Useful YouTube series from a veteran mechanic

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNoodly

Reaction score
Scotty Kilmer has been a mechanic over 50 years and has a bunch of videos about cars and car care. For example, here's one about why fuel mileage decreases over time:

And here's one about things you can do to increase mileage:

And one about buying car batteries:

His style might grate on some people, but there's some good advice about maintenance and what scams to avoid.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuxpxCCevIlF-k-K5YU8XPA

He almost yells when he speaks, doesn't he?

Still, it looks like he's worth listening to. I watched the vid about changing a battery. I've had a vague notion that maybe modern cars should not be allowed to go electrically dead. But I never looked into it. He made it clear that this is an issue.

As a mechanic Scotty is rather elementary.  I'm a former ASE Master Auto Technician...and the guy who I most admire and definitely knows his $#iT is FordTechMakuloco...  That guy is totally dialed!

Doubleone said:
As a mechanic Scotty is rather elementary.  

I imagine his intended audience is those who don't know much about their cars. And they don't all drive Fords. :)

I love watching his videos. I've actually learned quite a bit from him.

he also has a website and a link to somewhere where you can personally ask him questions. its like a forum of some sort but its on his website for anyone thats interested. don't have a link but if you google his name you'll find it.

Doubleone said:
As a mechanic Scotty is rather elementary.  I'm a former ASE Master Auto Technician...and the guy who I most admire and definitely knows his $#iT is FordTechMakuloco...  That guy is totally dialed!

I've watched Scotty's videos for years and have learned a lot from him. He's very prejudiced against certain car companies to an almost ridiculous extent. Loves his Toyotas. Some of his advise I consider questionable, but it's by far mostly solid. I think he tries to tell it like it is as best he can.  His tool recommendations have always been good.

Completely agree on FordTechMakuloco-an awsome mechanic who's videos have helped me out on numerous occasions.

I have to second the "Scotty is grossly prejudiced...and lets his prejudice over-ride common sense" sentiment.
As for folks trying to learn basic wrenching...and what does what and how under the hood...a great resource.

I've been watching this guy all week! He is definitely worth watching. He kind of reminds me of a guy in a used car dealership commercial...

I've also been watching Chris Fix....has some really straight forward videos on lots of different maintenance and repairs....also has a sweet video on deep cleaning your engine and engine bay...

I watch his videos too and they are elementary and helpful.  They are helpful but sometimes slanted but I keep watching them. As for the suggestion about the other site and the deep cleaning the engine be wary of those who would have you use a powerwasher around electrical connections or components, especially if you have a GM engine with knock sensors under the plenum.

Latest posts