Travel information centers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
I was looking at my options for some overnight stays around Texas and discovered that the TX DPS maintains something like 80 travel information centers in various cities throughout the state. And it certainly sounds like they welcome overnight travelers, since they mention that they have 24-attendants, 24-hour restrooms etc.

Anybody here use these kinds of public facilities for overnighting?

I overnighted one east of Houston. No problems, very safe.

I used one between San Antonio and Corpus Christi. Nice, if you don't mind traffic noise and slamming vehicle doors all night. There are also rest stops and "picnic areas" all along the major highways, though most of them are just barely off the highway.

I can now vouch for the one in Amarillo (east end of town, right off I-40). Very nice 24-hour restrooms, vending machines, and a nice paved lot with separate RV and truck areas. Main building was closed in the evening when I got there, so don;t know about the inside yet. Pretty sure free wifi is available, but don't know about the quality.

The Welcome Centers usually found on major highways at state lines are always a good spot !
I've spent MANY nights in them.
Of course this may change but I think they are extra careful to make them all the best they can be .

How are the state rest areas on I-40 in New Mexico for overnight? Choice between the rest areas, truck stops, or WM. Been a while since I have been through there.

MrNoodly said:
I used one between San Antonio and Corpus Christi. Nice, if you don't mind traffic noise and slamming vehicle doors all night. There are also  rest stops and "picnic areas" all along the major highways, though most of them are just barely off the highway.

Sounds like Walmart!  :D

In a Walmart near St. Pete, FL, I've had 2 young guys talking within 5' from my pickup for hours. Then they tried to pick my locks 2' from me sleeping in the reclined drivers seat (I had dark windows and Reflectix on all windows with velcro attached to the cab, before I knew what Reflectix was called.) I just rolled over and that got rid of them.

I was lazy, and paid the price. Rest stops are riskier, unless 18 wheelers parking is near: the LEO's of the highway. You just need ear plugs around Trucker's AC generators, but I feel much safer than Walmart!

I've stayed at many WMs and have had few problems. At Coos Bay,OR I was irritated when someone in a TT pulled in near me and ran a gennie past midnight. I pulled up near to them and laid on my horn for a good 5 seconds or so then moved to the other end of the lot.

My experience with the travel information centers has been pretty positive. The people that work there are usually pretty friendly and generally have a good knowledge of the local area. I was at one up in Montana last summer and struck up a conversation with one of the ladies working there. I was camping with my son at the time and she gave us ideas on local places to see while we were there that I doubt we ever would have thought of on our own.

One was a really cool natural hot spring that was a hole in the wall kind of place that was pretty cool to hang out at. The other was a deserted town that used to have a population of 10,000 and now it's down to a few hundred. But all the buildings are there. Fire, library, city hall. Everything you see in a small town. But this one was pretty much deserted. We never would have even looked for it if if were not for the
helpful lady at the information center.

So they are a great place to park for the night while traveling but if you are taking your time it's a great way to find out cool things to do in the area as well.

Latest posts