Used 2004 Chevy Astro- rip off?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahanlon13

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I’m looking into buying a 2004 Chevy Astro to convert and live in full-time. I found one in excellent condition for $7500 with specs described below. I searched for it’s Kelly blue book value and it doesn’t exceed $4,000... but I think it may be worth it for a van that won’t have any major issues any time soon. I’m also hesitant to spend that much on an older van though and I would end up having to remove that van liner. I spoke with the owner and he said he’s willing to drop it to $6500, but he just put it on the market and is in no rush to sell. The pictures look great and I’m going for a test drive tomorrow. There are lots of Astros for sale much cheaper on Craigslist, but none with such low mileage and in such great shape.
Thank for your help!

Van is in excellent shape, you won't find one cleaner. Was used by a mobile mobile auto detailer before I purchased it to haul my motorcycle. No rush to sell. Includes many extras such as:
Kenwood Bluetooth touch screen CD player
Back up camera
Infinity speakers with Bass Tube
Full Masterack van liner with cargo hooks and bulkhead
Power windows
Window raingaurds
Windows are tinted, rear winows are blacked out with tint
Towing hitch
New alternator
New transmission cooler and lines
New exhaust
4 new Power Stop cross drilled rotors with Carbon brake pads
4 new KYB Monomax shocks
4 new tires
Fresh oil
No Check Engine light
A/C blows cold
No issues, $7500 obo

Don't be starstruck, impatient or that naive fish that comes along and pays too much. It is a 2004 after all, regardless of the mileage, time always takes a toll. Everything looks good in Craig's pics. Lol.
KBB is usually at the high end. And he is asking double.
He may have just put it up for sale, but it may stay that way for a long time at that price. Especially in the winter.

Can you be patient to wait and see? Are you in a high value area where prime vehicles command higher prices? If so, can you seek a cheaper area, usually rural to save money?

Regardless, before you buy, take it to a knowledgeable mechanic that you can trust.

Thank you for your response. I am definitely feeling starstruck said:
Don't be starstruck, impatient or that naive fish that comes along and pays too much. It is a 2004 after all, regardless of the mileage, time always takes a toll. Everything looks good in Craig's pics. Lol.
KBB is usually at the high end. And he is asking double.
He may have just put it up for sale, but it may stay that way for a long time at that price. Especially in the winter.

Can you be patient to wait and see? Are you in a high value area where prime vehicles command higher prices? If so, can you seek a cheaper area, usually rural to save money?

Regardless, before you buy, take it to a knowledgeable mechanic that you can trust.

Sounds like pride of ownership. For what you're using it for, the price is too high. Someone "into" astros likely would be interested as there is a niche market for them. There is something to be said to find an owner that cares about their vehicle.

I am always hesitant when I see " no check engine light" I bought my suburban like that too, previous owner said no check engine light...well he was right..... it was not on when he showed it to me for the test drive, 2 days later AFTER purchase said engine light came on. So bewary.. Also new tranny cooler ask why he needed a new one etc..

I had the same reaction to the "no check engine light" and new tranny cooler.  I get the feeling this van has seen some (or maybe a lot) of heavy towing duty.  $6500 sounds way too high.

I paid 750 for my 86 astrovan 5 years ago, its proven very reliable. You can probably find something alot cheaper, even with more mileage on them wont be a deal breaker.
7500 is too much, for a 10 plus year old van, I might go as high as 3000, but you can buy it an a month later will need major work, with used vehicles you can never tell, no matter how well you check them.