Today I installed a roof vent.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoulRaven

Reaction score
Today I installed a roof vent. Spring is here is SW Florida for it’s now 81 degrees at noon. A few months ago I bought a roof vent via Amazon and had it shipped to my friends house in SW Florida.

I borrowed his power tools this morning and did some cutting and used an entire tube of silicone chalk in the process. The only real spot I could install the vent of my 42” high camper cap was on the rear of the cap while I stood on the tailgate.

Rain is in the forecast for the middle of the week as I move 165 miles north to Lake Pan. The vent is located in a position where there is nothing underneath the vent if there happens to be some leakage.

In all my other snowbird expeditions I have never made it past March 1st in SW Florida. Once it gets about two months removed from the winter solstice the sun gets too strong for my delicate sensibilities and it’s time to start to fly north.

The average high temperature for the month on July in the Pocono’s where my 35-foot park model sits is about 76 degrees. Some July mornings it’s below 45 degrees and you can see the water vapor from your breath.

0222151228a[1].jpg

Attachments

• 0222151228a[1].jpg
    0222151228a[1].jpg
    442.1 KB
I was looking at fantastic vents on Amazon looks like there's 500 different model numbers. Does anyone know what's better about the newer models that came out like are they quieter or what?

From what I can tell the fans simply get more expensive as you add options like rain sensor, thermostat, electric opener, switch to reverse fan diection, etc. Also the clear cover might cost a few extra bucks.

The fan itself is the same in all models.

Personally I'm going to give the Maxxair product with built-in rain cover a shot for my next build.

A thermostat on the fan is a good option.  When it cools off in the middle of the night, the fan stops on its own.  You don't have to wake up to turn it off or on because you are too hot or cold.  No need to run down the batteries more than needed.

I started with a Fantastic Fan shell. I cut some luan plywood for a cover, and put in a 1200 cm computer fan and a rheostat. I ran the wire over to a switch on my power wall. Now while sitting in my seat, I can use my walking stick to turn it on and off. Total cost about $40.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HKFAIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Using this will give you the capability to adjust the speed, but you will need a separate shut off.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007B856YY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the cost of one unit at an electronics store. Package of 12.

I'm going to have to agree with Off-Grid, I've never had a powered fan in any of my rigs because I'm a snowbird and heat isn't an issue. I'm never in more than the very low 90s before I move and then I have shade cloth out over the rig to cool it off--which works very well.

Instead I carry a Roadpro 12 volt fan (same as Walmarts O2 Cool fan) and Endless Breeze 12 volt fan. At 7000 feet and above they are all you could need.

I've never regretted not having a roof powered vent, but like I said, I'm a snowbird.
Bob

i have the manual crank, 3 speeder. But it does have the in and out button, which i would strongly suggest especially if you are in cargo van cooking and have no other dedicated exhaust vent. Just have to clean it now and again, which you have to do anyway thanks to the bug puree these high powered suckers make.
It does have a flaw tho in the design causing the lid to flap in strong winds, very loud and annoying. they sell rain covers, i think maxxair has one that will fit it.

I already installed a 1250 model on my cargo but getting one for a friend so I was wondering. The roof vent is amazing it's like having a window!