Tribal Women

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twokniveskatie

Reaction score
One thing that was common in some tribes was the menstrual hut, a place where women got together during their "moon times" and dealt with a decidedly female issue, and used the time for socializing, relaxing, and supporting each other.

Although this tradition relates to tribal women, the only rules are the "be nice" and "no hijacking threads".

Be nice includes: if a woman says she wants feedback from females, that is to be respected. It is her thread, and her right.

"No" is a complete sentence.

(Edited for spelling)

Kate, my great grandmother was a Kiowa Indian, she was one of the children taken to Carlisle PA, to be deindianized, I am 12.5% today I am proudly an all american mutt, I love my native american history... and I know men had their traditions and women had theirs....I just will not embrace segregation, to the level we have raised it here.... it's not right.... and it's silly in a open to the PUBLIC forum. 

This is a public forum brought to you by people offering a FREE service. They devote their time, money, hearts and energy to keep it running. Saying that they have no right to shape the forum is disrespectful.

We want this to be a safe place for everyone. We want everyone to feel welcome and accepted. It seems that hasn't been accomplished the way we had hoped. Over the next month there will be much exploration into the future of the forums, and how we can best serve the community.

If all I hear from are the people who piss and moan how they don't like it here, how it's unfair, etc, I will start to wonder if the forums even serve a purpose. Maybe it does more harm than good.

We have always said that anyone who does not like the forums and feels it could be done better by you than by the imperfect people who now run it, by all means, start a group that more reflects what you want. We will help you in any way possible, including links to the new forum, etc.

If not, hang on a bit. Have a little patience. After I get to Arizona I will have time to start addressing these things. I can't drive and read and type at the same time, and I want to be part of the decision making process.

I don't know if I'm on topic or not. Referring to #1.<BR><BR>This made me think of&nbsp;other women friends that I had during my fertile years, I remember being so tired and complaining to my other young friends. We would take turns taking each others kids for breaks.<BR>It would have been nice to know that once a month for a few days I could have caught up on sleep. I&nbsp;remember we did this for a few hours at a time. Might have been good to do it every month.<BR>It wouldn't have worked that way though, most of us worked outside our homes and just couldn't take a few days for our own sanity and health.<BR><BR><SPAN style="COLOR: #ff00ff"><STRONG>Dragonfly</STRONG></SPAN>

Yes, you are actually more on topic than me :)

One book I really loved was called the red tent. I was struck by how the women cared for and nurtured each other.

Oh, this is good, I'm post menapausal, I like the name of this topic. Older women may have something to offer the young 'uns. I think it serves&nbsp;across the&nbsp;generations as well as gals with same gender preferences.

Another perspective. &nbsp;<br><br>I highly value this community and forum for the information I both get and give here, and the friendships and camaraderie I find here.<br><br>I am a guest here. &nbsp;I am not an owner. &nbsp;<br><br>I am grateful that the owners seek my input and advise at times.<br><br>Once I give my voice, I defer to the owners' given direction(s) and rules because I am a guest.<br><br>Respectfully, Suanne<br><br>(edited for spelling)

Suanne, I REALLY appreciate your respectful approach.<br><br>We had a big blowup on the board a while back.&nbsp; I really hate to see another one shaping up.

Sunny, I so agree with what you said. I enjoy this forum but lately I won't even post because of things like this.<br>Some do like their chaos.

The moon lodge, as I know it, is a truly powerful place. At ceremony, the moon lodge was located outside the ceremonial circle, a bit of a distance away. We were the first responders to anyone or thing that brought bad intentions to the circle. Beyond that, the&nbsp;camaraderie&nbsp;and support is like nothing I have ever known. The respect the men gave to moon lodge was visible and unwavering.<br><br>There was always at least one Elder (a post menopausal woman,) at the lodge. Besides advising and nurturing those younger, She acts as&nbsp;liaison&nbsp;between the moon lodge and the community. <br><br>&nbsp;

For several years I was living in the NT sorry thats Northern Territory - In the course of my work I visited with remote Indigenous Communities and had the great pleasure of becoming friends with many women.
In all tribal / ancient peoples community set ups there appears to be some form of set womens business and mens business, there is certainly this in Indigenous Aboriginal culture, it is strong, it helps make communities strong, it is law.

It is only the bad things that have been bought to the 1st Australians like grog, drugs, and a break down of the mens/womens business that breaks down a community and brings trouble.

RESPECT is something that is talked about a great deal in Indigenous Culture and I believe they deserve respect for having looked after the land for so long and so well, they deserve respect for living a very hard life at times.

We women of the road deserve respect for living our lives too.

We also need to show respect to others!

annie