True Grit - for noobees and wannabees

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QinReno

Reaction score
A lot of newcomers express ambivalent feelings about ... taking that final step into the ... Unknown. 

As a noobee myself, I've been following RV-Carolyn's exploits for the past year. This woman is tough. Currently in Alaska looking for grizzly bears and moose. Walking barefoot across ice-cold rivers and drinking water out of same. I also discovered that she hiked the John Muir Trail all alone at age 47. This woman is tough, and also very entertaining. And has advice for solo women. 
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfqr5I-0RKK8Ha1PeKi0_ig/videos
http://aloneonthejmt.com/

Someone always makes that same comment about solo travelers. Obviously, there are 2 types of people in the world - those who know how to amuse themselves, and the other type.

I spent about 18 months total traveling alone in europe, and people I ran into always asked me, how can you do it alone. But everyday in europe was full of new adventures, and traveling with someone else would have been a daily negotiation.

QinReno said:
Someone always makes that same comment about solo travelers.

I've done lots of solo wilderness travel. Only once did I feel the need to take video of everything, and that wasn't even planned. Usually I'm lost in thought and/or enjoying the moment.  

For every minute of video, how many were spent setting up, shooting raw, editing, and interacting with viewers?  Where is the time to enjoy yourself?

And, as I think about it more, I'd say the same thing for couples. You can certainly still be lonely while with someone else.

WanderingCanuck said:
For every minute of video, how many were spent setting up, shooting raw, editing, and interacting with viewers?  Where is the time to enjoy yourself?
Well, video production is a problem, and Bob Wells talks about it all the time. So now he has an assistant to help. Most of the people with "successful" youtube channels do seem to spend an ... inordinate ... amount of time doing their video editing, which is obviously not what you and I want to do. I don't even take a camera. I just want peace and quiet.

But video editing is not the issue in this thread. RV-Carolyn has over 13,000,000 views which means her channel is highly successful, and she does seem to be enjoying herself, despite whatever you might think. I greatly enjoy her travelogue. 

However you cut it, the woman has guts.

WanderingCanuck said:
And, as I think about it more, I'd say the same thing for couples. You can certainly still be lonely while with someone else.
If you check, you'll see that she was in such a relationship and many years, and is very happy to be free of it now. That's the bottom line.

Yanno, evva-body diffunt.

By which I mean, if some folks enjoy using their time to immerse themselves in Nature, so be it. And if some people feel good expressing themselves in video-making, so mote it be.

The Dire Wolfess

I'm not sure your vehement defense is warranted. It was merely an observation from a nobody (me), and you've responded as though it was a personal attack.

Let me go at this from a slightly different angle, and encourage everyone to live in their own moment without the pressure to get more subscribers to their life.

WanderingCanuck said:
......... pressure to get more subscribers to their life.
I have watched a number of youtube channels from RVers. Most of them are boring as hell. Carolyn is happy and free as she could be right now, and a lot of people have been enjoying her message. That's good enough for me, and the reason I started this thread. Exact opposite of Tami and Rob and that other youtube woman who aren't worth watching.

I live in the woods. I own 4 acres of forest and a strawbale house I built myself (with help of course!) I wanted a piece of land where I couldn't see my neighbours or hear them. I visited some old friends in the city last week. They said, "But don't you get lonely?" I said, "Sure, sometimes, but look around you here -- do you know your neighbours' names? Do you talk to them? No. It's not like we really interact with people in urban settings, just because of proximity."

Whether we are on the road or camping or traveling or at home in a city of millions or in the countryside: we are all pretty much by ourselves.

ChezCheese:-) said:
 -- do you know your neighbours' names? Do you talk to them?

Whether we are on the road or camping or traveling or at home in a city of millions or in the countryside: we are all pretty much by ourselves.
I think this is very true in cities, and a general fact of life anymore. Families are scattered (my immediate family lives in 5 different states) and people move constantly. Where I live now, people move in and out so much, I have trouble keeping track of who actually lives in the same building, and it only has 16 apartments.

But actually, I find that the people in CGs are more than friendly in general, and happy to tell you their entire life stories, :). Everyone is relieved to get the hell out of the city.

Exactly! I had a group of friends who traveled all the way to TN when Marty Robbins died. The same weekend our neighbor andco-worker died. All the gals chose to drive to TN and attend MR's funeral. I was blown away. Love MR but my Goodness our neighbor was so close and just as important. More, really, as we knew her. But, no.... That changed my life and for the good.
Be real. That is as simple as it gets. BE REAL! Peace :heart: :heart:  :heart:

I don't do video anymore (though I had a great time in my younger days making and posting scifi fan films on YouTube--I did all the scripting, acting, editing, and FX myself). But I do a LOT of photos during my travels and post some of them regularly on my van-travel blog:

https://lennyflank.wordpress.com

I like sharing my travels with friends and family. I also don't give a ratshit how many hits or visits I get. :)

As for "lonely", I never am. I see new things and meet new people virtually every day.

LivGolden said:
...I had a group of friends who traveled all the way to TN when Marty Robbins died. The same weekend our neighbor andco-worker died. All the gals chose to drive to TN and attend MR's funeral. I was blown away. Love MR but my Goodness our neighbor was so close and just as important...
I couldn't agree more!  "Normal" society is more interested in what celebrities do than they are in the people around them.  Personally, I find that despicable.  I saw this trend happening, and how Hollywood and the media was affecting our lives, back in the 90's.  I recognized the slow brainwashing and propaganda that allowed the public to gradually accept sex, violence and vulgar language and call it "entertainment."  I put my foot down and got rid of my TV for good.  I wouldn't dump a box of trash in the middle of my living room and I wasn't about to let a TV do it.  When Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn died, so did Hollywood and I'd had enough.  If I want all that sex, violence and vulgar language shoved down my throat (and made to pay for the privilege), I'd watch the news.

We started out with magazines like Life Magazine, which encompassed everyone.  Later, they came out with People Magazine because it was so much more "fun" to know about that smaller circle of people.  Then that focus narrowed even further with magazines like Us, which eventually led to magazines called Self, as well as others that focus on just YOU!  Isn't that was social media is?  It's narcissistic.  They're pages all about the wonderful Me, Myself & I and the almighty SELFie obsession.  

But, people love their superstars and are devoted to them.  The kicker is, their favorite superstars have absolutely no idea they exist, and wouldn't go out of their way to even say hello to them.  

Personally, I like the music of Clint Black, Randy Travis, Dolly Parton, *************, etc.,  But I'd never pay to go to one of their concerts.  I enjoy their music but I don't know them from Adam to pay $100 (or whatever) to see them.

She has a video channel that's her main income, I think. So she has very understandable motivation to make videos and plenty of them. It's a job.

Doesn't mean she doesn't enjoy nature. Or that she doesn't enjoy making videos, for that matter! And it doesn't mean she's lonely any more than it means someone working at any other job is lonely. You want the money, you do the hours.

Thanks for the link to RV Carolyn!  She seems perfectly happy to me.  As for doing YouTube, it's a personal choice so if someone wants to do it, more power to them.  If they don't, no one is forcing you.  Why judge anyone for their decision?

Personally, I don't have any social media accounts.  Not one.  I do have an anonymous YouTube account that I use to collect playlists for myself.  (I keep them all private.)  I like being invisible.  Wallpaper.  The little mouse that scurries around unnoticed.  It suits me.  But, I'm seriously considering starting a YouTube channel.  If it can possibly help support me, even to the tune of $100/mo. eventually, then it's worth it - to me!  It's a passive income stream to add to other things I'm doing.  

Something I've learned is that there's an audience for everyone and everything.  My YouTube channel is completely blank!  Yet I have quite a few subscribers simply based on comments I've made on videos.  Why not turn that to my advantage if I'm clicking with people?  I have ideas for original van life content that I've not seen on YouTube yet.  I have no interest in punching a clock anymore.  Setting up shots, taking videos, editing, etc.,?  I'm willing to do that because I'd be working for myself.  My time and freedom are still my own.  

Lastly, I have a general comment and observation:  Something I've noticed in life, and am finding to be true in van life as well, is that while there may be a kinship within a community of like-minded people (whether van lifers, RVers, hobbyists, occupations, or even cultures), you can also find rivalry, drama, jealousy, and antagonists.  In life, sometimes our own worst enemies come from within...  At 52, I neither have the strength, nor desire, for the drama.  What a wasted focus.

Dingfelder said:
She has a video channel that's her main income, I think.  So she has very understandable motivation to make videos and plenty of them.  It's a job.

Doesn't mean she doesn't enjoy nature.  Or that she doesn't enjoy making videos, for that matter!  And it doesn't mean she's lonely any more than it means someone working at any other job is lonely.  You want the money, you do the hours.
Yes, exactly.

She seems to be having a good time to me. Interestingly, she has only been making videos for 1 year now, and has had almost 14-million views. So, whatever message she is "selling", she has a good audience for it. It's dumb for anyone to criticize her for making a success out of her ventures. 

This woman is smart. If she still had the yoke around her neck, she'd probably be making well over $100,000 per year, instead of a fraction of that.

I enjoy her videos. It surprises me how much animosity is directed at her ( not on this thread, but from other YouTubers and in various comments.) My take away is the animosity is envy driven. She has a degree in Marketing from Berkeley, so I'm sure knowing how to sell her brand has helped in her online success. More power to her, good for her.

She is an impressive lady, and someone I think I'd enjoy having a cup of coffee with or taking a hike with. She seems very down to earth.

You may get your wish, Rowan. Alaska will be freezing up soon, so she'll likely be heading back south and wintering in AZ where it's warm. And pretty soon, you won't need that fan for Axel either.