Traveling NC to NM/AZ..OCT..Which route ? I-40 or 20

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
becida said:
You can use an enhanced drivers licence to get back into the country on the ground or by sea, by air you must have a passport.

That's a good question about what to do if you forgot (or don't have) your passport.
The key word there is "enhanced". When I renewed my DL last year, they would not give me an enhanced DL with the cute little gold star, for reasons I won't go into. So, in another year so, DHS won't allow me to fly, or travel on long-distance busses or trains (as I believe). Well, just as long as I can still drive on the national system of freeways I should be ok. Otherwise, it's back roads for the rest of my life, LOL.

QinReno said:
The key word there is "enhanced". When I renewed my DL last year, they would not give me an enhanced DL with the cute little gold star, for reasons I won't go into. So, in another year so, DHS won't allow me to fly, or travel on long-distance busses or trains (as I believe). Well, just as long as I can still drive on the national system of freeways I should be ok. Otherwise, it's back roads for the rest of my life, LOL.

"Enhanced" is the key word. You need the same documents to get that drivers licence as you do to get a passport.

Just left Ft. Davis and I can't recommend it enough. The Park is clean and quiet. The restaurant is good but rather the local stores for food and treats. People are friendly and you won't get a better view of the sky at night than up at the observatory. Hate to go but the mountains are definitely calling further North.  :heart:

QinReno,
They have established checkpoints on back roads in border states.
As well as impromptu checkpoints in neighboring states.

Back on track folks please!

Topic is routing for the OP,  not a discussion on passports and border checkpoints.

Thank you.

MrNoodly said:
I'm guessing Texas
Ah, just checking the map. I thought LG was in Wisconsin. Many years ago, I drove from No Carolina to Louisiana through San Antonio and to El Paso and thought I'd never get across Texas. I stopped at Big Bend Park along the way. Out at the end of nowheres. 

What was really cool was the CG was full of vultures. As it was getting dark, they started soaring through the CG about 3 feet off the ground and there were 20 or 30 of them sitting on top of the outhouse. As I was eating dinner, this big one was circling around the picnic table and giving me "the eye". At first I was really spooked, but it just wanted something to eat. So if OP sees a vulture at 6 feet away, just rack it up as another cool desert experience.

Either along route 40 or along 20 ?.Not sure which way to go?Not in a hurry to get anywhere.Any tips appreciated. Very new to the vanlife.Downsizing done.Apt gone.Van almost ready.A little bit afraid.Will do it scared!!!
[/quote]

My favorite is Rte 40. Rte 20 & 10 go farther south and it's still WAY too hot for me. Rte 40 has lots of great rest area where you can crash and sleep. It also roughly follows the historic old Rte 66 and there's lots of small towns along the way with friendly people. If you want to detour a little to Nebraska, you will find a lot of nice towns who provide free camping in their local parks..... Some with water, electricity and showers at no charge!

Rte 40 goes they the panhandle of Texas and there you will find Lake Meredith in a National Recreation Area. There is no fee and you can even get free showers!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Meredith_National_Recreation_Area

Grand Canyon is just North of Rte. 40. Petrified Forest is ff Rte 40, as well Santa Fe and dozens of other neat places.

I'm a full time time boondocker travelling solo with 2 dogs and a cat. In my 4th year. Headed south to Rte 40 now!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

In October either route, weather wise, should be ok. I prefer to travel I-20 and I-10 during the winter months.

Don’t sweat the border zones. They just ask if you’re a US citizen and wave you on.