Unlimited data???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<br />And VERIZON just got slapped by the FCC for making tethering illegal without their specific app on their phones.&nbsp; If you buy a metered plan (like 10G) you can do whatever you want with that plan data.<br /><br />Yes it was only VERIZON that got slapped with a fine, but all the other providers now have warning to the lawyers and precedence, and its going to stick.<br /><br />So take your chances.<br /><br /><br />

You're right. Most of them prohibit tethering or will throttle your speed down once you reach their bogus "unlimited data" range and I know thats the case with StraightTalk too.<br /><br />So I was wondering if anyone was using the free FoxFi app with their Android device to make it a hotspot? And if so, did you turn on the proxy feature in order to hide that you're using the phone as a hotspot? And if so, has your cellphone provider done anything about it?<br /><br /><br /><br />
Nemo said:
ya might wanna read the fine print on that, unless they have changed it, the straight talk plan specifically prohibits tethering.<br /><br /><br />
4x4tour said:
I just got the Samgung Galaxy Proclaim with the Walmart $45.00 month unlimited everything plan (and attached my atm card for monthly payments). &nbsp;To my delight, it tethers to my laptop with no issues.&nbsp;<br /><br /><br />

Cant speak for others usage, but I'm a gamer.. no and then I download a movie, but it's mostly game patches and software updates.. running about 18 gig a month average.<br /><br /><br />
offroad said:
One point not discussed is why we need or do not need high capacity internet data.&nbsp; Why do we need more that 1 Gigabyte (1G) per month?&nbsp; Why do people need 10 Gigabyte (10G) per month?<br /><br />Video mostly.&nbsp; <br /><br />1)&nbsp; Normal internet reading of web pages maybe one hour a day, and you can use only 1G in a whole month.<br /><br />2)&nbsp; Stream a movie, and you use 0.5G in just one sitting in your two hour movie from netflix (thats 500K bytes). &nbsp;<br /><br />You might be more cost effective to get a mailed DVD sent to you.<br /><br /><br />

I have been reading that NET10 is a really good service with the unlimited plan. Anyone use them? I know NET10, Tracfone an someone else are sister companies. I was looking for a pay as you go plan.

Trekking said:
I have been reading that NET10 is a really good service with the unlimited plan. Anyone use them? I know NET10, Tracfone an someone else are sister companies. I was looking for a pay as you go plan.

I've been using the Tracfone plan for years. I don't talk alot on the cell phone so Tracfone works well for me. It's not for everybody but if you don't talk too much it might be an affordable plan for you. As you mentioned, Tracfone & Net10 are owned by the same corporation. But you have to be able to get on & get off and avoid long conversations. If you plan on lengthy conversations you may want to consider another cell phone carrier with unlimited voice, text and data plans. Tracfone/Net10's prepaid plans are NOT for everybody.

If you're interested in Tracfone/Net10 you may want to join a forum that discusses these two prepaid cell phone service providers. I'm the owner/moderator of a Tracfone/Net10 Yahoogroup with around 2,500 members. If you're interested in asking questions about these two carriers PM me and I'll tell you where to find my yahoogroup to join or even just read the messages there if you'd prefer.

I'm not here to promote my yahoogroup as that's an "off topic" subject. I'm more interested in "van dwelling" issues while I'm reading/posting messages here.

If you interested please send me a PM and I'll direct you to my Tracfone/Net10 yahoogroup to ask any questions about Tracfone/Net10.

I hope that this helps you out!

I have a Straight Talk unlimited plan from Wal-Mart ( talk,text,media) and it's only $45 a month + tax ($49.50). I get signals where other people don't get anything at all. I think if you have a phone with Android you can use your phone as a hotspot.

my current, untested (in the wild), plan is to keep my no-contract t-mobile $30/mo cell, and use free wifi spots for laptop and tablet.

Cell is unlimited data (first 5GB is 4g) for email and light internet, and anything more I can find a bookstore, fast food, or coffe shop to use.

I can add tethering to the plan for $15, but right now the wifi is working out. $45 for unlimited tethering is still nice though if I need it, and I can enable\disable that on a per month basis.

joey said:
I have a Straight Talk unlimited plan from Wal-Mart ( talk,text,media) and it's only $45 a month + tax ($49.50). I get signals where other people don't get anything at all. I think if you have a phone with Android you can use your phone as a hotspot.
<br />Are you saying it has better coverage than Verizon? <br />-Bruce

Please please be aware that there are four CELLPHONE TOWER companIes in the USA. SPRINT, VERIZON, TMOBILE, AT&amp;T. All the other companies are resellers of these companies towers bandwidth. In fact they each sell each others coverage, if they sell you a phone that can receive the others signals. Base this thought on CELL PHONE MAPS that show different coverage areas. &nbsp;Whatever company you start working with should be an echo of existing map of one of the big four.&nbsp;

Nemo said:
Cant speak for others usage, but I'm a gamer.. no and then I download a movie, but it's mostly game patches and software updates.. running about 18 gig a month average.
<br /><br />Droid + verizon plan with unlimited data + an App called <span style="color: #993366; font-size: medium;">'Easy Tether' </span>(one time payment of $10 for the app) and a cable from the droid to the laptop/computer = Unlimited Warcraft / Ethernet hours.<br /><br /><span style="color: #ff9900;">[Insert cocky thumbs up here]</span><br /><br />I hope this helps someone. ^^<br /><br />Side note; you can also use the droid as a mini hand warmer because it gets so hot while running wow. Lol

Trekking said:
<br /><br />The unlimited plan is nice.&nbsp; More than I use though.&nbsp; I never tried tethering it.&nbsp;&nbsp; I'm not certain but i don't think you can tether a net10, at least not within the rules.<br /><br />Net10 sucks if you dont use the unlimited, cause minutes dont roll over. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I use a tracfone now, just because i rarely use all of my minutes and its cheaper than an unlimited phone i dont really need.&nbsp;

Ballenxj said:
joey said:
<br />Are you saying it has better coverage than Verizon? <br />-Bruce
&nbsp;&nbsp; Straight Talk runs on the Verizon towers.

Depending on which StraightTalk phone you buy, StraightTalk uses Verizon, ATT, and T-Mobile towers. There is some code on the side of the StraightTalk phone boxes that tells you which carrier that particular phone uses. I use Solavei now which is 4G unlimited everything for $50 per month and uses T-Mobile towers and works with both ATT and T-Mobile towers.