urban camping in Vermont

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshall

Reaction score
Hello. We are headed to Lebanon and White River Junction Vermont. Can anybody help me and let me know street parking regulations and other places to camp up in that area on the cheap? We will be at the VAMC there so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

do a search for LONG TRAIL and camping parking nearby.  The VA police will patrol the parking lots so dont stay there.

If you have a loved one getting treatment there, sometimes the VA has free accomodations for significant relatives.&nbsp; Check to see if they have no cost accomodations.&nbsp; many volunteers service groups provide help for relatives of veterens to be nearby.&nbsp; You can check with AMERICAN LEGION, or with VFW inside the VAMC as they usually have office there.&nbsp; You can also find the ELKS CLUB and see if you can park-camp on their facilities, as they have that available, especially to help the family of a veteren.<br><br>

<p>I can tell you not to try overnight parking at any rest area on Interstates 89 or 91, it is against the law in VT and they do enforce it. &nbsp;The VA has a relatively large visitor parking lot, I would just ask if you are able to park there overnight. &nbsp;There are also a few hotels in the immediate area, &nbsp;Fairfield Inn and Suites, Holiday Inn Express and Super 8 are the National chains there. &nbsp;Super 8 is across a lawn from Visitor parking. &nbsp;The other 2 hotels are a little further away but still almost in walking distance.</p><p>If I didn't want to pay for a hotel room, I would park at one of the hotels after dark and in the morning move my vehicle to visitor parking.&nbsp;</p>

People want to stay in vermont during the summer.&nbsp; so prices do get expensive.

Keep in mind Vermont has some blm land up there. White Mountain national Forest is up there too.

There are no BLM lands in New England that I'm aware of and I lived there for 35 years. &nbsp;There are Public Lands managed by The Trust for Public Land but they are not even close to anything you will find out west and they won't be receptive to vandwellers or any other "dweller" type. at all. <br><span style="font-size: 13px;"><br>Quechee State park is just a few miles west of WRJ on Rte 4. Sites were in the 16/night range last time I was in that area.&nbsp;<br><br>WMNF is a 2+ hour drive north, GMNF is south and on the other side of the state. &nbsp;<br>&nbsp;<br>It's an odd area, no really big town/towns but what is there are big draws. In WRJ is the VA hospital and across the river in Lebanon is Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center. &nbsp;Lots of college professor and doctor types. Not the kind of people that will look kindly on someone sleeping in their van or rv on their street. Nimby, ya know?<br></span><span style="font-size: 13px;">&nbsp;&nbsp;</span><span style="font-size: 13px;"><br><br><br></span>

There is a Walmart about 5 mi or less away in Lebanon NH- don't know the parking policy though.<br>WRJ has&nbsp;a bus terminal- no parking, there is also an Amtrak station- parked there a few years back, don't know current policy.<br>I'd not be shy about asking at the VA, if you have legit business there....or trying a stealth (late in, early departure) at one of the many motels right near the hospital....<br>I have overnighted at the Dartmouth Hospital in Hanover with no issues.

I am very grateful for all your responses and you all have given me much to think about. Thank you and may the Lord bless you all. Thanks

Latest posts