Valley Fever

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonLea

Reaction score
Those of you living in the South west are no doubt familiar with a fungal disease called "Valley Fever."  (Google it.)  It is a nasty infection that creates breathing, lung, joint and brain injury.  Arizona is a horrible hotspot and you AND your dog can be affected.  

Since returning to Oregon from Arizona, my dog's lungs have collapsed TWICE.  She has issues walking and she is only four years old.  I have had her repeatedly at the OSU Veterinary Hospital.  Finally, with all the testing, they were able to identify Valley Fever as the culprit.  She will require another expensive hospital stay to administer the treatment.  I have spent almost $8000 in vet bills and am not done.  The reason it took so long to get a diagnosis is because it almost never happens in this part of the country.  

Just a heads up when traveling with your pet.  Be aware of symptoms and catch it early.  

I am selling my Van and moving into my pick up truck to help with the cost.  I have a pet insurance policy that covers emergencies like this up to 80% of the total bill.  I would never have been able to provide her with the care she has received if I did not keep a dedicated savings account and purchase insurance.  The policy is only $50 per month.  I highly recommend it.  

Her prognosis is "guarded".  I'm convinced if she dies, I will too.   

I don't want ANYONE else to go through this.