transmission fluid spill- oops

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judykazooty

Reaction score
Transmission fluid had minor leak... topping it off. So, it was going ok until I took my eye off the funnel and Tranny fluid poured into the abyss that is my engine on the 76 Ford E 250 High top van-351 Windsor, 8 cyl. I cleaned it up and did a pretty thorough job. I proceeded to scrape 40+ years of dirt and grime and muck off the underbody/frame down to bare metal so that I could see where the leak was coming from. I started the engine to check the fluid level.. smoked when the engine got hot so I figured I missed some fluid. I shut the engine and got the fire extinguisher out and set it nearby just in case. I was underneath wiping a cable and soon I am seeing bare wire- heavy twisted wire... about 6 inches of bare wire in the middle of insulated wire, but the insulation was cracked and damaged. I traced it up to the top.

It is the battery cable- the negative. I know that transmission fluid can mess things up and I assume that it did just that with the cable. I flipped the kill switch on the battery. I was going to ask someone to bring me a new cable and just install it but I can't get the bolt off the bottom end- I tried liquid wrench on the nut, and tapped it, but I can't budge it. I would need an impact wrench to do it. It's a battery cable for goodness sake. I just don't have the strength to get it off. Can I wrap the sucker in electrical tape and drive it the 15 minutes to a mechanic? I know there was pink fluid on the bare wires- either from the spill or the rag I wiped the wire down with. What will clean up that twisted wire? Do I need to have it towed? Would I risk fire if I wrapped it? I don't have to do this tomorrow. We had just gone food shopping and we are safe here in the NF in the trailer. Thanks for any advice. Judy

short term the trans fluid will hurt nothing. take it to a self car wash and wash it off. actually trans fluid is an excellent solvent and where it spilled will come out really clean.

the ground cable loosing the insulation was not caused by the trans fluid. don't worry about the ground cable it doesn't need replacing right away, in fact back in the day vehicles didn't have insulation on the grounds.

now long term trans fluid and oil will damage wire insulation and rubber parts. so ID those leaks and get them fixed. highdesertranger

If it is connected to the negative post, then there is no risk of spark or fire. But you could have all sorts of grounding issues, so replace it ASAP.

Replace it yourself. Very easy (two nuts) and save yourself a bunch of money. They sell the cables (of varying lengths) at any auto store or even Walmart.

highdesertranger said:
short term the trans fluid will hurt nothing.  take it to a self car wash and wash it off.  actually trans fluid is an excellent solvent and where it spilled will come out really clean.

the ground cable loosing the insulation was not caused by the trans fluid.  don't worry about the ground cable it doesn't need replacing right away,  in fact back in the day vehicles didn't have insulation on the grounds.

now long term trans fluid and oil will damage wire insulation and rubber parts.  so ID those leaks and get them fixed.  highdesertranger

Thanks High Desert! I was hoping this would  be true of the ground wire. Will reinstall the cable at the battery and buy myself an impact wrench and new battery cable and take care of it myself.  I did see (early yesterday) a small trans leak where two small metal pipes join together with a nut that I believe was tightened earlier- will tighten again. I added Lucas trans stop-leak yesterday and have not seen a leak since returning from grocery shopping... will check underneath again. Thanks for your help. Will get an appointment with the repair shop the FS ranger reccommened as well and see what he can see. Judy

Van-Tramp said:
If it is connected to the negative post, then there is no risk of spark or fire. But you could have all sorts of grounding issues, so replace it ASAP.

Replace it yourself. Very easy (two nuts) and save yourself a bunch of money. They sell the cables (of varying lengths) at any auto store or even Walmart.

Hi Van Tramp- thanks for the adcvice. I was attempting to replace it myself- but the one nut underneath, I just couldnt budge- I carry a 120 PSI compressor- will buy an impact wrench and socket set today and a new battery cable- I should be able to get that nut off- I just don't have enough strength any more. Gotta love a good power tool! Judy

Get some PB Blaster to spray it down with and let it soak in for a day or overnight.
The PB alone might make the extra tools not needed too.

if not

Unless you're contemplating doing a LOT of HD repairs the impact is too much $ for this.
A nice 1/2" breaker bar and a socket will cure that stuck bolt.

or

Stop at a mechanic and ask how much to pull that bolt.
(Even a handy teenager might have enough strength if you can find one)

Did you fill the tranny fluid with the engine off or running?

rvpopeye said:
Get some PB Blaster to spray it down with and let it soak in for a day or overnight.
The PB alone might make the extra tools not needed too.

if not
Unless you're contemplating doing a LOT of HD repairs the impact is too much $ for this.
A nice 1/2" breaker bar and a socket will cure that stuck bolt.

or
Stop at a mechanic and ask how much to pull that bolt.
(Even a handy teenager might have enough strength if you can find one)

Did you fill the tranny fluid with the engine off or running?

Will try the PB Blaster first... then the breaker bar and mybe some stronger person at the parts store will give me a hand if I still can't get it off. I filled the tranny fluid with the engine off.  Judy

judykazooty said:
Transmission fluid had minor leak... topping it off. So, it was going ok until I took my eye off the funnel and Tranny fluid poured into the abyss that is my engine on the 76 Ford E 250 High top van-351 Windsor, 8 cyl. I cleaned it up and did a pretty thorough job. 
<-------->
  I would need an impact wrench to do it. It's a battery cable for goodness sake. I just don't have the strength to get it off. Can I wrap the sucker in electrical tape and drive it the 15 minutes to a mechanic? I know there was pink fluid on the bare wires- either from the spill or the rag I wiped the wire down with. What will clean up that twisted wire? Do I need to have it towed? Would I risk fire if I wrapped it? I don't have to do this tomorrow. We had just gone food shopping and we are safe here in the NF in the trailer. Thanks for any advice. Judy
Agree with HDR, the tranny fluid did nothing to the cable, and the insulation is a non issue as well, as long as you're sure it's the ground, (negative side) Anybody here old enough to remember the old woven negative chassis ground straps that had no shielding whatsoever?
The spilled tranny fluid probably ended up on the exhaust manifold as the filler tubes are usually right above the one on the passenger side. Also a non issue. It'll usually burn off rather quickly. Maybe smoke for twenty minutes or so depending on how much is there.
I wouldn't be too concerned about either of the two issues you brought up.

yikes, you check and fill trans fluid in park(some vehicles neutral), vehicle hot, and RUNNING. if you checked it without the engine running you overfilled it. highdesertranger

Yes , that was what I was going to say ^HDR.
Engine hot (after driving for a half hour or so , leave it running .
While holding brake slowly shift through all positions P , R , N , D , L , D , N , and leave it there.
Engage parking brake and or block wheels.
NOW pull dip stick and check the level......fill only to the full line.

Don't drive it with overfill situation !

highdesertranger said:
yikes,  you check and fill trans fluid in park(some vehicles neutral),  vehicle hot,  and RUNNING.  if you checked it without the engine running you overfilled it.  highdesertranger

OK- got it now.I have always checked it with engine hot and running- checked itagain yesterday and I am still good... not overfilled. (The spill may have saved me.)  :cool:

anybody with an older vehicle needs to carry a propane torch. heat works....like really good. PB blaster is basically useless shit. It's much, much better to use heat than a breaker bar because you can break an old bolt pretty easy.

second just wrap it in tape and be done.

rvpopeye said:
Yes , that was what I was going to say ^HDR.
Engine hot (after driving for a half hour or so , leave it running .
While holding brake slowly shift through all positions P , R , N , D , L , D , N , and leave it there.
Engage parking brake and or block wheels.
NOW pull dip stick and check the level......fill only to the full line.

Don't drive it with overfill situation !

Is not overfilled now RVP- but how would I deal with that situation if it were?

bardo said:
anybody with an older vehicle needs to carry a propane torch. heat works....like really good. PB blaster is basically useless shit. It's much, much better to use heat than a breaker bar because you can break an old bolt pretty easy.

second just wrap it in tape and be done.

I have one, but I'm not sure I trust me under a vehicle with a propane torch! :-/

Maybe Bardo can bring his torch and fix it for you.  You ain't gettin my 69 year old ass under a vehicle with a torch.  Good friend of mine got 3rd degree burns trying that about 35 years ago and he still has issues.  Yeah I'd call Bardo and sent flowers.

lmao what about the millions of people welding exhausts everyday?

.... Or the millions actually using a torch?

Removing fluid is easiest by siphoning from the fill tube.
or you could loosen an oil line
or drop the pan and redo it all !

rvpopeye said:
Removing fluid is easiest by siphoning from the fill tube.
or you could loosen an oil line
or drop the pan and redo it all !
Thanks, popeye. Good to know.
judy