towels and clothes for vandwelling

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpdchief

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been run in the ground, but, Jeanne and I are in the build planning phase and are trying to figure out what is enough and yet not too much....
1. How many towels/ wash cloths do you folks take?  Jeanne thinks 4-6 towels
2. Jeans, shorts and shirts... I think pack light - wash often / as needed
Do you store these items in totes under the bed, use plastic organizer from walmart?? Maybe build upper storage on the side wall? Jackets and winter gear will go in a tote under the bed

for outer clothes and towels I like to think in three's. take pants for example I have one pair on, one pair in the dirty clothes, and one in reserve just in case. I like this system for all my outer clothes because you never know when you will get caught in a thunderstorm or have to crawl under your vehicle or have to chase that really big nugget in a mud hole. of course for socks and underwear I feel you can never have enough I like 10 to 14 pairs of those. highdesertranger

I own 4 pairs of jeans and a pair of kahki cargo type pants. 3 pairs of shorts. About 8 or 9 T-shirts. 4 Hooded sweatshirts, 3 long sleeve shirts, 8 or 9 pairs of boxers, few dozen pairs of socks, and two towels. That's in a sticks in bricks but when I'm on the road it's about what i'd carry for longer trips, I could thin it down a bit if necessary. Then I have all my outer gear.......windbreaker, down vest, down jacket, northface outershell to go over the down jacket or vest if required like winter hiking, pair of insulated and non insulated snow pants for snowboarding or hiking in winter, few pairs of specialty socks, and raingear (bibs and jacket) Footwear is a pair of hiking/running sneakers, hiking boots and tall rubber boots. I could easily fit it all in a few medium sized totes.

I've never been one for a huge closet of clothes that don't get worn. I wear stuff til it wears out then replace it.

Don't sweat it so much. Take the most you think you'll need, then get rid of what you end up not using. Or take the very minimum and buy additional stuff if it's needed. Because there are stores out here too. You're not heading out into the tundra or jungle or some war torn hell hole. It's just like the world you've been living in all your life, but in a smaller space that can travel around.

We packed the minimum we thought we would need. We recently visited my brother and he gave us about a dozen t-shirts. He used to promote races and had a lot of them. Now we have too many!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if you're planning to go full-time or not, but I'll tell you what I've been doing.  For the past few months I've been putting EVERYTHING I use in designated spaces.  When I wash a dish, it goes on a particular shelf.  When I do laundry, the clothes go into a specific dresser.  Every item in the kitchen, bathroom, and every room in the house got the same treatment.  

It didn't take long to separate the things I use from the things I don't.  The clothes that aren't favorites are still in the closet.  The extra dishes and utensils are still in the old cupboards.  And the extra towels/washcloths are still on the shelf.

The stuff that I actually use fits into a 3 drawer plastic dresser and 4 plastic totes.  Everything else I own is just fluff and will be dispersed to family/friends/Goodwill.   Meanwhile, I'm also gathering things specific to van life (batteries, camping gear, etc) and now I can see how much space I really need.  Once I have the van, it should be a simple matter of loading it up and driving away :)

I own 3 pairs of pants, 3 work shirts, 2 or 3 t shirts, and 3 sets of workout clothes, at least 8 pair of socks, motorcyclr jacket, regular jacket, rain gear, 3 each towels, didh towels, wash cloths, that's about it

I carried two towels when I was solo in the van. One to use while the other may be in the dirty clothes bag. The same still applies now that I travel as a couple (just two towels) as we just share a towel. But then, ask yourself, how many times will you be showering each week? It is not realistic to still be showering every day (you may if you are parked in a city... I'm not sure what your plans are), so your towel goes a lot longer between washes.

Also, each pair of jeans will last you a week or more before you need to wash. So why would you want to take up valuable space in your van carrying around months-worth of clothing? Save yourself the headache and trim your jeans down to those three or four favorite pairs. Shirts can be worn multiple days so no need to bring more than a dozen (or less). Since socks and undies take up so little space and changed on a daily basis, bring as many as you can. The amount of underwear will dictate how often you do laundry :)

Eventually I bet you will find that most of your clothes go unused. You have a small rotation that will continue to be your rotation and the rest are just taking up space. This includes your "winter gear". Unless you are forced to stay put all year-round, you probably will be moving to a location with warmer weather once the cold comes... and your winter clothing will never get used. My winter gear consists of a beanie hat, and a pair of gloves. All my other clothes can just be layered up (multiple shirts, then flannel shirt, then jacket, then rain jacket, and I am warm as heck) instead of carrying around weather-specific clothing.

Again, space it too valuable in a van to be "storing" anything when in a van. If it isn't being used DAILY... it doesn't belong in there (with a few exceptions of course)

Van-Tramp said:
But then, ask yourself, how many times will you be showering each week? It is not realistic to still be showering every day (you may if you are parked in a city... I'm not sure what your plans are), so your towel goes a lot longer between washes.
I don't/can't shower daily. I have one towel. I figure if my towel is still damp from the last time I used it, it's too soon to bathe again. (Or I'm in a place that's way too humid for the towel to dry and I should go elsewhere.) I also figure if I'm truly clean and well rinsed when I finish bathing, then the only thing on my towel is water. Water doesn't make my towel dirty. And "things" don't grow on my towel if I put it in the sun to dry.
Decades ago in my pre-nomad life I had a closet filled with big fluffy towels, all neatly folded and stacked. I used a fresh one each day, leaving me with a big pile of "dirty" towels to launder — two or three loads of just towels to wash and dry. What a drag. I got "lazy" and started using the same towel for several days. I discovered that was perfectly okay. So by the time I moved into the van I knew one towel would be sufficient.

We are close to ending our usual 4 month trek South for the winter.

What works for the two of us is hand towels instead of bath towels. We take a dozen and also use them to wipe up wet floors and other messes.

We also take 4 jeans and 4 shorts each, along with 5 long and short sleeved shirts each. We carry a couple of thermal undershirts and a full set of thermals each.

For jackets, we have rain resistant jackets with warm zip in liners that can be worn as rain jacket, fleece jacket, or warm windproof fleece lined jacket.

We take 8 sets of underwear and socks and do laundry weekly.

This has worked out to be the best system for us over the past several years in our little 17 foot trailer.

Hope this helps someone with the less is more approach. :)

Ever wonder why humans are the only species on earth that require clothes? I sure do envy my dog sometimes, one fur coat and he's ready to handle anything nature throws at him.

Four long pants (not jeans, too uncomfortable), 3-4 "capris" (older ladies don't wear shorts), 2 long sleeve shirts, 4-6 short sleeve shirts. Unlimited underwear and socks. Two comfortable pairs of shoes, lightweight jacket, warm jacket (depending on season).  1 each hat and gloves. Two bath towels, unlimited wash cloths (can be used for washing and drying dishes, other cleaning, hand drying, etc.)  If not in a hot area where you have to sweat, you can get more mileage out of clothes before washing them, except for underwear. Ditto towels and bed linens.

We have to wear clothes? Who knew!?   hahaha    Mine are going to go into slimmer plastic see through containers up in ventilated shelving baskets....  I divvied up my clothes from what I hadn't yet given away, reasonable but nice I hope (I don't want just jeans and tees folks)...  and I've been wearing only those since returning from the RTR...with a few modifications.

I have back issues so wearing jeans is a godsend for me (better support than elastic waist etc) ...and they do last at least 2 days of normal wear (less if you wipe your hands upon your slacks---get out of that habit!)  

Fabreze or other such products, if you can stand them, can freshen up mildly stale worn clothing.  

My mom used to hang any blouse she wore for a few hours (like to church) inside out on the hangar in the closet...and it aired out and was ready to wear one more time before wash.

think out of the box; realize the "standards" you are living by are not necessary; make your own rules for hygiene and comfort and you'll be happier

As for "linens"... I'm planning on one dish towel (thinner, no lint type); one bath size cotton towel for me, my dog's fibercloth towel and mitt; and my indian towel (curved wooden stick that dries better and faster than any cloth towel!) and several rail thin washcloths.   I will have one bottom sheet and two top sheets, and pillow cases for two pillows....  a summer blanket and two afghans my mom made (one for the loveseat cover and one for bed "cover")  Wool blankets for winter etc.  IDK yet if I will want a seasonal storage room to swap out blankets and coats/swimsuits ;)

Resist the urge to stress out about decisions you make now. You can always ditch or replace after you're on the road.

I tend to go for clothes that are comfortable enough to wear to bed. Instead of jackets I have two hoodies, one lightweight and water resistant, one heavily insulated and soft. I can wear one or both to bed on cold nights. Same with pants, other than my "dress" jeans and work pants I just have a pair of thick sweat pants and a few cargo shorts/pants because they can be worn anywhere.

I do have a lot of underwear, that way I never run out and don't have to keep anything that's getting worn out.

Washcloths are very handy - I use them instead of napkins and tissues. I buy the 18 packs and toss them if they get gross.

Every Road Leads Home said:
Ever wonder why humans are the only species on earth that require clothes?  I sure do envy my dog sometimes, one fur coat and he's ready to handle anything nature throws at him.

Apparently my former neighbor didn't think so...he always walked around naked, even when it was 10* outside. I'm just thankful there were lots of leafy trees between me and him!!!

As for what clothes I carry...way too many.

I'm not vanning yet but I do travel a lot in a Prius so space is at a premium. I go to thrift shops wherever it is I stop to get what's needed. Case in point, it was colder up here than I thought (BC) and I didn't have the jacket that I presumed that I had left up here, so off I went to the thrift store (MCC).
$20 Cdn (that's about $16 US) bought me a jacket, 2 plaid shirts and a beanie. All nearly new... If I dont want to take them back south, I will redonate them...

How long do you intend to be out in the boondocks at one time? Let that be your guide. If you intend to park right outside town (on the river outside Ehrenberg, AZ, for example), you can do laundry more frequently. If you're planning on spending your allotted two weeks waaaaay out in the sticks, you'll probably want to carry more, to avoid otherwise unnecessary runs into town.

Sunny is right: use hand towels rather than bath towel -- the chances are good that you're just not going to get that wet. Lots of underwear is good. If you find you're carrying too much, put out a sign if you're around other campers.

I mostly travel in a moderate climate and that shapes some of my decisions on clothes. Basically stick to the rule of threes; one on, one dry, washed and ready, and one drying. One summer weight sleeping bag and one high quality down bag. I might not shower every day, sponge baths in between so four set of undies and socks, just in case. Hand washing and drying socks and undies has never been a problem activity.

Towels? three good quality items, cut into two, is all I have. Pretty easy to hand wash and a smaller size is easier to hang for drying. I often use the dry towels to bulk out a pillow case as a way of getting two uses out of one item. I do add a dash of Eucalyptus oil to my final towel wash and I find the vague scent on the towels pleasant as the head goes down on a pillow.

We use the thinner camping towels-don't buy them there, but REI calls them "multi towels". Regular towels are just too bulky. They also take too long to dry.

The most useful towel analogues though, are lightweight rayon sarongs. Towel, beach cover, night gown. They replace several items of clothing. Even my hubby uses them wrapped around his waist. I always take two wherever I go in the world. If I have a long layover in an airport, it's either sit in a chair or on a filthy floor. With the sarongs, I can put one on the floor, lay down on it and use the second as a top sheet. I've spent many an hour sleeping fairly comfortably in airports (with the help of my tiny Japanese buckwheat hull pillows that I carry with me) while everyone else is sitting up miserably, hour after hour.

Never sit when you can lay down.

I have a question for those of you who dwell in the desert during winter.

I know I have too many jackets, but I don't know how many to take and what kind. I have the following:
Patagonia Nano Puff vest
The North Face Thermoball jacket
Patagonia Better Sweater jacket, hoodie, and vest
Columbia basic 2.5 layer rain jacket.

I'm so used to being in damp cold all of the time, I'm obsessive about having layers of winter jackets. I know the desert gets cold, but daytime it's pretty mild during winter. But, after acclimating to 80-90 degrees, then 60 degrees can feel downright Arctic.

Which jackets should I take?

Latest posts