Towing prospective TT

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verostass

Reaction score
Hello folks,

I've been searching like crazy for a travel trailer to live in full time and think I may have found one finally. It is a 32' Flagstaff 831FLSS. The base weight is 6559 and has a 1900 pound carrying capacity. Hitch weight is 764. I'm looking for advice on a truck to safely tow this rig and feel like this the best place to ask. Thank you in advance and I hope you are all having a great day!

I guess it depends on where and how often you will be towing that trailer. Fully loaded you will be well over 8000 pounds, which is right about where we are with the 27 foot Airstream loaded up. Unlike most other people we see on the road, we are towing with a Gasoline V8 2010 Silverado 1500 (most would consider it to me too small a truck, myself included). We tow over mountain passes and everything and I must admit the truck has done well. A 2500 truck would be much better of course. A 3500 is even better, but I would say it is overkill.

Some things that had to be done to the 1500 to tow 8000 pounds was a really big weight distribution hitch setup and I installed airbags on the rear suspension of it last year (it towed for 5 years without) as the rear was sagging heavily with all the extra gear we were hauling around in the bed of the truck.

If I had to give just a simple one-sentence piece of advice, it would be to go with a 3/4 ton truck. No need for a big duely or massive diesel powered monster for what you are thinking, but something a step up from a 1/2 ton would be nice.

Van-Tramp said:
If I had to give just a simple one-sentence piece of advice, it would be to go with a 3/4 ton truck. No need for a big duely or massive diesel powered monster for what you are thinking, but something a step up from a 1/2 ton would be nice.
Another advantage of 3/4 ton or bigger besides the obvious larger towing capacity would be brakes. They generally get larger brakes for stopping larger loads.

Thank you for your suggestions! I was going back and forth on the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton truck option. We plan on doing a lot of traveling eventually, so I guess it would be our best bet to go with the 3/4 ton just to be on the safe side. As far as options on a 3/4 ton truck go, what would you say would work for my situation? Is 4 wheel drive necessary? (sorry, i'm a little dumbfounded by all of the truck information online)

As far as the weight distribution hitch set up - what are your thoughts on the Reese 49902 Pro Series weight distribution kit with sway control? Seems to be a popular choice on Amazon from what I see. Again, thank you for your help. I really do appreciate the advice from an experienced RV'er!

I have known a 28' with slide that pulled really well with a Ford 7.3 diesel Excursion which was 3/4 ton I believe. Definitely get something with a factory tow package and long wheelbase, equalizer hitch and sway control, and trailer brakes. Add on stuff works but never seems to fit or mesh as well as factory parts ( wires not in a loom, plug in the wrong place ect. ) so think about a smaller trailer or at least a 3/4 ton with a tow package. 4 wheel drive is great for dirt, snow and gravel but usually has less weight carrying capacity, with that big a trailer you may find it necessary to get turned around on narrow paved roads, don't ask me how I know.

Just a few thoughts on this :
Don't overload a 1/2 ton truck. Not only is it a bad idea,  but good luck getting your insurance company to pay a claim for you overloading the truck. 
Yes, a half ton truck can pull a lot more weight than thier rating. Keep in mind the 1/2 ton frame is smaller, the axles are smaller and weaker, and the wheel bearings are much smaller and WILL burn up under heavy weight. 
I tow with a 2001 k2500 suburban with the 8.1L engine and 4l80e trans.  It is rated tow tow 12,000 lbs, the same as a diesel excursion.  Maintenance cost and parts cost about half as much as a diesel.

Grizzly708 said:
Just a few thoughts on this :
Don't overload a 1/2 ton truck. Not only is it a bad idea,  but good luck getting your insurance company to pay a claim for you overloading the truck. 
Yes, a half ton truck can pull a lot more weight than thier rating. Keep in mind the 1/2 ton frame is smaller, the axles are smaller and weaker, and the wheel bearings are much smaller and WILL burn up under heavy weight. 
I tow with a 2001 k2500 suburban with the 8.1L engine and 4l80e trans.  It is rated tow tow 12,000 lbs, the same as a diesel excursion.  Maintenance cost and parts cost about half as much as a diesel.
Good points, and one of the reasons I bought a 3/4 ton van.

Whichever truck you buy, 3/4 ton or more, (250 or 2500) make sure you get the bigger motor and the shorter ratio rear. (bigger number).

If the truck comes from the factory with a 7 pin trailer connector and 2 inch receiver (tow package) then you can be pretty sure it also has the following:

• Tow/haul mode
  • Heavy duty suspension (shocks, springs, etc)
  • Trailer brake controller
  • Shorter gearing (3.73 or 4.11 or close to those numbers)
  • External (or auxiliary) transmission cooler (or possibly listed as internal) 
  • Probably a 5 or 6 speed heavy duty transmission

Unlike buying a half-ton light duty pickup, you are now looking for a heavy duty truck to get a job done.

Prepare for some 'sticker shock'!

For sure 3/4 ton or more. 4x4 is very useful not just for soft sand/muddy conditions but is also great for the ultra low gear, helps with pushing trailer up on leveling blocks. Having 4 wheel drive is a huge peace of mind, without it you will always be worrying about getting stuck on backroads.

I bought a 1/2 ton and it's been the bane of my existence ever since. At the time I was very sick and thought my trailering days were behind me, the rebates from the manufacturer were huge, so I got it deeply discounted, it seemed like the perfect truck at the time and it was for the first 2 and a half years. Now i'm regularly pushing it to it's max and probably a little over. I have a 27' camper and towing that isn't comfortable, it does it but it's far from ideal. I'm currently thinking about selling it and going to a 3/4 ton which I should have just done in the first place.

I just picked up a '96 Suburban 2500. That's the 3/4 ton model. They are rated to tow 10,000 pounds and are pretty affordable these days. Something to consider.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I bought a 1/2 ton and it's been the bane of my existence ever since.  At the time I was very sick and thought my trailering days were behind me,  the rebates from the manufacturer were huge, so I got it deeply discounted,  it seemed like the perfect truck at the time and it was for the first 2 and a half years.  Now i'm regularly pushing it to it's max and probably a little over.  I have a 27' camper and towing that isn't comfortable, it does it but it's far from ideal.  I'm currently thinking about selling it and going to a 3/4 ton which I should have just done in the first place.

I hear ya. We tow a 19 ft. travel trailer with our 2002 F150. The truck has a GCWR of 12,500#. We weighed our set up last weekend- it came in at 10,300# unloaded. So we are very close to the maximum and have to be really careful with how much we load.  Trouble is, it is paid for. The new 3/4 tons are so much $$.