to be lost and that made me want to use as much as I could to punish them!  LOLOL

The rollover won't be applied to existing plans. I have a 30 gig plan under the old More Everything plans. The new "five simple sizes" don't go that high.

MrNoodly said:
The rollover won't be applied to existing plans. I have a 30 gig plan under the old More Everything plans. The new "five simple sizes" don't go that high.

Hi MrNoodly,

I just switched my 50G to 40G as my usage has dropped and MyVerizon says the 40 has carryover and it said my 50 automatically had it.

From the Confirmation page:

You've chosen the new Verizon Plan. Enjoy more data, more control and more great features:

• Carryover Data: Your data is yours to keep. Carryover Data automatically rolls over your unused gigs to the end of the following month.
Check your current plan on the web site.

-Wayne

on my Verizon hot spot the data is good for 2 months. but I am on the pay as you go plan, no contract. highdesertranger

wayne49 said:
Hi MrNoodly,

I just switched my 50G to 40G as my usage has dropped and MyVerizon says the 40 has carryover and it said my 50 automatically had it.

From the Confirmation page:

You've chosen the new Verizon Plan. Enjoy more data, more control and more great features:

• Carryover Data: Your data is yours to keep. Carryover Data automatically rolls over your unused gigs to the end of the following month.
Check your current plan on the web site.

-Wayne

Hmmmm, I guess I'll need to look into that.

Update:

Apparently Verizon has NOT gotten with the program after all.  Jerks.  Rollover data is only good for 30 days after it rolls over and your regular data is used first.  So you can't stockpile data for that time when you need it.  For instance.  I have a 16gb plan and used 3gb of it in July/August  So 12 something gb was rolled over to August/Sept.  That gave me 28gb.  We used a bit less than 6gb in Aug/Sept, but only 10gb was rolled over to Sept/Oct.  Jerks.  That's what I get for not reading the fine print.  

Ok, it's better than before, but not that great after all.

Also, plan changes take effect the next billing period, so you can't decide you will go over and avoid over data limit fees. Also, I think plan changes clear any rollover.

StarEcho said:
Update:

Apparently Verizon has NOT gotten with the program after all.

... That's what I get for not reading the fine print.  

Ok, it's better than before, but not that great after all.

I was wondering what accounted for the sudden burst of reasonableness. ;-)

The text you provided from Verizon said the following:  "Carryover Data: Your data is yours to keep. Carryover Data automatically rolls over your unused gigs to the end of the following month."

When I first read that in your earlier post, my radar told me they were up to no good, but I wasn't sure how.  Thanks for clarifying.

Vagabound

I went to the rollover plan too. When I got an email showing my next bill and it was sixty dollars higher than my old bill things with me and Verizon got a bit awkward. Reading a phone bill is like trying to read hieroglyphics. Finally talked to someone after going thru the computer maze for a while and they explained it was a combination of my old plan and my new plan.

I know why the bills are intentionally confusing, to mollify old geezers like me with their complexity. After dealing with many of the same such crap in the military or various other jobs after that I can indeed figure out when I am being mislead if not actually lied to. After a spirited conversation I told them I would take my new IPhone 6 to the Verizon store close to me, give my phone back, I had had it less than 30 days and me and my number would go to Metro PCS.

30 minutes after I hung up a supervisor called and was willing to reduce my payment but the rollover plan is more expensive then my measly 3 gig plan was. I kept the phone but now pay 12 dollars more for the rollover crap.

I don't know about the rest of you but I detest being lied to or maybe I should say reading "doublespeak" like the phone companies use. It's like if I sell you a car for an agreed price and when you get here it's on blocks and I ask if you want tires and wheels with you new car. Extra of course.

Peace. Rob

I did go with the rollover plan. I had 3gb, unlimited talk and text and with taxes/fees was paying about $112/mo. I went down to 2gb and my bill is $70 and change.

Granted, I'm not on the road yet and currently have access to wi-fi most of the time... so I will probably have to change my plan when I finally hit the road.

linderlou said:
I did go with the rollover plan.  I had 3gb, unlimited talk and text and with taxes/fees was paying about $112/mo.  I went down to 2gb and my bill is $70 and change.  

Granted, I'm not on the road yet and currently have access to wi-fi most of the time... so I will probably have to change my plan when I finally hit the road.

I had the three gb plan too. Went to a four with rollover and was told my bill would stay very close to the same. Maybe I did it wrong, but mine went up quite a bit. 

Congrats on saving..Rob