tx2sturgis awning very cool setup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wagoneer

Reaction score
Hey buddy you back in Texas? hey just wanted to ask you about your neat and east portable awning setup. besides the painters poles maker of the material would help I remember most of you setup and would like to duplicate the setup for myself, thanks for doing the brainwork by the way and it was nice being your camping friend. You turned your PM off so I am reaching out being hopeful you can PM me.

Hey dude!

I'm still in Quartzite...

The shade sail for mine is a 10 x 6.5 and some miscellaneous hardware and carabiners. 

Your choice of pound-in stakes or screw-in anchors, and/or heavy weights, to hold the anchor ropes.

I ordered mine off of ebay last year, Amazon screwed up the order (again).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_...id=322331604040&&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2658

I think mine was around $38 best I remember...scroll down the list to find one you like.

Here is a pic from the awning set up in Wyoming last August. Its a bit loose in this picture but it can be pulled taught. Fiberglass painters poles that I use now, are, in my opinion, much better than the metal poles from camping supply stores. YMMV.

2017-awning.jpg

Here it is set up at RTR, pardon the mess! But now you can see the painters poles in use:

2018-awning.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-awning.jpg
    2017-awning.jpg
    396.1 KB
  • 2018-awning.jpg
    2018-awning.jpg
    948.1 KB
Are those the kind of poles that hold plastic up to the ceiling for painting, drywall etc? I haven't used them for an awning, but I can testify they are rugged and that is a novel implementation for them.

These are the poles that have a threaded end that you would screw on a paint roller for painting a ceiling or high wall. Mine have multiple holes and a button release but there are other types also. They can also be used for solar panel cleaning so they have multiple uses.

tx2sturgis said:
These are the poles that have a threaded end that you would screw on a paint roller for painting a ceiling or high wall. Mine have multiple holes and a button release but there are other types also. They can also be used for solar panel cleaning so they have multiple uses.

You COULD use them to hold your light from the roof rack at nite...............................

I found a really nifty tarp (of the durable/weatherproof type) with pole pockets in the corners, and lots of loops for hooking to things.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FKNEGPQ
and after a moment with pencil and paper.. chose
these
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UKNTT7M
and they fit snugly X wise between the corners to add lift/rigidity.. and have other uses..

May steal the painting pole idea.. when my old ring-lift poles die

That looks like a good one too.

The cheap plastic box-store tarps are noisy in the wind, and the grommets seem to pull loose, and of course the UV from the sun eventually degrades the plastic.

None of these will last forever but the shade sails seem to be hold up pretty well.

Full disclosure:

Somewhere in LTVA North I lost one of my painter's poles...and had to find a replacement locally, and it is not the same kind or quality, but it will do for now.

Latest posts