Trash Disposal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CosmickGold's post hole diggers seconded. I keep a just-my-size (length) in the van. Business end covered with a folding chair bag. Except for desert caliche, or large roots, allows digging an 12" or deeper hole in very short order. A deep hole lasts a few days. Absorbs liquid waste. Doesn't leave a large soft spot for animals to easily disturb.

Sadly, it also allows for disposal/burial of others' waste/litter remnants. I wouldn't trade the post hole diggers for a dozen, especially short, or folding, shovels.

The question was about Trash Disposal NOT waste disposal. I have absolutely NO reason or desire to dump human waste or grey/black water on the ground.
yea one person mentioned pee and disposal and the thread goes off :) we know you are dumping trash cause ya said it but normal for any forum to go all crazy at some point in a thread LOL but some will keep dragging that mute point forward, ugh

Ok I think I have a plan that will work. I plan to use Walmart bags and small 4 gallon bags for the trash and store them in my big 13 gallon can. Then I can dump the smaller bags as I find places to dump them, i.e. gas stations, truck stops etc. I can store several of the smaller bags of trash in the big can, and if I am some place that allows the bigger bags, then I can dump all of them at the same time.

I think this will work out better.

I don't think LargeMarge was directing his post to anybody in particular Freelander, but to the general forum public about how disgusting plastic bags / garbage is when people living in vehicles (like most of the people on this forum) behave like in the photos. When people are polite, and think about how much garbage they are producing, and also how to dispose responsibly it's better for everyone. I think that was his point.
Correct me if I'm wrong LargeMarge.

Here's what we did when we had one kitchen size garbage bag to get rid of, no public garbage dumpsters in sight. Went to an ace hardware purchased an item that we needed and asked where we could dump. The cashier said there's a dump up the road but it costs $15-20 no matter how much you dump. Then he asked how much we had. When I said one 13gal bag he said "I'll open up our dumpster for you." We thanked him and went on our way. And of course now I will go to that ace for my hardware. It was kind of him and good customer service. My point is sometimes you just need to ask.

Here's a video about how to tie those plastic grocery bags into a very compact bundle.

That bag folding technique is very appealing to the sheet folder in me.

I use at least 2 pee pads a day so Walmart sacks won't last very long. I have a 13 gal bag of trash maybe once a week. And most of that is the pee pads.
Hi Freelander, I don't know how big your dogs are, but why aren't they doing most of their business outside? I have 2 Pomeranians who are trained to use a tub full of woodstove pellets (so I don't have to worry about it when I'm at work). In summer, when it's hot, this needs to be changed every 2 weeks. Lasts longer in winter. But my dogs are very little. The woodstove pellets are biodegradeable--could probably just be added to the ground if you are not in the desert. I'm pretty sure pee pads are not biodegradable.

I have 2 Chihuahuas and a Chuweenie, one of the Chihuahuas is old and frail and does good to get from her bed to the food bowl, she has lost most of her teeth, has a hernia and a big tumor, and cataracts on both her eyes. All she does is sleep 20 hours a day, I'm afraid to let her out without watching her, she may not be able to find her way home, and she has problems with climbing the steps. The other Chihuahua is house broke but there are times when I am not here and she is real good about using the pads. The Chuweenie (half Chihuahua and half Weenie dog) is a real mess I have been working with her about going outside and she is doing better, but she still likes to potty on my floor. She is a bit on the stupid side.

Where I am at now is not a good place to leave them outside, when I'm out in the woods I do leave them out side most of the day. I use the pad for times when I can't take them outside. I take 2 of them outside 3 or 4 times a day when I can. I put one pad out at night and change it in the morning.

Last edited:
I have a narrow tall-kitchen trash can that fits snuggly in the footwell behind oneof my twin side doors. I line it with a tall-kitchen trash bag. If I need to empty this trash can before a dumpster is available, I stack the snuggly-tied bag(s) on the floor in front of my passenger seat. Eventually, I throw them into any dumpster that has plenty of additional room (i.e. won't be filled), when there is no one around to possibly complain.

How does everyone dispose of trash when boon docking??

I use a 13 gallon can with bags and I am looking for ideas on where I can put my trash without having problems.
Problem's not trash disposal, it's pee pads. How much pee are we talking about? Many companies make smaller reusable pee pads, or continence pads for humans, that can be washed / rinsed and reused.

Pine pellets and stove pellets, a decent biodegradable solution.

I also googled and came up with something called an indoor dog potty. With " drainage ", so at least some of the urine can just be poured out.

Good luck with this. In my life I have found pet (cat) waste disposal one of my bigger environmental footprint challenges.

My wife was bedfast for many years and I used bed pads with her, I don't want to go back to that. Brings back bad memories.

I have 2 Chihuahuas and a Chuweenie, one of the Chihuahuas is old and frail and does good to get from her bed to the food bowl, she has lost most of her teeth, has a hernia and a big tumor, and cataracts on both her eyes. All she does is sleep 20 hours a day, I'm afraid to let her out without watching her, she may not be able to find her way home, and she has problems with climbing the steps. The other Chihuahua is house broke but there are times when I am not here and she is real good about using the pads. The Chuweenie (half Chihuahua and half Weenie dog) is a real mess I have been working with her about going outside and she is doing better, but she still likes to potty on my floor. She is a bit on the stupid side.

Where I am at now is not a good place to leave them outside, when I'm out in the woods I do leave them out side most of the day. I use the pad for times when I can't take them outside. I take 2 of them outside 3 or 4 times a day when I can. I put one pad out at night and change it in the morning.
Hi Freelander, FWIW, my Poms are missing a lot of teeth. The vets take them out pretty much every year. Little dogs don't seem to be able to keep teeth. I was brushing their teeth pretty religiously, but it didn't seem to stop their teeth from decaying. Maybe slowed it down a little.

I wouldn't just let my dogs out without a leash though--too many coyotes. Even in a sticks n bricks in some areas. My girlfriend lost her chihuahua to a coyote that jumped her fence into her backyard--in the San Fernando Valley, CA. I try to let my dogs out about every 3-4 hrs when home. With people, this is known as "timed voiding." It works for dogs too. One of my Poms is a rescue and she had a lot of GI problems when I got her. She is allergic to beef, but I didn't know that for years. I had spent big $ taking her to vets, and they didn't help me. I just figured it out with a lot of research. Once I altered her diet, problems of pooping on the floor went away. She was a lot healthier too.

Your dogs are small enough to learn to use a tub (like the kind they use to bus dishes at a restaurant) with woodstove pellets. By your description though, the older one probably wouldn't be able to jump into it. Before I knew about woodstove pellets, I had a big baking sheet (with 1" sides) that I used to put paper on, and the Poms would use that. The pellets are better though, because they absorb whatever the dog puts in the bin, whereas with the paper they would step in what they had done and track it onto the floor.

I don't want to mess with the wood pellets. I also have a limited amount of storage, so every bit of space is important.

I have a system now that seems to work, the Chuweenie is the real problem. So when she comes and sees me, its time to take her out. If I don't take her out and wait to long she will find someplace to go, she is learning, but she will take time. When I still had a house, we had a dog door and they could come and go as they pleased, but being in the RV and no easy access to the outside, things are different.

The little dogs I don't have a problem with, they are pad trained, but the Weenie dog is different.

I have found that using the smaller Walmart type bags I can fit at least 3 of those on my 13 gal can and I can dump them easier.