Van build so far

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpdchief

Reaction score
So, as previously, told my employer gave me a 1992 GMC G30 Rally STX van. Money has been tight and progress slow, but, here are pictures of what we've managed so far. As you look, imagine a 12v fridge between the front seats and the Coleman two burner on top of the counter. Plug in installed under left taillight for 110v and connector under right taillight for freestanding solar panel. Next to hanging closet will be shelf unit. Batteries will be under bed and I have run wires to front dash for dual 12v socket (one for starting battery and one for house battery) for fridge. Bonus, I can plug jumper between the two to charge house battery while driving if needed. Jury is out on the Maxxair II cover, it might go away - looks like hell, but, I like the idea of protection from hail and leaving it open in rain. Full size bed across the back    OK, here ya go, let me know what you think.

Attachments

• New van.JPG
    New van.JPG
    147.1 KB
  • Van1.jpg
    Van1.jpg
    141.8 KB
  • new ceiling.jpg
    new ceiling.jpg
    115.6 KB
  • new carpet.jpg
    new carpet.jpg
    130.6 KB
  • dresser & counter top.jpg
    dresser & counter top.jpg
    141.4 KB
  • 14.5 inch hanging closet.jpg
    14.5 inch hanging closet.jpg
    126.3 KB
  • Maxxair II.jpg
    Maxxair II.jpg
    121.3 KB
  • Maxxair II 2.jpg
    Maxxair II 2.jpg
    139.3 KB
Curtain will cover long windows. Tip out windows on barn doors and above counter will get bug screens. TV (wifes idea) will go beside closet. Lots of room for tote storage under bed, solar panel will store inside back doors when moving. Work in progress....

Added cover in front of propane tank and built poor mans drawer with apiece of political sign for drawer bottom til I can get right size wood...hey. poor folk gots poor ways. Mounted double 12v cig receptacle on counter top next to bed for charging cell phone and to plug in 12v electric blanket. [gotta keep momma warm ;-) ] Also added new clear LEDs to the parking lights - makes it different looking than the usual solid amber. Still waiting for two post connectors for dash to plug in 12v fridge, fuse block and inline fuse holders so I can complete wiring.
Progress marches on.

Attachments

• cabinet.jpg
    cabinet.jpg
    148.7 KB
  • drawer.jpg
    drawer.jpg
    127.5 KB
  • front LEDs.jpg
    front LEDs.jpg
    131.8 KB
So cool! How exciting!!!!! Thanks for sharing--it's encouraging to see:)

Is the propane tank generally inside people’s van? Do you provide venting for the tank as is done with all RVs? Safety is always #1!

New additions. YES... the propane storage will be vented out the sidewall. No labels with pics.. plug on right rear of van is for solar panel, room for six black totes under bed.

Attachments

• $80 tire carrier.jpg
    $80 tire carrier.jpg
    209.6 KB
  • 5 ft cabinet.jpg
    5 ft cabinet.jpg
    236.3 KB
  • fuse block.jpg
    fuse block.jpg
    209.4 KB
  • charge controller.jpg
    charge controller.jpg
    217 KB
  • Propane Mod.jpg
    Propane Mod.jpg
    196.9 KB
  • plugs for phone and electric blanket.jpg
    plugs for phone and electric blanket.jpg
    178.4 KB
  • room for 6 black totes + some.jpg
    room for 6 black totes + some.jpg
    221.1 KB
  • shore power.jpg
    shore power.jpg
    171.5 KB
  • solar plug-in.jpg
    solar plug-in.jpg
    174.2 KB
  • Dual dash plugs.jpg
    Dual dash plugs.jpg
    223.6 KB
:D Your van is looking good.  Have ya'll been able to travel any in it so far?  Every time I see a big van with all that room I wonder what all I can get in the Safari. 

Folks in minivan rigs and other small vehicles have my admiration on their downsizing skills.

Jewellann

Thanks Jewellann,
:shy:  Going to start short camping trips to work out the bugs and see what Jeanne wants changed. With the windows it limits arrangements, but, windows can be covered if she decides on an overhead storage. I can't imagine using all the space we have now - nobody needs that much stuff.

Looks like a great start. It’s amazing how a trip or two will help you “see” what you will want in your van.

Professional van build going so far! That's an easy tag to remember if I see you on the road ;)

I just came across this today! It looks awesome! How is the progress coming along? Our build looks very similar. It does seem like a lot of space, but we just started downsizing so I’m currently in “stuff” withdrawal wondering if I’ll have enough space ?

I have a 93 Chevy van and I want some of those tilt out windows. Haven't found any though. Your build out is similar to some things I did. I stopped at good enough on mine.

Latest posts