Using 120v electric blanket on inverter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Riverman said:
You can not measure watts or amps with a multimeter,

You can measure volts.

A multimeter will not tell you anything about power consumed.

You need a kill o watt meter (Harbor Freight Tools) to see hot many watts you are using.

i dont know what sort of multimeter you are using, but EVERY multimeter i have ever had in my hands measured atleast volts,amps and ohms. that is why it is called a MULTI meter, you know, it measure multiple things. the vast majority of multimeters will measure low and medium voltage DC volts usually a 20v and 200v scale also medium scales for AC volts several scales of ohms (resistance) and current/amps/milliamps. even the $5 harbor fright will measure 5 amps current, the older ones i have from harbor fright measured 10 amps, and there are hacks to bump that up considerably if youre a geek and like to tinker.

yes you actually have to have some skill and knowledge of how to use these multimeters, but they are not hard. to measure amps with the cheap multimeters you need to "install" the meter "inline". with low volt DC that is usually pretty easy just disconnect the wire going to the battery or load bar, touch one of the meter leads to the battery/load bar and the other to the wire going to the device. then turn on the device (helps if you were born with a third hand) and read the amps from the meter. make sure the anticipated current is less than the rated current on the multimeter or you will blow the fuse. bacck in the day when i was using analog multimeters most of the ones i had would only read a few milliamps so make sure or you will blow the fuse. measuring amps in an AC circuit is a little more involved. since most cords for AC appliances and tools and such will have duplex (or triplex) wires where the hot and neutral and maybe a ground will all be encased in a single cord. you need to separated or isolate the wire inside the cord to be able to measure the current in just one. you can make a super cheap adapter for this purpose from an old short cord. if you dont have an extra one lying around just grab a short one from the thrift store. then strip the outer sheath off for a ways and you will have access to the individual wires inside. cut the one you want to measure and "insert" your multimeter leads there. remember now you are dealing with higher volts and AC, it can hurt or kill you so follow safety precautions to make sure you dont get shocked. you can get fancy and splice in any number of fittings and even a switch to make it multifunctional you also need something similar to this if you have a fancier clamp style or ring type inductive (hall effect) pickup

once you know the amps and the volts, a little math will tell you the watts Volts * Amps = Watts and if you want to know amp hours or watt hours consumed over time, then use a timer and add it up. i have been known in a pinch to set my gopro up doing time lapse like 1 pic every 5 seconds then put a clock or other time piece so it gets recorded by the gopro and some sort of indicator that will show when the device cycles on. then come back later and load the timelapse on my computer and scrub through the video to see how much the device was on/off. not as easy as a "kil-O-watt" but it sure can be done

if all you can measure with a meter is volts, that is a "volt meter" not a "multimeter"

I'm an old geezer and I learnt on VTVM's, and old-school VOM's like the Simpson 260.

The old VTVM's and most VOM's usually measured volts and ohms only, had a 'zero adjustment', and a mirrored scale to help reduce parallax errors.

You get a bonus point if you understood any of this without googling it. No cheating!

:p

i started with a VOM with zero adjustment. it was a snapon i won in a high school competition.

never played with the mirrored scale though...

I used a Simpson 260M meter for years when I was doing paging systems. The M in the model number indicates it has a mirror for the parallax error.

I am old, I started out burning up screw drivers and looking to see if it sparked. We had individual meters and Amp meters came with different resisters to measure across, no just turning a knob. When I went into service I got issued a multimeter and later got a scope which was a big cabinet style but was wonderful as you could visually see voltages. I stuck around through the developement of transistors but left before microprocessors. I am totally amazed at how test equipment has become so advanced and affordable. My dual trace scope was thousands of dollars and my multimeters were not cheap, now Harbor Freight gives them away!

Some new gear, some old gear...the old meters still work, I use them often.

moto_20181229_123556.jpg

Attachments

• moto_20181229_123556.jpg
    moto_20181229_123556.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 10
Truth of the matter is in most cases I like watching a needle sweep better than a digital number flash but they do have their place.

I like the analog (needle) meters the best as if there is any sag or surge/pulse you can see how much of a swing it has rather than numbers jumping all over the place. With that said, the only two meters I carry are both digital. My beloved Simpson 360M was stolen in the '70's and I never replaced it. Stopped doing paging systems.

:shy:
B and C said:
I used a Simpson 260M meter for years when I was doing paging systems.  The M in the model number indicates it has a mirror for the parallax error.

I used a Simpson meter many years ago with mirror. Brings back memories.  Most people I work with now do not know what parallax is.  ?

Several bonus points earned above!

:cool:

I remember when analog volt ohm meters (VOMs) were cheap and digital multi meters (DMMs) were expensive. Now it's the other way around...

I saw Simpson 260's listed on Amazon for over $300.

My first multimeter had a mirrored scale. I used it to measure all sorts of stuff. And I did find out quickly that the 250ma MAX rating for the ammeter function was not just a suggestion. Lol. I had a 3 amp 12v regulated power supply for my CB and did all sorts of experiments. I miss my old CB rig. I had an anton a99 16ft antenna about 20ft up a tree outside my window. And as I was on a hill I could reach people all over my home town. Even some of the naughty folks using illegal amplifiers couldn't reach as far as I could. :p

Low277 said:
Most people I work with now do not know what parallax is.  ?

I understand parallax but haven't figured out (without googling) what role it would play on a meter.  Don't tell me, will keep pondering.

I'll never tell.... ok I would. But pondering is a good thing.