Tom Sawyer, Huckleberry Finn Fans?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballenxj

Reaction score
Yes, these books were written by Samuel Clemens, more famously known as Mark Twain.
 I originally read these books at somewhere around the age of twelve, and these writings instilled the need for adventure and travel.
Anybody else out there that have read and enjoyed these books?

Those books definitely helped instill a sense of travel and adventure in me at an early age. Between books like those and my Dad taking me hiking and camping every chance we got, adventure was written into my DNA at a very young age.

Hatchet and Rascal were a few of my other favorite childhood books.

a3b7aaf649ea3d3978f05b89e2e40825.jpg

Who me? You talking about me? I can't remember EVER not wanting to get away and explore! Twain just added fuel to the fire.

As soon as my niece gets back from Mexico I'm gone again. I don't know where to but I'm going!

I tried to read Huckleberry Finn, but could never get through it. I guess it's the writing style, vernacular. Then one day I started again, and finished! Now on to Tom Sawyer some day.

The romantic side of me envisions van life like Huck and Jim, lazily floating along a river, with just the minimum on their raft. Me, just lazily meandering along some big, open land.

I tried to read Life on the Mississippi and Roughing it, but couldn't get through them. I get so distracted when I have so many books on my Kindle. I'll have to read both books again when I'm on the road.

Didn't every kid dream about riding a raft down the Mississippi? What really started my dreams of travel to far off places was "The Call of the Wild" by Jack London and my uncle's tales about working on the Alaska Highway in the 40's.

"The Call of the Wild" yes! Jack London is in my DNA, love his Klondike stories. There's also a really good book by him called "The Road." It's about his hobo days. Really fascinating narrative about life as an old-time hobo.

I've been slowly reading through American classics. I'm sure there are different opinions on what should be included but this looks iike a good list  - https://www.perfectionlearning.com/top-100-american-literature-titles.  The books cover history pretty well (even though most are novels) which makes visiting the areas mentioned much more interesting.

I finally got to Huckleberry Finn a few years ago and enjoyed reading it. We  also visited the Mark Twain site that Cammalu posted and knowing about Tom's and Huck's adventures beforehand was cool.

So anyway Mark Twain's book didn't influence me because I hadn't read them as a kid but I did read several about the Oregon Trail which seemed like the greatest adventure of all time. Those definitely influenced me.  We have to stop at every Oregon Trail museum even though we now know the story from every angle. :-D

Loved 'em, and quotes credited to Twain, reading those as a kid probably led me to read books like Shanty boat by Harlen Hubbard, and do some of the stuff I do.

The past few years I have become so frustrated in finding good reads. So in desperation, I decided to reread the classics I loved as a child: Hemingway, Sinclair Lewis, Upton Sinclair, Pearl Buck and others. Growing up, my mom made sure we spent time every summer at the library and I remember in grade school seeing those authors in her bookshelves at home. Yep, Twain was there, too. And Kon Tiki was one of my favorites -- now THAT was traveling!

And the complete stories of Sherlock Holmes and Hercule Poirot.

Which reminds me, my ereader is recharged -- gotta go!

Love Mark Twain! Have you read 1601, by Mark Twain? I went to Hanible, Missori and took the delightful trolley ride around his town. Ate at the Becky Thatcher Diner, and saw where the caves are. Just below the town is "lovers leap" and a great view of the Mississipi. I followed the road that was next to that great river until I came to a "lock" where barges go into the lock and they raise the level of the water to let the ships go up stream. The boys working for the Core of Engineers let me come in and watch how it is done. And before I knew it, I was in the control towers controlling the gates to the mighty Mississipi River!!!!
Yes I love Mark Twain!