Van Life Lessons Learned

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargazer

Reaction score
Back in a S&B the past year after seven years living in vans and RV's.  Traveled every state except one (CT?  Drove right past and missed that turn), including several months in Alaska. My whole life before this was standard stuff, married, kids, jobs.  My husband died and I decided it was my turn so I built out my own van, shut down the house and off I went with my three little dogs.  I knew nothing.  I knew that I knew nothing.  Now?  I realize just how much those years and experiences have changed the way I see things.

1.  People are the same wherever you go.  Good guys, not so good guys.  Nothing surprises me anymore.

2.  Whatever comes my way, I can and will handle it, one way or another. So far, so good.

3.  Some days are good and full of wonderful surprizes!  Others not so much but I know those days will pass and who knows what wonderfulness is over that hill. Shift into low gear and haul yourself over it.  It's downhill on the other side.

4.  If the grid goes down, I will be fine.  I can wash my body with a cup of water.  I can catch food with a string and a hook and cook it if I have a match.  Or wth? It's not "raw fish", it's "sushi"!

5.  And for the ladies:  No More Makeup!  No more haircolor!  No more spending $$$ and hours trying to be someone I am not. That's just false advertising.  Why?  Men don't (generally) paint their faces and their clothes are better made, cheaper and the pockets are real pockets!  The fabrics are more sturdy.  I am not going out to chop wood or change a tire or build something wearing leggings and a little shirt that's not protection against even a mosquito.  Pooh on that.

6.  For the men:  Next time someone chastises you for leaving the toilet seat up, tell them they are at fault for leaving it down.  Who made up that rule anyway?  It is not your responsibility or fault if I fail to look before I sit.  Besides, people pay extra for a sitz bath (look it up).

7.  I like living alone.  Good thing because who would want this ole gal anyway!  ROFLMAO!!

And you?  Share your lessons if you dare.

Great post!

Kudos to you.  :heart:

I’ll add this:

Take the opportunity to do something helpful for others, whether handing down items on a high shelf to someone who is struggling to reach to volunteering to making warm items such as hats and scarves to donate.

Not a full timer yet, but gaining experience from weekends and roadtrips. Duct tape is awesome. Learning to travel solo is priceless. Dollar store is your friend. Practice peeing in a funnel. Know where to get free wifi. Learn to read a map as internet service is not always available. Spoil yourself with the best bedding. Have shelf food on hand for a rainy day in the middle of nowhere. Always have a Plan B ready and emergency funds on hand.

From a Newbie -

This thread is and will be priceless. I can't WAIT to see what else folks post!

Thank you, Stargazer!!!

All the Best,
Brandy

I'm still a part-timer newbie, so, not a whole lot to offer as of yet as I am still sponging up the experiences.

Make friends if you are a female camping solo. They can help out if a creepy camper wants to get to know you better against your will 0_0

Thank and appreciate your camp hosts.

If you have a breakdown, relax. While it might hurt the budget and curtail travel for a while, it's just part of life. Panicking does no one any good.

No one asks you who you vote for or what issues you support when you're in need of help. People are generally good and kind, sharing and helpful. Still assholes out there though, so be mindful.

Really, no one cares what you believe, what you wear, what you eat, or how you camp, as long as you're respectful and not trying to tell them what to do. People may offer suggestions. These are like hors d'oeuvres - pick and choose the ones that appeal to your tastes and graciously thank your hosts for sharing. It's okay to leave something on the plate.

People may gift you things (I was not expecting this) Be thankful and gracious, even if you did not need a purple oven mitt, someone you meet down the road might :)

Life is amazing, and when you approach it with that attitude, pretty amazing things and people cross your path. Embrace it, we are not guaranteed tomorrow.

I learned the west is not nearly as vast or vacant or wild as I thought. Im shocked how commercialized every little thing is.

This country is generally safe, and most people mean you no harm.

Use common sense when deciding where to stay, but greet everyone with a smile and say hello.

Strike up conversations with those who don’t look like you, dress like you or live like you.

You meet the nicest people on the road.

Regarding #6, as I have asked several women in my life, "Do you back into the bathroom with your eyes closed or something?"

And as for #1 through #4, yes, thumbs up!

For me its a smile on your face all the time (even when you're all alone!) because you get to live life this way.....with truly awesome people to say hi to all along your travels, they're just friends you haven't met yet!  Always a great story and something to learn from everyone.

Oh, and good shoes for a nice walk, a comfy chair, a warm hoodie, a cozy bed, drinking water and a few cans of corned beef hash stashed for good measure ... Sure doesn't get any better than that!

Really like this thread and all the replies, putting it on my gratitude list for today..thank you Stargazer for starting it and saying it so well!

Every one of those things on your list is the way I have always lived my life...despite being a woman.

It does not require living on the road to be and think that way. It is simply my nature.

My mother despaired of trying to turn me into a girlie girl by the time I was old enough as a toddle to let her know that no way was I going to have curlers put into my hair. As a teenage I wanted nothing to do with the lipsticks she tried to give me.

As to the toilet seat lid being left up I never had an issue with it. I just grab some TP to keep my hand clean and put the lid down when I find it up. But of course that means any guy who comes in after me has to lift it back up. So fair is fair is my thinking about such things. If a woman in the workplace or at home wants to be treated as an equal that is a good enough place to start by acting like one.

My great grand parents and great aunt I spent time with in the summers did not have running water or electricity. They also cooked and heated with a woodstove. So I grew up knowing how to take a sponge bath with a once a week Saturday night bath in a tin tub in the kitchen with the water heated on the stove. Kerosene lanterns for lights. Outhouse but a little emergency pan under the bed for night time (it was rattle snake country so no trips outside after dark for little kids). No TV, no radio except the one in the truck. I milked cows, gathered eggs, churned butter, washed my clothes on a washboard in the washtub we bathed in, wore a real sunbonnet made by Great Grand Mother as there was no sun screen around. I have always been grateful that as a child I got to experience that authentic old style of life in a much more modern age. It likely has a lot to do with being more adventurous and flexible in my attitudes towards where and how I live my life.

On the road two years this month. For me the most important thing I've learned is to make sure I can make coffee in the morning. Everything else I can cope with, as long as I have my coffee. It can even be instant coffee.

I have always been the only female in my household. But as far as the toilet seat being down, in my house, if wasn't down, the last male who left it up gets to clean the toilet. Four sons and husbands and they all sit down to pee (and still do while visiting). It's a small price to pay in order to avoid cleaning the toilet. You can have the best aim in the world, but it ain't gonna prevent some splashing. You splash it, you clean it.
Ted

Always carry an alternative form of transportion (bicycle/scooter/motorcycle/toad) with you to have fun, and to get closer to nature....also comes in handy when you break down.

Wow!  Awesome posts here!

Mr Noodly:  Question...I don't get why a gal would back into the toilet, well, except to sit down but I am missing something there.  And I enjoy your blog, btw.  Checked it out last night.

Ckelly:  my alternative transportation is my feet.  I carried a bicycle for a while, had a basket to carry my little dog, but discovered I was so busy watching where I was riding that I didn't enjoy it as much.  Walking let me see more.  And Kirby liked it, too.  Although on the bike her floppy shihtzu ears would fly back and that was pretty darned cute.  Lost her last April and still miss her terribly.  Am waiting till spring to get another.  She was a little traveler and we had great times on the road.

It's pretty cool to hear everybody's comments.  You newbies are in for a great ride!

Ted,

The boys cleaned the toilet if they left the seat up? I was raised with four brothers in a very traditional home. I think I would have liked your house rules better.

I came home from work one evening and my late husband said, "Come look what I did." He led me into the bathroom and said, "Look! I cleaned the bathroom!" It sparkled!! I told him "Wow, honey! You did a fantastic job!" He replied, "Take a good look because it's the last time I'm gonna do it." I had to laugh. He would cook, vacuum, do dishes. But that was the one and only time he did the bathroom.

Maki2,

We should all have been so lucky. I was raised on Emily Post. I remember my mother telling me that if dinner was going to be late, set the table first. When your husband came home from work and saw the table was set, he would think dinner would be on soon. Meh.

Latest posts