Unique Murphy Bed Installation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cargovanconversion

Reaction score

[size=small]Much work has gone into it and more is waiting to be added. So far the lower cabinets and the bed are finished and the upper cabinets will follow soon. A modern oil painting with bright primary colors is in the works, and will contrast the glossy white bed surface during daytime hours, when it is in upright position. At a later time, a foldable desk will be added to the bed, with it's own picture, to add sophistication to the interior design of the van.[/size]
[size=small]The bed size is 40” x 71”, which almost accommodates a regular twin mattress. A 6 inch memory foam mattress can be shortened a few inches, to make a perfect fit.[/size]
[size=small]Van Williams[/size]

01-cargovanconvrsion-murphy-bed.jpg

05-cargovanconvrsion-murphy-bed-1.jpg

04-cargovanconvrsion-murphy-bed.jpg

03-cargovanconvrsion-murphy-bed.jpg

02-cargovanconvrsion-murphy-bed.jpg

wow, great video.  will I build a murphy bed? probably not. but a murphy table or cooktop? high possibly, and all this info transfers :shy: 

also love that you show using the covered buckets to move/place something big on your own. maybe a duh moment to some, but lightbulb moment for me.
thanks!

great video..... learned a lot..... I did have a murphy work table in my old house, swung down over the couch, and when pushed up, it had pictures on the back side.... nobody knew unless you told them....

hopefully will be doing something modified for cabinets with work table in my future toy hauler

jT

I have thought about a Murphy bed if I ever do a cargo trailer conversion. What I would do is put a fold-down table on the underside to use when the bed is stowed. Double duty and saves a huge amount of floor space.

tav-2020 said:
wow, great video.  will I build a murphy bed? probably not. but a murphy table or cooktop? high possibly, and all this info transfers :shy: 

also love that you show using the covered buckets to move/place something big on your own. maybe a duh moment to some, but lightbulb moment for me.
thanks!
I've been doing weekly videos for some time now; lots of good stuff in there. I'll soon be implementing my Shower-in-a-Drawer into my kitchen :)
The Bed is far from ready; sure, the upper cabinets, but there will be a small oil painting (i.e. Mondriaan) in the dark square of the bed and a desk placed over that picture, with it's own picture (i.e. a MC Escher) underneath. When the bed is folded up, the desk can be folded down.
Never knew that a couple of buckets, can make someone smile ::)o for it!
Van Williams

WanderingBiker said:
great video..... learned a lot..... I did have a murphy work table in my old house, swung down over the couch, and when pushed up, it had pictures on the back side.... nobody knew unless you told them....

hopefully will be doing something modified for cabinets with work table in my future toy hauler

jT

The bed is still a long-term project in progress. Will add a small oil painting first, with some bright colors to contrast the white interior and later I will add a fold-down desk with its own picture. Good luck with your project!
Van Williams

QinReno said:
I have thought about a Murphy bed if I ever do a cargo trailer conversion. What I would do is put a fold-down table on the underside to use when the bed is stowed. Double duty and saves a huge amount of floor space.

That's exactly what I'll be doing. Including two pictures. Was quite difficult to design as there were many restrictions on height and location in my project.
Van Williams

cargovanconversion said:
That's exactly what I'll be doing. Including two pictures. Was quite difficult to design as there were many restrictions on height and location in my project.
I have a standard size GMC Savana van with twin size 38" mattress, and initially flipped it on its side above the wheel well. Even so it wouldn't go quite vertical and impacted head room. Now the mattress is across the back, and much better for a regular height van.

With a high-top van you can do it, just have to figure it all out, :). Eg, the table could have 2 separate halves, so it would be easier to get into the opposite storage lockers from the side of the deployed table half. Or else have the table detachable, but that's another problem in itself.

I'm so happy to have discovered your videos.  You are a craftsman and a gentleman!  It brings back memories of watching my world-class artist/sculptor/designer husband of almost 50 years, as he created wonders..

cargovanconversion said:
Might be too late for this, but one other suggestion. Make the area around the mattress, or else the backside of the MB deep enough, that you don't have to remove the covers and blankets when you stow it. Otherwise: (1) it's a PITN to move the covers back and forth 2X a day, and (2) you need a rather largish area to store the covers during the day. So if the mattress is 8" thick, I'd have the MB depth 12-14". 

In my original setup, I didn't mind flipping the mattress up, but messing with the covers was a big PITN. With my mattress across the back now, I can revert to my old habits, and not even have to make the bed in the morning. Also, the linen gets a better airing every day.

maybe have 4 straps that connect across the side rails... to hold the sheets and blankets in place... wouldnt have to be thick... just enough to keep everything in place

jT

I use regular sheets for homeland comfort but then have 2 sleeping bags to pull over as needed (it was in the low 20s in AZ and NM this past March when I was there), so the thickness does add up. Would be nice for everything to go into the same hole altogether then no messing around. Straps/bungies would be useful to hold everything.

Very nice woodwork...and the bronze bushing pivots are a nice touch.

But jeez...go easy on the Loctite...the first squoosh was obviously an oops, but the second bolt you really laid it on. You only need a drop on one spot...as the bolt turns into the nut the blue goo spreads into the threads.

I also hope you have something heavy going in on the passenger side...water tank, bed and cabinets, I'm assuming batteries going near the fuse and cables in the under bed cabinets...all on the driver's side...you may end up with a bit of a list to port. :)

QinReno said:
I have a standard size GMC Savana van with twin size 38" mattress, and initially flipped it on its side above the wheel well. Even so it wouldn't go quite vertical and impacted head room. Now the mattress is across the back, and much better for a regular height van.

With a high-top van you can do it, just have to figure it all out, :). Eg, the table could have 2 separate halves, so it would be easier to get into the opposite storage lockers from the side of the deployed table half. Or else have the table detachable, but that's another problem in itself.
My previous van was a Dodge B-250 with the same issues as yours. Permanent, lengthwise bed. Completely different setup. Now I can stand up straight and have an actual living space.
I will add a foldup desk to the bed; no need to detach and still enough room to walk around.
Van Williams

max+sophia said:
I'm so happy to have discovered your videos.  You are a craftsman and a gentleman!  It brings back memories of watching my world-class artist/sculptor/designer husband of almost 50 years, as he created wonders..
 Thank you for all the nice words. Wish, I could be as good as your husband must have been. Wish you all the best!
Van Williams

QinReno said:
Might be too late for this, but one other suggestion. Make the area around the mattress, or else the backside of the MB deep enough, that you don't have to remove the covers and blankets when you stow it. Otherwise: (1) it's a PITN to move the covers back and forth 2X a day, and (2) you need a rather largish area to store the covers during the day. So if the mattress is 8" thick, I'd have the MB depth 12-14". 

In my original setup, I didn't mind flipping the mattress up, but messing with the covers was a big PITN. With my mattress across the back now, I can revert to my old habits, and not even have to make the bed in the morning. Also, the linen gets a better airing every day.

Good advice! I'll have reserved some space around the mattress to tuck and fold some linens or blankets and use a 6" memory foam mattress which should leave enough space between the bed and the all. BTW It would have been too late, if I didn't think of that :)
Van Williams

WanderingBiker said:
maybe have 4 straps that connect across the side rails... to hold the sheets and blankets in place... wouldnt have to be thick... just enough to keep everything in place

jT

Likely do something like that. Still have to find out in a real setting, if that's necessary, but would be simple to implement. Thanks!
Van Williams

johnny b said:
Very nice woodwork...and the bronze bushing pivots are a nice touch.

But jeez...go easy on the Loctite...the first squoosh was obviously an oops, but the second bolt you really laid it on. You only need a drop on one spot...as the bolt turns into the nut the blue goo spreads into the threads.

I also hope you have something heavy going in on the passenger side...water tank, bed and cabinets, I'm assuming batteries going near the fuse and cables in the under bed cabinets...all on the driver's side...you may end up with a bit of a list to port. :)

Yeah, I went a bit overboard there. I had the solar/electrical all planned under the bed in the lower cabinets, but decided to move that to the other side for the reasons you gave. Will add water heater, fridge, gray water tank, toilet, storage, etc. to the other side. Should level it out, but for the time being, I'll be driving on two wheels :)
Van Williams

cargovanconversion said:
Wish you all the best!  Van Williams

At your <a href="https://cargovanconversion.com/"><b>SITE</b></a> a CFL bulb is pictured.  That doesn't indicate you will be using them, does it?  Is there a link for your washroom plans?

OOps, I read further and answered my own questions.

max+sophia said:
At your <a href="https://cargovanconversion.com/"><b>SITE</b></a> a CFL bulb is pictured.  That doesn't indicate you will be using them, does it?  Is there a link for your washroom plans?

OOps, I read further and answered my own questions.

No CFL; that's so out-of-fashion :) Got some links to the Shower-in-a-Drawer:
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLyrIiniKvmg7ni4oeiaqefldQmtqCCQ7R

I am at the point of implementing the drawer into my litchen, so during the next couple of weeks you'll see the videos.
Van Williams