Using existing venting in (re)conversion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vantopia

Reaction score
Hello all! in the process of reconverting my GMC Vandura 2500 (LWB). theres an existing a/c unit in the back that i want to remove and put in an inline blower like 3" 120 CFM Inline Blower. currently the a/c intake is inside the van but I'd have it sucking in from outside. this will let me use the 4 vents already incorporated into the van.

questions:
1)any disadvantages over the fantastic/roof vents?
2) can these styles blowers work either way? if not should i have it sucking from the vents our venting in?
3)any recommendations for brand (preferably with low current since I'm going to be trying to go all solar)
4) what about noise? are these things loud? can it be insulated for?

Attachments

• IMG_1382.JPG
    IMG_1382.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1381.JPG
    IMG_1381.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1383.JPG
    IMG_1383.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Welcome to the CRVL forums Vantopia! Unfortunately, I don't know the answers to any of your questions. Hopefully, someone else here on the forums will have some experience to share.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

well I can say this those blowers are not very efficient, they are only meant to be on while the engine is running. I would find out the current draw before attempting this mod. oh yeah welcome Vantopia. highdesertranger

well this particular blower is 4 amps, i believe the fantastic fan (considered fairly efficient if I'm not mistaken) is 3 amps. ill also be having 400 amp hours worth of deep cycle going in under the van being fed by 300w solar on the roof so I'm not too worried about power, I'm more worried about noise and if one of these style of fans (using the existing vents) will give us enough ventilation.

heres one thats 120 cfm and appears to be pretty quiet:
http://www.attwoodmarine.com/userfiles/store/product/files/432/1731.pdf

1) will 120 cfm be enough to keep my van cool in summer (at least at night?)
2) should i a) have it pushing air out and put a passive vent in the floor some place b) have it pushing air in and have the blower intake be vented from under the van

if this isn't going to be enough then ill probably just rip it all out and put a fantastic in. just not a lot of roof space with the panels left but i might be able to move it around. i saw an install with it in the back window but i don't like that you'll easily be able to see in my van then

Vantopia said:
heres one thats 120 cfm and appears to be pretty quiet (and 2.6 amps):
http://www.attwoodmarine.com/userfiles/store/product/files/432/1731.pdf

1) will 120 cfm be enough to keep my van cool in summer (at least at night?)
2) should i a) have it pushing air out and put a passive vent in the floor some place b) have it pushing air in and have the blower intake be vented from under the van

if this isn't going to be enough then ill probably just rip it all out and put a fantastic in. just not a lot of roof space with the panels left but i might be able to move it around. i saw an install with it in the back window but i don't like that you'll easily be able to see in my van then

Vantopia said:
theres an existing a/c unit in the back that i want to remove and put in an inline blower like 3" 120 CFM Inline Blower. currently the a/c intake is inside the van but I'd have it sucking in from outside.

If I were you I wouldn't remove the built-in back A/C, especially when it's connected to the engine. If you move alot you can take advantage of the A/C, cooling the back-end down to be comfortable for a while after parked. Especially just to put a blower in one of the vents.

If you are worried about resale value or stealth, cut the holes where it's reversable (holes in metals can be welded with plating and covered over) and not too visible outside. So in the floor or on centerline on the roof, painted in the same color as the rest of the roof to blend in.

Once one cuts their first hole, they become less reluctant to cut the next holes.