USPS Priority mail question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVTravel

Reaction score
What happens if a friend mails me something to a USPS post office general delivery and I do not pick it up on time? Does it go back to sender if a return address is present?

I’m not sure you can get something Priority Mail to general delivery, so would check with the post office where you would expect to receive it and see what they say.
You can get priority mail using the general delivery system. I have done it in lots of places over the last 3 years. Getting ready to do it again!

If you have an emergency delay getting there look up the phone number for that post office and talk to them. The local supervisor may or may not help you by holding it an extra day or two. Some smaller post offices are pretty friendly that way but not all of them are.

I'm a retired postmaster. Postal regulations give time periods when different types of parcels must be returned. The main thing is to communicate with the post office. If a customer calls and asks us to hold the parcel, we will. If we don't hear from you.......it will be returned to sender. If it does not have a return address.......it goes to the dead mail center for processing.