Traveling NC to NM/AZ..OCT..Which route ? I-40 or 20

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
New to van living beginning my journey.. 1 st  week in Oct..Ideas for camping cheap with my small dog.Either along route 40 or along 20 ?.Not sure which way to go?Not in a hurry to get anywhere.Any tips appreciated. Very new to the vanlife.Downsizing done.Apt gone.Van almost ready.A little bit afraid.Will do it scared!!!

If you're not in a hurry then the answer from me would be neither!!

Go to Freecampsites.net, use their trip planner and tell it no interstates or toll roads. Tell it how far off the route you're willing to go to find free camping each night. Then start planning! If you see something interesting on the map that is off route, move the route or just go do it. Personally I like visiting national historic sites and monuments, wildlife sanctuaries and small towns that catch my eye. If the trip from NC to AZ takes you less than a month then you're going too fast.... :D

You'll be routed through secondary highways except where there is no choice, through some of the prettiest country around.

Interstates are for people who are in a hurry and don't want to see any of the country!

You also may want to consider I40 and RT 66

If you do route 66,you are welcome to stay with us for a couple of days.We have elec and water for you.

Almost There & Cyndi have the right idea with freecampsites.net, free camp site to free camp site, off the main roads is a great way to travel. October & later you need to watch the weather.

Going along the gulf coast is a good one too, nothing like having the water there, I like it!
Bear in mind that going thru the SW (around the Mexican border areas) and on I-10 puts you in the "Constitution Free Zone" and you will have to pass thru Border Patrol checkpoints. Not really a problem as long as the drug dogs don't get you.

If you're on I-40, and passing thru Amarillo, TX I'd recommend the Big Texan Steak Ranch. I had a great steak & a guy did the 72 oz free steak challenge, that was fun to watch! I'll stop there again...

I use freecampsites.net, but my main goto resource is this book, don't need to be online to use it. 
https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Americas-Guide-Low-Cost-Campgrounds/dp/0937877557

Nothing left to do but to do it. Take a couple of short trips ... now. Then the long trip will be easier. Initially stay in established CGs where there are lots of other people. Say hello to your neighbors, and listen to their journeys. They'll be happy to tell you their entire life stories, until you're totally bored and want to move on. At that point, you'll know you're a Traveler.

QinReno said:
I use freecampsites.net, but my main goto resource is this book, don't need to be online to use it. 
https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Americas-Guide-Low-Cost-Campgrounds/dp/0937877557
Prairie-schooner.jpg
I went to freecampsites and registered.  Thank you for this wonderful site.  It will take some knowledge to actually use it to plan a trip from Central NY to AZ.  I want to take as southern a route as possible, and as non-mountainous route as possible. I won't be planning such a trip for about a year, so I have time to figure out if I can include Route 66. :D

It would be great if a "WAGON TRAIN" was organized for such a long trip.

Attachments

• Prairie-schooner.jpg
    Prairie-schooner.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 3
Appreciate gulf coast idea.Not hiding anything border patrol can do there thing.A passport needed?What weather concerns for Oct? My 1 st time to SW.

I am traveling for 1 st time to SW.Weather concerns for Oct?Do I need a passport traveling so close to borders?

tx2sturgis said:
No passport needed within the USA. If you exit the USA you will need it to come back.

True, however these days if you look at all like you might be from somewhere south of the border, then it couldn't hurt to have a passport with you.

I've driven coast to coast several times, and for me the hardest part is the plains. But I was always trying to make time. It might not have been so bad if I was just wandering along with plenty of time. If I had to do it over and I had plenty of time I'd avoid Interstates and then grab whichever one is closest to blast across the plains and the bleaker parts of the deserts.

max+sophia said:
to plan a trip from Central NY to AZ.  I want to take as southern a route as possible, and as non-mountainous route as possible. 

Make your way down to Galveston, TX or there abouts and turn right, keep the gulf out your drivers window and you should be fine until you about run into Mexico. When you find Mexico take a right and head (generally) towards El Paso. When you pick up I-10 Arizona is off to the left. 
On the way you might want to take a detour down to Big Bend National park, maybe Terlingua too...

Mind you there are a lot of fun ways to get to Arizona once you leave Texas. Heading down towards our southern border and going west until you get to AZ is very doable.

I liked Poncho Villa state park in Columbus New Mexico....

Enjoy the planning!

becida said:
I liked Poncho Villa state park in Columbus New Mexico....Enjoy the planning!
 .....................................................................................................................................
Thanks for the input.  I'll plug those places you listed into the mapping site.  I suppose an upgrade on my GPS would be a good idea too.   :)

Appreciate gulf coast idea.Not hiding anything border patrol can do there thing.A passport needed?What weather concerns for Oct? My 1 st time to SW.
What becida indicated is that there are many border patrol and ICE checkpoints "near" the border, usually on main north-south roads. Last winter I was down in southern AZ and NM and went through 4 or 5 of them. They'll ask you if you're a US citizen or where you live or something like that. Basic questions.

No one asked for my ID. I drive standard white cargo van, and at one checkpoint he asked if he could look inside, and I said "be my guest". I don't carry weapons and I don't do drugs, nothing to hide. There was a thread on the forum where most of the guys were talking about the manner in which they "defend their constitutional rights", which is all well and good, but my route is to be polite and accommodating as possible, and then get on my way. 

You don't need a passport unless planning to cross into Mexico, and then hope they will will let you back into the US. I often wonder what happens when some US citizen tries that without having a passport. Stay in Mexico forever after?

QinReno said:
You don't need a passport unless planning to cross into Mexico, and then hope they will will let you back into the US. I often wonder what happens when some US citizen tries that without having a passport. Stay in Mexico forever after?

You can use an enhanced drivers licence to get back into the country on the ground or by sea, by air you must have a passport.

That's a good question about what to do if you forgot (or don't have) your passport.

No passport required if your an American citizen

cyndi said:
No passport required if your an American citizen

Talking about getting back INTO the USA & proving you are a citizen.