USPS Denied Me a PO Box though I Have the 2 forms of ID they Require

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weight said:
If you have a "catholic charities address", why not use that?
I am going to try and get my DL today with it as proof of residency! Wish me luck?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Alas, you are running into the Real ID Act. And there's no way to avoid it.

You'll have to suck up and do what they want.

My PO Box (USPS) required a 7 point identification.

Weight said:
My PO Box (USPS) required a 7 point identification.

Florida is horrible about PO boxes. You have to have DL, voter registration, and a bill, rental agrement or lease proving you live at that address. To get your first DL, you need a birth certificate, a SS card and two proofs of residence, plus you have to sign an affidavit that you live at that residence for more than 6 months a year. There are actually services where you can buy a fake letter saying that you rent a room there, with a phone number that can be called to have someone verify it. Of course, that's illegal, but it still exists.

Yep, Real ID, 100% standard, will be everywhere in the years to come.

Two forms of I.D. is the hook here. I recently opened a P.O. box but my two forms of I.D. was a drivers license and Passport.

Illlinois is finally getting on the Real ID bus, they're one of the last states to comply and it's ticking off state workers a bunch... trying to renew your driver's license is about as much fun as a root canal these days.

When I transferred my license from Florida to Pennsylvania I had to present Real ID paperwork--but the state didn't have any Real-ID-compliant licenses yet, so I don't have the little gold star on my license (and the CDC Museum in Atlanta wouldn't let me in because of that, dammit). So theoretically, they tell me, when i renew in 2019 (I think everyone in the US who isn't Real-ID-compliant has to renew in 2019), I should be "automatically" issued a compliant gold-star license, without having to present paperwork again. We'll see.........

I once opened a PO box in a small town in Mass because we were planning to relocate there. I lived in AZ, gave them my info, and just said we were moving there. No problem. Maybe try that.
We NEVER used the PO box as I ended up taking a better position at home. I just mailed the keys back to my own box with a note for the Postmaster telling them we were done with it.

Things aren't done now the same way as before, even just a few years have brought many changes in these topic areas

Perseverance said:
What if your homeless like me? I am using a Catholic Charities address and they said I can get a driver's license with it!

I just got my DL today and registration/title yesterday with a Catholic Charities address and no problems[emoji106]

Weight said:
If you have a "catholic charities address", why not use that?
I did and all went through great[emoji106] I'm very grateful!

Real ID is active in New Mexico. (In CA where I came from, it is optional until 2020.) Have to jump through major hoops to establish residency in NM. I am still deciding whether to do it. The fact is, I need the things NM requires so I might as well spend the money and order them (and this time not lose them). But... they want my divorce record from 20+ years ago, kid you not. They want to know all the names I've ever used. Another fee, and another wait time for the document. It's easier to just do what they want and get it over with.

I have a feeling we're going to be saying "this is the new normal" every month if not every week for the foreseeable future.

PS as for a PO Box, the PO where I am gave me absolutely no trouble. I just said I was moving here, and needed to use my friend's physical address to open a box. He said he wasn't really supposed to do that but it was OK. (I'm old but still fairly cute.)

Wow you must be! :cool:

Didn't even want a postmarked piece of mail addressed to you at that house?

Used to be, that, a library card and Voter Reg card was enough, might still work some places.

Some "utilities" are easy to get an account started, heard of prepaid cell account working.

I got a printout from my insurance company because on it they list the physical location of where the vehicle will be. Not sure if this helps fulltimers.