Two stepvan alternatives (can't decide)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PlethoraOfGuns said:
There are plenty of step vans out there. Be patient and find the one that works best for you. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and I would never want to tackle converting a roof from fiberglass to aluminum. Get an aluminum roof that was done right from beginning, at the factory, that won't leak and save you all the aggravation. Used that saved aggravation for vehicle breakdowns later on.

The Grumman aluminum roof is one piece aluminum front to rear and is sandwiched between other roof parts.  I don't know the type of adhesive/sealant used, but mine is still soft and pliable even after 31 years.   No leaks anywhere in 31 years!

Glad we agree that a fiberglass roof is a deal breaker, and waiting for the vehicle you really want is wise.  

A wise man learns from the mistakes of others; The fool makes his own mistakes and often times learns nothing.

We don't generally marry the first person who has some of the traits we are looking for in a spouse, so don't settle for less in a step van.

Interesting My Grumman Olson step van roof is made with two pieces, sealed and pop riveted, from factory, to the cross beams inside and out, with insulation in between. it is an 86 and there are no leaks, but there was one along the gutter, I think from stress from my awning, at one point which I repaired. It is possible to cover an old fiberglass roof using flat stock aluminium about 24 inches wide, more joints, again with a break you could even interlock them. There are shops all over the place with aluminium breaks, that you could pay to bend to your specification, not that expensive, anyone who does flashing, roofers, window installers, have light weight breaks often attached to their trucks, they are even rentable not hard to operate successfully. If you can build the inside of a van you can cover a roof. Another option to cover over fiberglass is membrane, I redid a small travel trailer and that just glues on over existing roof, seems to work , that has been on for at least five years. I am puzzled why you are afraid of fiberglass roofs, I have a section on my garage to let light in that is at least as old as the garage which was built in the sixties, still keeping water out.

Ah yes, covering the fiberglass with some sort of liquid sealant would work. But still not as good as aluminum sheet. Aluminum is much durable, easy to mount things too, and no problem walking up there or even setting up some camp chairs or roller blades. Ok, maybe roller blades is a stretch, but you catch my drift.

Yes you can do all that on a factory Aluminium Grumman roof but you still have to be careful, at least on mine I was amazed at how thin the aluminium was when I cut through for my chimney. They used a very light gauge for my roof much lighter then I thought it would be. I agree an aluminium roof is a better option but fiberglass shouldn’t be a deal breaker or scare anyone off an otherwise good truck, you may not be able to put lawn chairs on the roof without a roof rack but a lot of box trucks transport trailers are built with fiberglass roofs and they last for decades.

flying kurbmaster said:
 ...but a lot of box trucks transport trailers are built with fiberglass roofs and they last for decades.

That's the problem. They only last a few decades. Then the person buying a 20 or 30 year old stepvan with a deteriorating fiberglass roof will be stuck with repairs, sooner or later. Repairs will likely cost hundreds of dollars in sheet aluminum, plus whatever labor and tool rental is needed. Seriously, might as well move along and pick another stepvan. Good ones are out there.

And yes they are used for class 8 van trailers (in transportation lingo, 'van' refers to a type of trailer) but they do fail, sooner or later. I was pulling one with a damaged fiberglass roof when it failed. The entire trailer buckled and broke in half and I guided the broken mess to the side of the road. The dragging landing gear left scape marks for about 750 feet down the highway and onto the shoulder. Police came to look over the incident and even a news crew showed up. Not fun.

The roof is part of the structural integrity on a box van or trailer. You dont want one that is falling apart. Trust me.

When I had my Step Van painted the shop I brought it to specialized in large trucks from med duty up to class 8 trucks they had the aluminum in stock to do roofs with had rolls of it in stock. I asked the owner and he said he does them all the time. Also if you go to Utilimaster web site they actually have the step by step process listed to help with the job.
https://www.utilimaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/03103436-T10001-1.pdf

highdesertranger said:
 It's a box truck.    Highdesertranger
First picture. Strangest looking box truck I have seen.
Box trucks usually have a totally seperate cab to the pan/box. If something like that was sold down here, we would regard it a a stepthrough van.