Van Tour and Modification Thread!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Born2Explore

Reaction score
The wife and I just posted a video tour of our high top van! Since we made the video, we have already completed some major modifications thanks to the advice/input of some forum members! This is such an amazing community!!

We will be continuing to post updates here as we continue upgrading and modifying!

Some modifications we have already made:
Murphy Bed
Fold down table
Soft close drawer
Two under bed cabinets
Custom button up blackout curtains
New solar panels
Shoe organizer storage
Back-up camera
Replaced all bulbs with LED’s
Removed rooftop a/c and replaced with vent fan

Here is the Murphy Bed/Fold down table nearly complete!
d9800c65c721bde4415881d1c3e2e99e.jpg

Some Modifications we still plan to make:
Build office/desk in closet area
Install swivel seat
Remove microwave
Design/build removable dog gate to block cab space behind seats (any suggestions on this one? We want to be able to make the cab area sort of like a dog kennel)
Design support for fold down table
And more!

Any/all thoughts and comments are appreciated!

I just ordered 3/4” square dowel rods, which I think will be perfect to support the table when it is in use! I also plan to use a rod at the back top of the bed when it is folded up to stabilize it while driving.

Was going to originally use a metal turn buckle, but I think the wood will make a little less noise when going down the road!

Still waiting on the “U” brackets to mount the dowels, so I don’t have the rear of the bed stabilized yet. But we took the van for a 60 mile drive, up to 65mph at times, and no rattle or noise from the bed or table! We were super impressed! And the bed seemed very stable even without the dowel!

Just finished installing the “U” brackets and dowels for both the table support and the bed stabilizer today.

They are ROCK SOLID! Couldn’t be happier. The “U” brackets are meant to be used to hold up a bathroom stall wall, and are perfect for what I needed.

I am currently using the pins that came with the brackets to hold the dowels in, but I may replace them with a different style pin. (The current ones need to be hand screwed in and out each time we remove the dowel)

Hoping to focus on designing the removable dog gate for behind the seats when driving. We have a 3 day camping trip planned for the weekend after Thanksgiving and we are taking the dog, really want to get that figured out before then!

Table support
efff1416debd2ed8ef7d643af9f22018.jpg

Bed Stabilizer
c7a4409689ae5f57f800cf4bc5cef32f.jpg

Table support when not in use (velcroed)
65cbd0e2206f8a38e6cb0063cc95368b.jpg

Born2Explore said:
Hoping to focus on designing the removable dog gate for behind the seats when driving. We have a 3 day camping trip planned for the weekend after Thanksgiving and we are taking the dog, really want to get that figured out before then!

So was doing a little brainstorming for the dog gate, and found these "vertical pivot gates" on the web. Do they make dog gates you can buy that are already like this?

It seems that these would take up very little space when stored completely vertical, but still be strong when down.

Thoughts?

Vertical Lift Gate_03.jpg
Vertical Lift Gate_04.jpg

Attachments

• Vertical Lift Gate_03.jpg
    Vertical Lift Gate_03.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Vertical Lift Gate_04.jpg
    Vertical Lift Gate_04.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 8
highdesertranger said:
if you don't need it motorized.  it would be easy to build.  highdesertranger

I have a few 3/4" square dowels left over, those would be good for the vertical supports. You think 2x4 for the two main horizontal pieces, or something lighter? What would be good to use to secure the two together and still allow it to pivot?

I will get some measurements of the space later so I can have a better idea of the options for storage and figure out how large it needs to be to block the gap between the seats. 

Any ideas on other types of collapsible barricades or gates?

Thanks!!

Born2Explore said:
Any ideas on other types of collapsible barricades or gates?

Thanks!!

cargo nets
i'm still building, but planning to use them on my sliding doors so i can have the doors open and keep the dog inside
of course it depends on the dog ;)  mine is big and well behaved, but a small or more determined dog could go through it

Also, we officially finished the Murphy Bed and folding table earlier this week when we installed the new locking pins for the dowel supports!! We are going camping this weekend, so we will get a chance to check everything out. Can't wait!! Thanks for all of your input and advice to help us get the bed completed!

We just posted a video showing off the Murphy Bed design and function today, we also talk about some more future modifications coming soon!
Check it out if you're interested!

I know some of you out there are considering a Murphy Bed design for your van build, so we hope this gives you some ideas! In my opinion, it is a perfect balance between a permanently set up bed (bed sheets, pillows, etc.) and having an open area/walkway from front to back!

Latest posts