Update, Retirement, etc

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can have your address and then a mailing address. They are the same for most "normal" folks. Reside in whatever state you want and put your folks down as the mailing address.

Holy smokes people, just a little update... House went on the market and is officially under contract now. Closing date of 16 Sep 19. I'm in SHOCK! I fully expected (and dreaded) that it would be on the market for a year... Now fingers crossed everything goes well. Inspection will happen within the next 10 days. 

Geez, now if I could figure out what rig I want! I know it will be a used Class C...but that is as far as I've gotten...

That is very exciting news. So glad you found a buyer very quickly.

It's always good news when a house sells quick, congrats, and good luck on your transition. I really like the idea of a small 21-24' Class C RV with a small scooter, or enduro motorcycle (even an electric bike) on the bumper for getting around, no reason to have a "Toad".

ckelly78z said:
I really like the idea of a small 21-24' Class C RV with a small scooter, or enduro motorcycle (even an electric bike) on the bumper for getting around, no reason to have a "Toad".

Ideally, I'd like something no longer than 24' but I sure like the longer length RVs for space. I was hoping to have separate and dedicated areas for the main bed , a table, and lounge (chair or short couch), but you just can't find that in the 24 footers. Since my mom is very interested in traveling with me, I'd also love to find a great twin bed configuration.

I definitely like the idea of an e-bike.

**** I have everything in my RV except enough space to put in a hospital type bed. I’m fine with the current bed but John needs n adjustable bed and is currently in a recliner.

I love my rv and it’s 23 footer but we are going to have to go bigger. All the hard stuff is done. We have 600 watts of solar.

I need to find a larger RV but I want one at least as good as what I already have. That seems to be almost impossible at any price.

I have a 36” counter space that I can’t find even in the million dollar rigs. I like to cook and what they are doing to RVs now is to cover the sink and stove so it looks like useable space but it’s not as I need both spaces open when I’m cooking.

I am going to sell my rig but have to find a replacement first.

I have a typical 29' Class C (96" wide) but I wish it was about 5' shorter.  It's just a tad too long to fit in typical parking spaces and it's a pain to drive in congested cities.  I do like the interior space...and it's big enough to fit a bunch of family on trips.  However, when its just wife and I rolling around, the length frequently dictates the activities we can do and locations we can visit.  I often find myself looking at ariel maps to pre-plan route and parking.  For example, if we want to visit to a distillery or brewery I have to call ahead and look at ariel maps to see if there is room to park.  We didn't visit Nashville TN because there was no good places to park.  My eventual plan is to downsize and go shorter and narrower sometime in the future; I'm thinking maybe 22'-24' long x 84"wide.

Doubleone said:
I have a typical 29' Class C (96" wide) but I wish it was about 5' shorter. 

This really confirms why I need to keep the length down...and I didn't even consider the width! (until now)

We have a 22" class c and have been getting prepared to fulltime in our new to us home with our cat.  As the motorhome is quite small(but it does have a dedicated bed-love having that, but we gave up a couch in it's place), we will be using a screened romper room for extra living/work space.  I'm not sure how well that will work in the desert, with the wind, sand, etc, but we've been dealing with the cold winds blowing and snow drifts for far too long up here, so we said will get creative to make it work.  We have been getting our cat prepared as well, which he has so far enjoyed.

Update: House has been inspected and appraised, and it looks like we are good to go for the 16 Sep closing date. Now to finish packing and getting rid of stuff.

KK, depending on what all you have, you might think about putting some of your stuff in storage, at least temporarily. It will ease the work required over the next month, and also give you a place to keep stuff you might not want to get rid immediately, but don't want to haul along on the road. Especially old paperwork, books, mementos, etc. A small 5'x5' unit can actually hold quite a lot of stuff, not being furniture.

EDIT: one more thing, have fun...

https://photographyconcentrate.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/DSF3147-3-1024x683.jpg

Qxxx said:
KK, depending on what all you have, you might think about putting some of your stuff in storage, at least temporarily. 

Qxxx, luckily my dad has given me a corner of his shop to store my things. I offered to get a storage unit, but he said not to bother. Quite a bit of the stuff I'm moving belongs to my daughter and grandson. *Most* of the things I'm keeping I plan to use in my RV. (Depending on space and how practical it will be of course.) I've gotten rid of all of my furniture except for a few things I'm bringing for my parents to use (freezer, metal shelving/tables). None of my furniture was new so it was so easy to get rid of (read: practically gave it away). 

Thanks!  :)

HOORAY! happy you are moving along so well! selling the home is big news!

One big step for man, one small step for mankind. Sorry I couldn't make this more gender-feminine, but I wanted it to sound like Neil Armstrong stepping on the moon.  ;) World changing.