Ups store address and the DMV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sephiro499

Reaction score
As long as I had all the requisite documents they require, can I use that address for my license? I've read that you should just put #XXX instead of PMB (private mail box?)#XXX and mail will reach it just fine.

sephiro499 said:
As long as I had all the requisite documents they require, can I use that address for my license? I've read that you should just put #XXX instead of PMB (private mail box?)#XXX and mail will reach it just fine.
it depends on the state, some specifically prohibit the use of such services (they have a fancy name for em..)

A lot has changed since 9/11 happened. My driver license still shows my PO Box address. But I've had that same address for some 15 years, way before 9/11 occurred. I don't believe one can have a PO Box address listed for a driver license anymore, at least not in my state. Heck, even have the same picture on my license which makes me look like a young kid in college. Nowadays there are so many additional requirements mandated by the government related to mailbox services. I guess that's good for combatting terrorism. Not so much for us van dwellers.

I still keep an active UPS Mailbox service for the past several years. When I first signed up, they required me to show 2 forms of ID that proves I live at a particular residence. So I showed them my Comcast cable bill plus a utility bill and that satisfied that requirement. Unfortunately, I would have a hard time nowadays proving my residence since I know longer have a landlord to pay rent to.

TN still allows it (or my daughter is "grandfathered" in). When we had a TN address (UPS store then a private mail service) we used the following format (address is the UPS Store we used to use). The UPS Store told us how to write our address. Our mailing address was established long before 9/11. Although the second address we used (Mail Call out of Cleveland TN) was gotten after 9/11. So far theonly place we have had a problem is with the morons at the Roswell NM DMV/MDV. Apparently they have never had to deal with anyone who had all their utilities included in their rent (ABQ says Roswell is staffed by idiots and to go to another DMV/MVD).

First Last Name or Business Name
5251 Hwy 123, Suite 123 (use the mail box number for the Suite)
Hixson, TN 37343

My suggestion is that you get a private mail box. There are lots. Pick an area that you can travel to every few years in case you have to show up in person to renew a driver's license should it be necessary. Don't believe the folks that say you can ALWAYS renew online. That's what I thought until I had 2 days to make a 1700 mile trip OR get a NM driver's license. I now have a NM driver's license. Owning a vacant piece of land to use as a homebase will solve a lot of gov related problems that we have run into.

Florida allows us to renew online every other time. I did this last time I renewed my FL DL, so next time I need to visit Selma & Patty in person. Whoopee....... :-(

At least you know. I did not. Apparently TN did not advertise the fact that every third time you renew, it has to be in person.

Well I just got back from the Registry here in Canada.  Successfully registered my drivers license to a UPS Box.

I noticed they didn't write "Suite" in front of the address.

So it looks like 555 123 Streetname Rd South.  Hopefully it makes sense to the mailman.

There was also some fine print about using a real physical home address, not a po box.  I wish I had another way of registering myself but the rent prices here would drive me into serious debt.  Anyway for now it looks like there's no problems, maybe someone else can share their experience here in Canada.

most states will allow you to use a second address as the mail only address.

most state require a residential address withing the state to get a drivers license. some require more "proof" than others

most if not all states are issuing "federal real id" compliant licenses and these require even more "proof"

some states (or at least last year they did) will give you the option of a non compliant license. might be worth asking?

My experience is only here in Arizona, but we are finally enforcing compliance with the federal "Real ID" edicts, and my understanding is it will be harmonized and duplicated everywhere.

Significantly, you MUST provide a RESIDENTIAL address. The federal regulations simply do not reccognize or consider that there is anyone who does not have a fixed location out of which they domicile, even if only temporarily. P.O. boxes are forbidden for use on driver licenses here now, and any sort of address you submit needs to jive with the main master computer at DMV, or it will be rejected.

I have a friend who lives in a small unincorperated part of Navajo County, which is situated along an identified Forest Service fire road. He receives no mail there and of necessity has a P.O. box in nearby Happy Jack. Prior to the Real ID Act, he gave the P.O. box as his address and it was fine by the state. But last year when he had to renew, they refused to unless he gave them is residential address,...which he did not have to give. After having to go make copies of his property deed papers and satelite photos and returning to DMV to pinpoint for them where and why he had no address to give them,...they CREATED ONE FOR HIM and entered the new residential "target" (yes, that's what they call it) into the state's master registry of domiciles. His address is now Lot #1, FSR #***, Happy Jack, Az.

So soon, there shall be no anonymous hermit cabins anywhere,...unless you never get a driver license.

there is no federal law that states you must get one. but with out one you will need to provide some other form of ID like a passport in order to board a commercial flight and maybe some other federal things. many states fought this but the feds threatened to withhold federal money from states not issuing real id compliant licenses. also, state citizens that flew wanted them. so fast forward to now and most if not all states are real id compliant.

some, maybe most cheaped out and only offer real id compliant licenses. in these state there are work arounds with homeless shelters and or churches alowing you to use their address. who knows how long this will last or if it will be challenged from either side on constitutional grounds

the other part is some states are offering choices. for example minnesota give you the choice of a read id license or a standard state license. i do not know how much easier it is to get a standard license there but it is an option the state is providing

in oregon, where i am domiciled, they are offering the option to get a real id license after 7-6-2020 but in their dmv FAQ they clearly state it is not required
from the oregon dmv faq.....

What don’t I need a Real ID card for?

A Real ID card is optional and is not required for any of the following:

Driving.
Voting or registering to vote.
Proving age to enter an age-restricted venue or to purchase alcoholic beverages, tobacco, firearms, or other age-restricted activities.
Applying for or receiving federal or state benefits.
Entering a federal facility for accessing health or life preserving services (including hospitals and health clinics).
Participating in law enforcement proceedings or investigations.
Participating in constitutionally protected activities (including a defendant’s or spectator’s access to court proceedings, and access by jurors or potential jurors).

then they reiterate the real id license is an option

so you might check with the state you are in and look it up. they may offer a standard license with out the hassel of the real id

if you state does not care and is only offering the real id, maybe it is time to leave and come find a state to support that cares about you and your choices