Tri-Fold Sleepers Whatcha got? You like it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ORANGE

Reaction score
I want to get my sleep situation sorted!

I want a tri-fold so it can be put up, put aside.  Great for van, or dragging off to a tent.  I now have besides my 2x2 ft puzzle pieces I got at thrift.    I just picked up foam alphabet 1x1 that makes a 4x6  (3 bucks thrift brag) so there be my insulation both van floor or tent floor.  And it even has its own carrying case!  This will save me money on a nice cot.  Though I reckon a nice tri-fold could be cut down for a cot later?

Anyways anyone sleeping on a trifold that is lasting you years?  I 

Thanks

PS Im not wanting to do anything that cant be carted off to a differend vehicle.  My van is nickle and diming me like the speedometer is wonked and is partly in partly out in a transmission so  a transmission guy has to deal with it.  What will happen next Ill find out this week.  But ha ha I plan to order my bed anyways after I get the advice here on a tri-fold.  Cuz its going to be used in SOME vehicle!

UNLESS you think this would be the better way for me to go, because it is so lightweight and just takes kneeling on it twice to roll/compress?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F7WEQYG/ref=twister_B07581DFCS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 I chose that because of less/no outgassing as somone on the forum had once posted about.

I have a twin tri-fold with a top layer of memory foam that's super comfy. Got off Amazon for about $100 i think. Used it for overnights as a volunteer at homeless shelter for a couple years cuz their fold up beds killed my back. Last year I cut it to 28" W x 62" L to fit in my truck cab where I sleep when I camp. I separated each part and made heavy duty canvas covers that velcro together, but can easily come apart to stow in the truck bed when I have passengers.

That is neat!

There are a lot of tri-folds around 100 on Amazon! Just pick one then?

Milliard is the brand I got. I'm a side sleeper, so I got the 6" thickness and do not hit bottom. It was actually $150 when I bought it a few years back.

ORANGE said:
...I want a tri-fold so it can be put up, put aside....
Unless it's something inflatable/deflatable it would still be the same mass, just in a different shape. But would that new shape store nicely or just get in the way differently?

No tri-fold will last forever - 2-3 years is what I expect out of mine. But since it's noticeably cheaper than two nights in a motel, and noticeably more comfortable than a ThermARest, and easier to get out of the way when you want to use the space for something else, it's waaaaay worth it.

Here's what I use.

67f0a66b-8685-4b47-8eb1-c8b7016fa975_1.38a9ce17f36e5a4338d9e81495cd7e46.jpeg

It's just a 2 inch thick, tri-fold mat from Walmart. I paid $40 for it. It works fairly well for me when I'm on the road.

I am making my own trifold type of mattress that has zippered openings. I will be using better quallity of foam in it than what they typically have. But when as eventually happens the foam gets too compressed I can easily replace the individual sections. The other advantage to having zip open sections is a can rotate the end pieces into the middle when the middle goes a bit flat.

I have a Milliard tri-fold that I've used for 2 years. 
Love love LOVE it!
Got it on Amazon

Today one of the tenants in the building rolled a sailboat into their unit to do some renovation work. When I went out to the dumpster after cleaning up I saw a long foam cushion in it. No quite long enough or wide enough for my bed but it is excellent quality, high density foam. It was in good condition with no musty smell. That will provide me with foam for two of the three cushions for my DIY trifold and that will be the better part of $100.00 in cost savings! Not a bad day when you make money when emptying the trash can.

Last year got from Walmart a ‘Your zone Flip Chair’. Paid $79 at the time. Worked well in the van on the floor for xcountry trip and back. Put a Thermarest Mongo King on top, slept very well. Not crazy about tri folds or seat pads made into beds as the folds or creases give less support or are lumpy. As mentioned expect this ‘chair’ to last a year maybe more in constant use, the Mongo should go longer.

Your solution is great

We like tri-folds.  The first 4"er compressed considerably after about 30 days of continuous use by two adults.  I cut up a full-size mattress to replace it with high-density foam rated for continuous use and longevity.  It was too firm for us and too heavy to move around easily in limited space.  Eventually, we replaced that foam with a high-density, continuous use type with a shorter lifespan.  It is much lighter, easy to move and has held up well.

These days, that tri-fold is on a wire slat bed frame in the van, topped with two convoluted toppers, a super thick mattress pad and a comforter.  The frame head raises, and the articulated mattress makes that even better.  Pillows?  Two body; four regular.  Yep.  We sleep extremely well!

Millard 6 in. queen. Designed and built a murphy bed for it in my cargo trailer. Since we spend roughly a third of our lives in bed I wanted to be comfortable. Recommend it.