Van wall thickness and bulletproofing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe you could provide partial protection to minimize your risk of a stray / intentional bullet. To bullet proof the whole vehicle is impractical as you are here, there and about during the day. How about just BP'ing a small section on each side of where you sleep which is maybe 33% of the day. Engine in front, spare tire in back, you might be able to get the protection you desire with just two pieces of steel 1' high by 6' long on each side of you. Quarter inch steel at that dimension would weight 60 lbs each.

Please take no offense at this but I cannot understand why anyone would want to stay in an area where they need to bulletproof their vehicle. The definition of nomad is one who moves from place to place.

I can understand the want for protection. Myself being shot at literally targeted at 4 times during my life. All out of the blue and all in what was considered safe places.

The last time I was fishing in my Pontoon and although I had a sidearm I did not return fire. Being 50yrds at least and myself in a Pontoon boat with a handgun and they with long arms I played dead. It worked. Law enforcement took 3hrs to respond.

They were arrested two months later taking random shots at drivers passing by and grazed a passenger in the neck.

A not so much bullet proof, but reinforced or padded area will be going around my sleeping quarters after reading this post. 

Most likely my books, water containers etc. A nice somewhat buffered safe spot would be a comfort to me sleeping in the forest. 

I will now also add trap doors leading to my basement storage areas for an escape access. 

Fwiw. 
Layers of anything will help plywood, fiberglass, books, water jugs, etc. 

There is no feeling quite as humbling as being shot at and dropping forward, head down knowing your done for. Meanwhile staring at your  . 45 knowing that an attempt at return fire would unleash all heck in your direction.

All being said I have camped literally years in the outdoors. Imho being shot at randomly is the very rare exception not the rule.

I consider being outdoors with just a sleeping bag safer than normal urban living with locked doors. Statistics are with the nomads. Many hear gunshots every night sitting on their own front porches.

Skyman6529 said:
...I will now also add trap doors leading to my basement storage areas for an escape access.... 
I have seen a couple of vans with roof decks, and trap doors from the bed to the roof deck. That vantage point would certainly give you the drop.

The ceiling trap door doubled as an openable skylight. 
~crofter

Skyman6529 said:
I can understand the want for protection. Myself being shot at literally targeted at 4 times during my life. All out of the blue and all in what was considered safe places.

The last time I was fishing in my Pontoon and although I had a sidearm I did not return fire. Being 50yrds at least and myself in a Pontoon boat with a handgun and they with long arms I played dead. It worked. Law enforcement took 3hrs to respond.

They were arrested two months later taking random shots at drivers passing by and grazed a passenger in the neck.

A not so much bullet proof, but reinforced or padded area will be going around my sleeping quarters after reading this post. 

Most likely my books, water containers etc. A nice somewhat buffered safe spot would be a comfort to me sleeping in the forest. 

I will now also add trap doors leading to my basement storage areas for an escape access. 

Fwiw. 
Layers of anything will help plywood, fiberglass, books, water jugs, etc. 

There is no feeling quite as humbling as being shot at and dropping forward, head down knowing your done for. Meanwhile staring at your  . 45 knowing that an attempt at return fire would unleash all heck in your direction.

All being said I have camped literally years in the outdoors. Imho being shot at randomly is the very rare exception not the rule.

I consider being outdoors with just a sleeping bag safer than normal urban living with locked doors. Statistics are with the nomads. Many hear gunshots every night sitting on their own front porches.
Thank you for actually answering the question Skyman, man these forums sure need more people like you.

A friend of mine once said that the worst trouble almost always comes from an unexpected direction.