Using a High Lift as Winch with a 1-ton?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cortttt

Reaction score
I got a hi-lift jack - I'm glad I did. Using two bottle jacks took a lot of energy and time but lifting that GMC one-ton with the hi-lift jack was not easy. I had to lean hard on that bar. I got the tire up much quicker but it was a real bear. 

Given that I wonder if its even possible to use the hi-lift as a winch to move the van if necessary?

A lot of times just putting a little pressure on the tires with the winch creates enough traction to get you out.

I have "winched" full-sized Pick-up trucks and Jeeps with a Hi-Lift.
It does work, but it's a PITA due to the jack wanting to pivot as you apply pressure and the short pull length before you need to take a new bite.
What usually ends up happening is you use about half of the pull of the High-Lift just to get the slack/stretch out of the straps.
You might want to consider a Maasdam rope or wire puller, a little easier to use because you can do longer pull lengths.

BinDerSmokDat said:
I have "winched" full-sized Pick-up trucks and Jeeps with a Hi-Lift.
It does work, but it's a PITA due to the jack wanting to pivot as you apply pressure and the short pull length before you need to take a new bite.
What usually ends up happening is you use about half of the pull of the High-Lift just to get the slack/stretch out of the straps.
You might want to consider a Maasdam rope or wire puller, a little easier to use because you can do longer pull lengths.

Thanks everyone....I had trouble getting back into the Forums - but thanks for the suggestion. Never thought of a wire puller. 

Glad to hear you could move them with the hi-lift.  I regret now getting the 48" instead of the 60"....darn. Just a couple of bucks more!

bullfrog said:
A lot of times just putting a little pressure on the tires with the winch creates enough traction to get you out.

Interesting! Good to know.