Travel Lite Experience?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxLady

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have experience with Travel Lite truck campers?  I know some years back their build quality was suspect.  However I love the Rayzr FB model for its simplicity and might consider it for getting my feet wet in the RV Life traveling world when I retire in another year or so.

Vern said:
Hi,

If you're looking for that style of slide-in camper you might look at Capri campers...

http://capricamper.com/models/cowboy/

They have a good reputation and an actual person answers the phone

Safe travels

I have but they are too short!  I need something I can stand up in (I'm 5'11" tall).  I can do without a bathroom and don't really want the maintenance of black tanks, but I must have a comfortable bed and air conditioning.  The Rayzr is the simplest model I can find with those features.  Also might consider the Travel Lite 625.

TxLady said:
I have but they are too short!  I need something I can stand up in (I'm 5'11" tall).  I can do without a bathroom and don't really want the maintenance of black tanks, but I must have a comfortable bed and air conditioning.  The Rayzr is the simplest model I can find with those features.  Also might consider the Travel Lite 625.

I also might consider a Eureka Slide Inn camper.  It has the basics I want, but the height is again, probably too low.  I've got plenty of time to decide!

Did you see Bob's video with the owner of one of Trail Lite's slide-in truck campers? The owner seemed very happy with it.

We were considering a Travel Lite TT, so did some research on the company. To me, for what we would get and the reputation concerning quality, it was not a fit. As long as one understands what they are buying, the quality and what to expect with longevity and possible issues, it could work.

I am familiar with the unit you are speaking of as I also looked at them online. I do not know of another company making such an product. I was, however, concerned about the aerodynamics, and honestly I don't understand aerodynamics that well. I loved the floor plans, simple and functional and the weights made them attractive too.

I would "google" them.

At one time, that company put our exceptional units, but like others, trying to produce them at an attractive price and still make a profit, quality has slipped.

Are you aware of this free, online magazine on truck campers? http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/ Articles can be biased to the manufacturer, but still some good basic info.

Snow Gypsy said:
We were considering a Travel Lite TT, so did some research on the company.  To me, for what we would get and the reputation concerning quality, it was not a fit.  As long as one understands what they are buying, the quality and what to expect with longevity and possible issues, it could work.

I am familiar with the unit you are speaking of as I also looked at them online.  I do not know of another company making such an product.  I was, however, concerned about the aerodynamics, and honestly I don't understand aerodynamics that well.  I loved the floor plans, simple and functional and the weights made them attractive too.

I would "google" them.

At one time, that company put our exceptional units, but like others, trying to produce them at an attractive price and still make a profit, quality has slipped.

Are you aware of this free, online magazine on truck campers?  http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/  Articles can be biased to the manufacturer, but still some good basic info.

Yes, I've read the reviews of the Rayzr on the Truck Camper Magazine website.  That is where I first read about them when looking for a truck camper without a cabover.  On RVTrader, a number of dealers are carrying them now, just not in the area where I live.  There's an RV show in Houston this weekend which I'm attending but I don't expect to see one there.  It seems to be all local dealers and I expect to see lots of behemoth class A's, fifth wheels, travel trailers, etc.

DuneElliot said:
Did you see Bob's video with the owner of one of Trail Lite's slide-in truck campers? The owner seemed very happy with it.

I have not seen said video, I will have to search for it on YouTube tonight.  I did see one video by a Travel Lite Rayzr owner, but they were towing a Runaway in addition to the truck camper which seems to me to defeat the purpose.  I've seen several dealer videos as well.  The Rayzr looks ideal assuming it doesn't fall apart in a strong wind or on a bumpy road. :)

TxLady said:

I've read on many forums that Capri will customize things to your needs.....so they might be willing to build one with the interior height you need.  I was researching truck campers a few years back and lots of people had good things to say about their Capri's.

There's an RV show in Houston this weekend?
Now I am interested in that, might go there myself, have a glance around, first time I've had a weekend off in, well, forever

ArtW said:
There's an RV show in Houston this weekend?
Now I am interested in that, might go there myself, have a glance around, first time I've had a weekend off in, well, forever

Yes, it's in the NRG Center which is adjacent to the Astrodome and NRG Stadium.  There's a website with details, houstonrvshow.com.

"To keep our feet planted in reality, while remaining conservative with our data, we are going to recalculate the wet weight of the Rayzr FB with 250 pounds of stuff weight. We have done this for all of the short bed, half-ton, no-bath campers for 2016, so we’re staying consistent. This adjustment puts the base wet weight of the Rayzr FB at 1,535.1 pounds, and the standard build wet weight (review unit) at 1,610.1 pounds." From 2016 review of the RazrFB camper by Truck Camper magazine. Just remember, no fridg in that unit.

A stock 2014 S Cab F150 XLT 2wd has an estimated payload of 1988# so you could make it work ok.

This may be old news but Travel Lite has a new Air model truck camper. They are all going to be the same build, weight and price everywhere. Only room for one battery and 10 gallons fresh water. No toilet, shower, grey/black tank.

MSRP $12,268 (including delivery anywhere in US)
Weight 1,120 lbs (battery, water not included)

Video

Article in Truck Camper Magazine
http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/tcm-exclusive-2017-travel-lite-air/

Product page
http://travellitecampers.com/truck-campers/travel-lite-air/

Saw it, don't like it. I don't like having the dinette in front of the bed. I don't like cabover beds period. I'm 5'11" and can't even sit up in a cabover bed, much less climb up there and scooch around to sleep. I would be bashing my head constantly. That's why I like the Rayzr. Small, yes but no climbing into a cabover.

Check out the Cave Truck Camper for something similar with no above cab sleeper. $9000 if I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bdog1 said:
Check out the Cave Truck Camper for something similar with no above cab sleeper.  $9000  if I remember.  

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at the website and it's different and interesting but probably not for me.  A little too spartan on the inside, like (as the description says) being inside a cooler.  Anything you can hose out and wipe down is probably a niche product for people who have that need.  The design is ok, the open storage, bed sizes, etc.  Even not having a "kitchen" or bathroom is ok; there are ways to work around that.  Just don't like appearance of all the white, plastic-y looking interior.

TxLady said:
Does anyone out there have experience with Travel Lite truck campers?  I know some years back their build quality was suspect.  However I love the Rayzr FB model for its simplicity and might consider it for getting my feet wet in the RV Life traveling world when I retire in another year or so.

I have a new 2019 Travel Lite ::( am sad to say it was a very poor purchase. It is light and the price was low but the quality is so bad and the company does not stand behind their product at all. In the first two weeks I had 5 water leaks ( roof sealer, pass thru window, side window , left front jack support and furnace cover) , twisted gas line,  battery vent installed upside down, no support under battery shelf, gas line contacting water line and stove rattling when water pump was running, propane door not closing correctly and water getting in, outside fridge vents installed uneven, and after 2 months the sink started to rust. I talked to Rob Smith at travel lite and thought he was going to stand behind his produce but after a bunch of promises and no help he stopped answering e-mails and repeated phone calls. In short I got none of my issues resolved. I had to fix my camper on my own dime. I will never buy another Travel Lite product. Very poor quality build.

TxLady said:
I also might consider a Eureka Slide Inn camper.  It has the basics I want, but the height is again, probably too low.  I've got plenty of time to decide!

Hi TxLady,

Sorry if someone already mentioned this, but Alaskan has non-cabovers. Their website says: Plenty of head room (6’ 3 1/4″ ceiling)