Truely smart lead acid battery charger.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

666JTK666

Reaction score
It seems to me that a real (not marketing scumbag egg timer) Smart battery charger could fairly easyly be made from an rpi for the brains, a shunt for measuring current, and what ever the device is measures voltage. if even fancyer is wanted thirmisters can be used to sence ambient temp , battery temp ect..
Tricky part would be getting the rpi to controll the voltage from a powersupply like the meanwells. I think they make digital variable pot's.

It seems like a simple loop checking the current flow would do the trick. wate till the acceptance is somthing like .5 amps then back the voltage down from (for lack of a better term) Bulk charge voltage.

With an rpi as the brains The charging agolrithim could be set to properly charge any battery chemestry.
such a small program could be written in python as the loop does not have to run all that fast.

The projects I've come across so far are all Arduino based.

Thanks Weight, I spent 15 minutes reading and scrolling down, down and still didn't get to the end of the very informative article. The main points I got for van use is that:
First, there's voltage drop in the wiring to be considered, I had forgotten that my box store Schumaker 10/2 has maybe 14 guage wires that are 6-8 feet long so whatever low charging voltage the unit delivers is now even lower...  

I also noted the points the author made about dip switches being worthless, (in choosing battery types), as one needs to know the voltage set points of the charger and what your batteries really need.

Also the point about the "egg timer" algorithms!  I'm thinking that my Schumaker has something like that built in, that's the cheap method and the whole charger was, like $32...

Lastly was temperature compensation, of which no low to mid range auto charger likely has. 

Sigh, it seems I'm only fooling myself when I use an inexpensive charger... :(

I still think a DC power supply feeding a quality solar controller would come pretty close if they could be made to play nicely together long term.

I once really wanted a good automatic charging source.   Now when i have 120Vac available I simply choose one of two base voltages.  14.7 or 13.6v, andchoose when to drop to 13.6v according to how many amps the battery is accepting at 14.7v. It is less effort that dip switches and buttons and attempts to guess how to influence the charging source to do its job.  If I am not going to be around to lower voltage, then rapid recharging is not a concern and I will choose a lower voltage.

Garage chargers are designed for getting a starting battery charged enough to start a car.  Those of us deep cycling batteries every day, need to hold absorption voltage for longer, perhaps much longer.

Seeing how easy I find manual adjustable voltage power supply  to be in my usage, I've given up on any desire for automatic, though my solar controller is.

A note on schumacher chargers, the egg timer algorothms are just a general guess as to how long is required, but Schumachers are known to overvoltage a battery.  While they should get to the mid to high 14v range and level off while amps taper, they often will blow right past 15 volts, perhaps 16v at max amperage output, and this is abusive to a battery, but it will certainly charge it, and in some cases of a weak sulfated on its last legs starting battery, actually be good for it for the short lifespan it has left.

I recommend 20 amps minimum per 100Ah of battery capacity, minimum, on a plug in charging source, in Van dwelling.  If one plugs in for days at a time when they plug in, then lesser amperage to capacity ratio is acceptable. 
 But the 'trickle charge everything every time' mantra touted by grandpa as always being best should be thrown out and disregarded with the old wives tales. Not all batteries should always be hit with high charging amperages, especially when time to recharge is not a factor.  manufacturer 'ideal' recharge rates are usually 10 to 13%, bit Odyssye claims 40% minimum qhen deeply cycled.  All depleted batteries can accept high amperages, whether this is abusive or not to them depends on many factors, and when compared to low and slow recharging or starting next discharge cycle at a lower state of charge due to too little current applied when there was time to apply it.

I sometimes parallel my 25 amp schumacher with my 40 amp meanwell power supply when i want to feed my battery more than 40 amps.  They work nicely together for about 20 minutes on my well depleted 90Ah Northstar AGM, but I usually have to bump up (unloaded) Meanwell voltage to over 15 to get full output from it and often the schumacher starts tapering amps before absorption voltage is reached. 

The schumacher is always a mystery as to how it will behave, other than than it is predictably unpredictable, and cannot be trusted.  but I still use it on my old battery in my workshop as my Meanwell resides on my vans electrical cabinet door 99.9% of the time, leaving only when 'Automatic' charging sources cannot do their job.

Looking at the MeanWell powersupply's this one looks pretty Ideal for making it a slave to somthing like an rpi
Modle RSP-1000-15 http://www.meanwellusa.com/productPdf.aspx?i=359

This ps has remote on/off and it has headers for hooking up a pot directly with out having to remove and whire up an external pot.

I have so far found these
https://shop.controleverything.com/collections/potentiometers

So far it looks doable.
Going to check how much that ps costs next.
http://www.meanwellusa.com/productPdf.aspx?i=359

The reason I am looking to automate battery charging is that the only time I have access to shore power is the same time I have to sleep I need to let what ever battery charging method I end up with run while I sleep so totally unatended charging.
And I am 2 damn poor to replace battery's every year or less with a crappy charging regimine.
some day I will have saved up enough for a generator so I can charge when ever I want.

Off grid need solar for the long tail to 100%, genny helps for the first hour or two only, if your panels aren't enough. Same with a HO Alt setup, unless you drive 10+ hours a day.

DYI is great, but if you have the bucks Sterling or ProMariner best value, also look out for ​Victron, Magnum, MasterVolt, sometimes good bargains on eBay, picked up a nice 60A unit for $250 in perfect shape.

IMO for ampage get 25-30% of your bank AH, even more if high acceptance AGM.

If you go the power supply route make sure well protected against overcurrent, or rated higher than the bank will ever demand.

Some RV "converters" may be good enough.

Thanks SW for the Schumaker warning about over-volting.  I did put my HF ammeter on it the last time I was charging a different starting battery (not mine) and it kept bouncing around from 13.6 to 14.4, then got as high as 14.8, then dropped back down to 13.4 or 13.6.  This was all within a half hour.  

Why would it jump like that (other than being a POS)?
Is there some "bump" programmed into it to "stir" the electrolyte?  This was on the first 30 min charge of a moderately depleted starting battery... I know that it may just be the poor quality...

John61C said:
DYI is great, but if you have the bucks Sterling or ProMariner best value, also look out for Victron, Magnum, MasterVolt, sometimes good bargains on eBay, picked up a nice 60A unit for $250 in perfect shape.

Some RV "converters" may be good enough.

Do any of the products you suggest measure voltage and current and change it's behaviour based on what it measures? I havent found anything so far that is not a super expencive battery killing machine.

The first two you can program the setpoints, algorithm yourself.

All are top-notch, but of course with lead you need to keep the charge going until Absorb amps have dropped down to 2-3% of C.

Sounds to me you're overthinking, a good quality bank will go for 8-10 years long as you treat it right. Means back to 100% true full ASAP most cycles, never draw down past 40%, follow mfg specs for volts & amps.

Just be ready to pay hundreds if you've a big bank, we're not talking big box garage chargers.

John61CT said:
Sounds to me you're overthinking, a good quality bank will go for 8-10 years long as you treat it right. Means back to 100% true full ASAP most cycles, never draw down past 40%, follow mfg specs for volts & amps.

Could be, I am just so scared right now, I have zero room for error/wasted money.

aida fruit has these4 chanell 16bit analog to digital board.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1085

With the ability to read both voltage and current and the ablity to controll a digital pot all on the 12c buss it looks like I can controll a meanwell ps to automaticly charge a battery to a full state.
biggest issue for me is to hook up a monitor to it I dont have a spare.
mebby I can find somthing cheap on craigslist anything with an hdmi port would do.