Van Dweller wannabe

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrobi

Reaction score
Hello I just turned 62 last Saturday. I have been working on gaining my health back with natural methods. After some serious side effects from physician prescribed medications (not pain meds). Doing pretty well but still have a ways to go. 
Needless to say I know longer trust the medical industry. I just traded my pickup for a ford Transit Connect. Boy it's small lol.
I have already built my bed and am working on some storage. Not wanting to do anything permanent in case I want to trade for something bigger after trying a few shorter trips. I'm hoping to make it to the RTR in Jan. 
I currently live in Northern idaho on 5 beautiful acres in an unconventional dwelling with 2 very spoiled felines. I feel Like I need to explore the USA now, because you never know how long you will be on this trip called life.

Redrobi

Welcome to the forum.
Hit the road and never look back. Best of luck setting up your new van :)

Welcome to the CRVL forums redrobi! Good luck with your plans. Hope to see you at the RTR!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

sounds like the perfect stage of your life to go off and explore! you might consider attending Jamie's Van Build Party in southern Arizona before the RTR. given you are just now building your van, it would be a great event to attend. the great thing is you bring your own supplies (wood, screws, wires, etc) for any one single project and they will get a crew of guys to build it for you for free. many people choose to get solar panels installed (just buy all the stuff and they will install it). it is a great way to get help with your build. in exchange you are asked to pay it forward with whatever skill you may have (cooking, woodworking, painting, general labor etc). details are announced on YouTube channel for Jamie (called Enigmatic Nomadic).

Thanks for the info 7wanders  :)  I have been following Jamie's channel. I will keep an eye out for the time and place.

Welcome! Do what you can when you can, and enjoy the journey! Best of luck with the build and your recovery.

Hello Redrobi!
Belated happy birthday!
"... 5 beautiful acres in an unconventional dwelling ..." picturing a nice home base!

Thank you for the BD wishes    :shy:
Yes a great home base. Not sure I could ever give up my shop  :cool:
Also hoping to make some good Van dwelling friends to possibly host on my property some day  :D

redrobi said:
Hello I just turned 62 last Saturday. I just traded my pickup for a ford Transit Connect. Boy it's small lol.
I have already built my bed and am working on some storage. Not wanting to do anything permanent in case I want to trade for something bigger after trying a few shorter trips. I'm hoping to make it to the RTR in Jan.  I feel Like I need to explore the USA now, because you never know how long you will be on this trip called life.

Redrobi

I started my social security when I was 62 & went down to Ft Vancouver Nat Historic site & bought my Senior pass to get into the National parks, monuments, seashores, rec areas  etc for free & half off if I want to camp there.

You're correct about never knowing how long & time is the most valuable thing we have!

Someone mentioned Jamie's build by Lake Havasu in November.  Just hanging out with other vandwellers even if you don't need to build a van is good. Meet like minded people...
A few years back I went to the Quartzsite/Ehrenberg in November and just hung out until the RTR in January. Had a great Thanksgiving, a memorable Christmas and just hung out with some good people. Getting down there early was a good idea!

Welcome to the forum Redrobi
I know why you mean about health issues , of course mine are different then yours. Good luck getting everything how you want on your build . There are a lot of videos out there on builds plus the people here are great . Ask away and they’ll help . I’ll be heading out mid November when cleared to travel by my surgeon. He laughed when I told him my plans 7 months ago to live in a RV. But promised me I would be ready to travel by November. So far he’s done his job. He asked me in June when I had my last surgery if I was still leaving and I said yes . I think it’s amusing to him that after what happened to me I would as he says , leave civilization to live in an RV on blm land and national parks. I told him he depends on his big paycheck and house too much . Anyway good luck hope to cya at RTR