Towing Cargo Trailer - Wind Resistance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomadMike

Reaction score
I have sold my fifth wheel and large tow vehicle, i now am planning a cargo trailer build. For my tow vehicle, i have a 2016 chevy colorado 4x4 with the 2.8 4cyl. duramax diesel, which has only 185 hp. but has a respectable 370 ft. lbs, of torque, it also has the engine exhaust braking and integrated brake controller. The tow rating is 7600 lbs., but i know with a cargo trailer that the main impediment to towing is the wind resistance of the frontal area. I would like a 7x20' full aluminum v-nose 6'6" inside height, the trailer empty weight is around 2360 lbs.. I would probably be around 4000 lbs., after i get the inside finished and all my solar panels and batteries installed. I was wondering if anyone has any experience on how these trailers tow, and whether you think this is doable or not?   :huh:

the V-nose will help cut through the wind. 2360 seems light for a 20 footer, are you sure about that. I would get brakes on both axles. I think you won't win any races. it's not HP but gearing and torque I would be more worried about stopping. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
the V-nose will help cut through the wind. 2360 seems light for a 20 footer, are you sure about that. I would get brakes on both axles. I think you won't win any races. it's not HP but gearing and torque I would be more worried about stopping. highdesertranger
The weight of the trailer comes from Trailers Midwest website, for the stealth brand trailers, it does say estimated weight, so i expect it could be a little heavier. The aluminum trailer is about 600 lbs. lighter than the steel equivalent.

One thing you have to be careful of with the Vnose trailers is how you load them. They just add the V over the tongue and you can easily end up with way too much tongue weight.

I've also read on many articles that V nose trailers actually tow worse. Drag is mostly created from wind passing the sides of the trailer. So a V nose increases side surface and thus increases drag. On top of that the V shape creates an area where the same wind gusts can hit both sides at the same time further increasing sway. They also say drag is created in the rear. That an ice cream cone with the tip facing backwards actually causes less drag. To further illustrate that point, look at airplanes. The nose of the plane is considerably wider than the rear. And that's because most drag is created in the rear. Thus a Vnose does nothing to decrease drag and in fact increases it.

If you read on different forums people claim Flat front and V fronts both tow better. However, i'm guessing more of their preference has to do more with how they loaded their trailers than which scientifically actually tows better.

Every Road Leads Home said:
One thing you have to be careful of with the Vnose trailers is how you load them. They just add the V over the tongue and you can easily end up with way too much tongue weight.

I've also read on many articles that V nose trailers actually tow worse. Drag is mostly created from wind passing the sides of the trailer. So a V nose increases side surface and thus increases drag. On top of that the V shape creates an area where the same wind gusts can hit both sides at the same time further increasing sway. They also say drag is created in the rear. That an ice cream cone with the tip facing backwards actually causes less drag. To further illustrate that point, look at airplanes. The nose of the plane is considerably wider than the rear. And that's because most drag is created in the rear. Thus a Vnose does nothing to decrease drag and in fact increases it.

If you read on different forums people claim Flat front and V fronts both tow better. However, i'm guessing more of their preference has to do more with how they loaded their trailers than which scientifically actually tows better.

I actually read those same things you brought up about the v-nose. Some say they pull easier and some complain about the way the cross winds hit that v and cause instability, so i dont know who to believe.

I'm with you, it's hard to know which is the actual truth. I couldn't find any scientific evidence or studies that back it up. But the fact that commercial airplanes have a wider fuselage in the front tends to make me believe it.

I've towed plenty of flat front trailers and I never felt like I was feeling any resistance, one was towed with a Ford Ranger for years. But i've never towed a V nose so I have nothing to compare it too. I've been shopping trailers and was originally planning on a V nose, but now think I'm going to go with a flat nose. I'll do some more research and see if I can find some concrete evidence.

Every Road Leads Home said:
I'm with you, it's hard to know which is the actual truth. I couldn't find any scientific evidence or studies that back it up. But the fact that commercial airplanes have a wider fuselage in the front tends to make me believe it.

I've towed plenty of flat front trailers and I never felt like I was feeling any resistance, one was towed with a Ford Ranger for years. But i've never towed a V nose so I have nothing to compare it too. I've been shopping trailers and was originally planning on a V nose, but now think I'm going to go with a flat nose. I'll do some more research and see if I can find some concrete evidence.

I wish someone made a more rounded front. I suppose a flat front with a nose cone would be ok, but i think those nose cone's are pretty pricey.

then there's the 'bull nose'
technically it's a v, but a very shallow one
img_2026_2.jpg

OK, you peeked my interest.  I did a search on aerodynamic studies on trailers.  Nothing on small trailers with flat or v-nose designs.  There is some research on semi tractor/trailers.  The biggest contributor to drag is frontal area, followed by rear turbulance, underbody turbulence, turbulence between cab and trailer, side projections, over roof turbulence.

This is how different aerodynamic improvements effect fuel comsumption:

Behind trailer fairing, reduces about 8%
Rounded fairing in front, ~7%
Under cab and trailer skirting, ~1% (cab), ~9% (trailer)
Aerodynamic mud flaps, ~3%
Aero mirrors, ~0.2%

If you are a glutton for punishment:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705813004621
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705814034675

The only argument I could make about a v-nose is that you never see a ship shaped like a brick  :p
IMO you would do better to put a cap on the pickup bed, preferably one that curves as high as the trailer.  The advantage of a flat front is that you have room to put your propane tank(s) and batteries up there.

-- Spiff

Spaceman Spiff said:
OK, you peeked my interest.  I did a search on aerodynamic studies on trailers.  Nothing on small trailers with flat or v-nose designs.  There is some research on semi tractor/trailers.  The biggest contributor to drag is frontal area, followed by rear turbulance, underbody turbulence, turbulence between cab and trailer, side projections, over roof turbulence.

This is how different aerodynamic improvements effect fuel comsumption:

Behind trailer fairing, reduces about 8%
Rounded fairing in front, ~7%
Under cab and trailer skirting, ~1% (cab), ~9% (trailer)
Aerodynamic mud flaps, ~3%
Aero mirrors, ~0.2%

If you are a glutton for punishment:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705813004621
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1877705814034675

The only argument I could make about a v-nose is that you never see a ship shaped like a brick  :p
IMO you would do better to put a cap on the pickup bed, preferably one that curves as high as the trailer.  The advantage of a flat front is that you have room to put your propane tank(s) and batteries up there.

-- Spiff

True that! There is never any wind tunnel tests on these v-nose trailers vs the flat front that im aware of. I am trying to maximize fuel efficiency in this particular setup, as i love this little diesel, when not towing i can get about 31 mpg highway and 27 with a mix of hwy and city driving. This rig will be our fulltime residence, and simplicity and efficiency is my goal.

I have a 6x12 V nose trailer that is my conversion trailer. I've towed it probably 15,000 miles. I also have a 7x16 flat nose cargo trailer that is my mobile tool shed. It's hard to compare apples to apples as one weighs about twice what the other weighs. And one is tandem axle while the other is single axle. Overall I don't notice much difference in felt drag. I don't notice much difference in how they handle when a semi passes either. However my tow vehicle is much bigger than yours. I have a crew cab diesel - former pickup was 3/4 ton single rear wheel and current one is a dually 1 ton. On both trucks I have a topper that is about the same height as the top of the trailers also. I wouldn't hesitate to tow my conversion trailer with your truck - it's right at 3500 lbs fully loaded for a trip with a 400 lb motorcycle inside also. I don't think I'd want to tow my other one with anything smaller than a 3/4 ton full size. While your truck is rated to tow it, it would be maxed out all the time and that is never a good driving experience or good for vehicle longevity. I think once you convert a larger trailer you're going to be much heavier than 4000 lbs. My 6x12 is actually plenty of room, even for 2 people, with the caveat that we don't live in it full time, so we don't have everything we own in it. We have done some fairly long trips, and working while on those trips. Sometimes it makes me wonder why we have so much stuff back at home.

masterplumber said:
I have a 6x12 V nose trailer that is my conversion trailer. I've towed it probably 15,000 miles. I also have a 7x16 flat nose cargo trailer that is my mobile tool shed. It's hard to compare apples to apples as one weighs about twice what the other weighs. And one is tandem axle while the other is single axle. 

I've found a few people on different forums that own two trailers that are identical except for one's flat and one's a V and they all differ on which they think tows better.

masterplumber said:
I have a 6x12 V nose trailer that is my conversion trailer. I've towed it probably 15,000 miles. I also have a 7x16 flat nose cargo trailer that is my mobile tool shed. It's hard to compare apples to apples as one weighs about twice what the other weighs. And one is tandem axle while the other is single axle. Overall I don't notice much difference in felt drag. I don't notice much difference in how they handle when a semi passes either. However my tow vehicle is much bigger than yours. I have a crew cab diesel - former pickup was 3/4 ton single rear wheel and current one is a dually 1 ton. On both trucks I have a topper that is about the same height as the top of the trailers also. I wouldn't hesitate to tow my conversion trailer with your truck - it's right at 3500 lbs fully loaded for a trip with a 400 lb motorcycle inside also. I don't think I'd want to tow my other one with anything smaller than a 3/4 ton full size. While your truck is rated to tow it, it would be maxed out all the time and that is never a good driving experience or good for vehicle longevity. I think once you convert a larger trailer you're going to be much heavier than 4000 lbs. My 6x12 is actually plenty of room, even for 2 people, with the caveat that we don't live in it full time, so we don't have everything we own in it. We have done some fairly long trips, and working while on those trips. Sometimes it makes me wonder why we have so much stuff back at home.

What truck and engine are you pulling the 7x16 with? I dont think i would even notice that 6x12 behind me LOL. Here is a  picture of  my little duramax pulling my 8X16 skidloader trailer with my trans mule in the back. The trailer weighs about 3,000 and the mule i would guess about 900 lbs. I could hardly tell it was back there while towing it at 65.  ;)
[font=verdana, geneva, lucida,] [/font][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]  [/font]

I think alot of people are not familiar with what this truck will do. Here is a pretty cool video of the canyon 2.8 diesel taking on the ike gauntlet in colorado, towing a horse trailer loaded with 5600lbs. This might give a better perspective on the trucks capabilities.
[video=youtube]

My truck is a Ram 3500 dually with the 6.7 Cummins. So neither trailer is really a big deal for it. But the 7x16 is pushing 7000 lbs loaded. Like I think I said above - your truck could tow it, but do you want to be maxed out all the time? My truck can tow 18,000 lbs, and I have no problem, but I wouldn't want to travel the country with that much weight. I've read some good things about the new Canyon with the little diesel. I think they're pretty cool, and wish more manufactures would bring their mid sized diesels to our shores. But it's not a 1 ton and I think it's best to have a little capacity left over. Now if you truly can keep a larger build to 4500 lbs that would be cool - more room to move around in when the weather is bad and you're stuck inside.

masterplumber said:
My truck is a Ram 3500 dually with the 6.7 Cummins. So neither trailer is really a big deal for it. But the 7x16 is pushing 7000 lbs loaded. Like I think I said above - your truck could tow it, but do you want to be maxed out all the time? My truck can tow 18,000 lbs, and I have no problem, but I wouldn't want to travel the country with that much weight. I've read some good things about the new Canyon with the little diesel. I think they're pretty cool, and wish more manufactures would bring their mid sized diesels to our shores. But it's not a 1 ton and I think it's best to have a little capacity left over. Now if you truly can keep a larger build to 4500 lbs that would be cool - more room to move around in when the weather is bad and you're stuck inside.

I agree with you, i want to keep the weight 30% under the 7600 lb. towing capacity, because like you said i dont want to be maxed out towing all the time. By the way that 6.7 cummins is a beast, thats what i had before to pull my 35' fifth wheel. I just didnt care for the shotty way the rv's are built, hence why i sold it. I am going in a different direction now, mainly like i said for simplicity and efficiency, and staying out of the rv parks, or as i like to call them, mobile subdivisions.