Ugh...dog booties

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FinallyFree

Reaction score
Having spent last winter in the deserts of sw Arizona and dealing with bruised paws for 3 months, I decided to give my little girl (and me) some relief this year. She just went for her first walk in her shinny new black rugged dog boots from Ultra Paws. This is certainly going to take some patience on my behalf, she is not a happy camper! 

I'll just look at it another new learning experience...hope she can too. ?

We had to buy them when we were at Ute Lake in N.M. We took a bunch of her favorite treats and took her outside and put them on. She runs like crazy when she has them on. Using a lot of treats ,I think it made her forget about them at first. now when she does need them somewhere it is just like the leash to her.

My dog hates them too, whenever he has them on he high steps everywhere.

My cats are getting used to the harnesses. Every day they're better.

Treats are a Good Thing with dogs. Pull out booties, offer a treat. Put one bootie on, offer treat. Repeat, repeat, repeat. In the beginning, do it every day until it's a habit. This is how I get my dogs used to nail trims.

"Do you want a nail trim, Sweetie?" "Yeah, Mom! Yeah!"

I am getting a yorkie pup in a couple of weeks.  Now I see what I have to look forward to... booties. lol

TrainChaser said:
My cats are getting used to the harnesses.  Every day they're better.  

Treats are a Good Thing with dogs.  Pull out booties, offer a treat.  Put one bootie on, offer treat.  Repeat, repeat, repeat.  In the beginning, do it every day until it's a habit.  This is how I get my dogs used to nail trims.

"Do you want a nail trim, Sweetie?"   "Yeah, Mom!  Yeah!"

It does take a lot of patience from we humans, to teach our pets about new stuff. But in a long run, it really does pay off too. They learn everything we do we do for them and for their comfort too, but most of all, so we can take better care of them.

This is how I teach my pets too. Now, to keep the cat from going in and out all the time, thinking I think she has peed, so she can get more treats. :)
Sharon

Your cat has been in communication with my dog, he does it, too
I recently quit buying treats, but he hasn't figured it out yet lol

ArtW said:
Your cat has been in communication with my dog, he does it, too
I recently quit buying treats, but he hasn't figured it out yet lol

:D  
How funny ArtW.  Our dog is so into pleasing us, she is a rescue and had a hard life before we got her,  I don't have to bribe her.  She does it for free, just to please us.  Now, if the cat would adopt the same mind set.... probably not going to happen.  LOL
Sharon

The big problem is that it really helps to be smarter than the animals. This is not always easy. Until last year, I had a Belgian Tervuren (less than half a notch below a Border Collie in intelligence), and keeping up with her was tricky for 15 years.

Nails- yeah.. this is my boy that is highly reactive (read "levitates away from anything he perceives as a threat!) when i do nails.

jNails.jpg

You may notice the size of the file- I do not cut their nails, I just use a bastard file to take the length off. Sometimes a path of lease resistance, that gets the job done, can work wonders.

:)

As for the booties.. Watch for rub-spots, check front and back feet (their feet are different sizes/shapes and often booties are a one-size set) make sure their nails are quite short (causes discomfort and other problems), and keep the insides of the booties clean (paw sweat is ucky)

Attachments

• jNails.jpg
    jNails.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 3
Having spent last winter in the deserts of sw Arizona and dealing with bruised paws for 3 months, I decided to give my little girl (and me) some relief this year. She just went for her first walk in her shinny new black rugged dog boots from Ultra Paws. This is certainly going to take some patience on my behalf, she is not a happy camper! 

I'll just look at it another new learning experience...hope she can too. ?
[/quote]

---------

Our dog just sits down and chews them off. Silly mutt would rather get burrs in his feet.

Latest posts