"universal" third party van windows

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanTalk00

Reaction score
So I was riding in the back of my sister's Sprinter the other day, with no windows open.  Even with the front windows open, I was surprised how dead the air was back there.

In my impending Promaster City build, I decided to look for an operable window to install in the back door.  The closest I could find were "universal" windows.  Does anyone have experience installing them?

I understand the challenge is with straight windows installed on curved surfaces. Do the universal windows help with that?  

Also, do you have opinions on screened sliding windows versus the push-out kind with the little levers?  Seems like screening the push-out kind would be a little clumsy.

Thanks,

Jim

point 1, if you are installing windows on a curved surface the windows must be curved or the will distort the sheet metal an/or leak. all the windows I have installed on vans have been curved to matched the contour of the van.

point 2, I would be extremely careful about installing a window that opens on the rear doors. you don't want to suck exhaust in.

point 3, all the hinged windows I have seen are plastic. do you want plastic windows?

highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
point 1,  if you are installing windows on a curved surface the windows must be curved or the will distort the sheet metal an/or leak.  all the windows I have installed on vans have been curved to matched the contour of the van.

Good points, all.  Thanks!

rm.w/aview said:
There's a thread on RV surplus yards that may be helpful, and this website could be helpful as well https://www.rvwindows.com/products/ram-promaster-van-conversion-windows/ The sticky that highdesertranger provided in the RV sub forum, RV Salvage Yards, could be helpful as well.
Thanks.  I don't have the van yet, so this looks like something that should wait til then.  I like the idea of being able to see the window before I buy.   I'm now thinking about how I would measure the curvature.

the company you buy the window from measures the curvature. you buy windows for specific vans. in other words you don't buy a Ford window and install it on a Chevy. if you buy used the wrecking company tags the parts as to what they fit. highdesertranger

B and C said:
You would be better served with a roof vent.

Good point. Do you happen to know if you can drive with a max-air vent partly open?  I'm also thinking of some kind of floor vent just behind the console if I can make it work.  Not sure what to get though.

VanTalk00 said:
Do you happen to know if you can drive with a max-air vent partly open? 

A vent cover like the Camco https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Cleaning-Aerodynamic-Included-40431/dp/B000BUQODG or the Maxxair https://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-503-...41519285&sr=8-5&keywords=max+air+2+vent+cover will protect the slightly opened vent linkage & plastic from damage during travel and especially during cross winds. The vent covers also allow a more opened vent for increased airflow. Having used them both I'll point out that the Maxxair retains its white color while the Camco became an off white within months.

No need for the floor vent. All vehicles manufactured in the last few decades have air exchange built in from the front. If you need more airflow than this little bit of air exchange, roll down a front window or turn the ventilation controls on the dash to vent. Use visor vent shades on the front windows so they can be left partially open even in the rain. The roof vent in the back will pull the air from the front for air exchange even underway if you have the rain cover for the roof vent. Be sure to mount the roof vent with the opening to the rear. Trying to make it an air scoop will be an epic failure.

My older pleasure way class B has the push out windows hinged on top. 

Advantage is they can stay open in the rain. 

The bug screen has a vinyl access "door"  two zippers (one on left side, one on right) unzip to open or close window.

Also has a back door window which will suck in exhaust with the engine running. When parked with the engine off it provides great ventilation.

My maxxair fan is always open to some degree 24/7 driving and parked. the unit is designed to to keep rain out.

that's right factory tilt out windows are glass. I was referring to aftermarket tilt outs. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the company you buy the window from measures the curvature.  you buy windows for specific vans.  in other words you don't buy a Ford window and install it on a Chevy.  if you buy used the wrecking company tags the parts as to what they fit.  highdesertranger

That was kind of my question because I couldn't find any screen-type operable windows for a Promaster City, but a few places have these "universal" windows.  I was wondering how "universal" they are or what that means.  Anyway, I'll talk to them and see what might be compatible.

dextours said:
Also has a back door window which will suck in exhaust with the engine running. When parked with the engine off it provides great ventilation.

Does it suck in exhaust even when you're driving?

"Does it suck in exhaust even when you're driving?"

yes, that's why I said you have to be very careful.

highdesertranger

As your van cuts (punches) its way through the wind there is an eddy effect occurring as the winds slides past the roof & sides only to curl back towards the van at the rear. Class A Diesel Pushers (motor at the rear) that have a rear facing radiator will have it clog up far easier & quicker than their side mounted counterparts due to this effect, and this actually mimics the open rear window on a van as fumes, debris, water, et cetera enter past the grill, or rear window. The side mounted radiators do not clog up as readily due to the wind sliding down the side, just as a side mounted window near the rear will act in removing air. While driving, the air moving past the exterior of the window that's on the side near the rear can suck the air out if a window is opened at the front.

Latest posts