To restore or buy newer?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thadr8r

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I joined here to help get some ideas and see the options and other great ideas that everyone has shared over the past years.  We have a 1979 coachman leprechaun that has been working well for us in our local travels and a few long hauls to bike race events in the southwest.  The leper has its problems but everything works and it seems to run fine with a few minor issues at 30K on a rebuilt engine and transmission and 60K total on the old rig.

The overhaul of the rig to update can either be short term and prepare to buy a newer model and possibly move to truck and trailer, or long term and use this old rig for some long term living... Yes we (wife and I) are new empty nesters and looking to drop out of the rat race in 3 years and join the ever increasing numbers of camper worker/retirees. :D

I am usually emotoconless, but will use them since it is so easy to click on them... ;) sorry!

Well that is thadr8r in a shell, ready to plan a drop out and quit the J. O. B. to enjoy life a bit more and see the USA, and maybe Canada and beyond...
thadr8r

Welcome to the CRVL forums thadr8r! A classic leprechaun! Do you have an photos? Since everything works and you like traveling in it why not keep it, fix any annoying problems and see how you feel in 3 years? Hope to see you on the road soon!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to CRVL   :) 

Yes I know the Lep's fairly well in that vintage.  They were quite popular here and Coachman in general.
(did you get a Pete the Pup stuffed animal with it ?)

Curious with 60K overall and you've needed a rebuild of the Motor/Tranny ?  What kind of service did it
get in it's early years ?

I knew an owner who put an aux oil cooler and transmission cooler on his Lep.  He got it with about 15K
miles on it and is still operating it in original condition.  His is about an 83 model.

It's a good vintage as you didn't have all the computerization.  

I'm figuring what you have looks something like this

[img=662x440]http://www.onlinervusa.com/images/972_0956jtNh9lU5jk4u.JPG[/img]

As you read the Forum you'll probably notice people talking about a "2.2.2 System" for their travels.

This means that you hit the road in the morning probably after the heaver traffic hours and travel and sight see through the mid morning with about 2 hours of total driving. (between 8am and 2pm)   This could allow for 3 hours or so of visiting sites and leisurely museum visits or whatever.  Then by 2 in the afternoon,  be finding a place for the night where you can get a choice spot. (being there early).   Then you have a total of 2 days to camp and enjoy any of the Park's events.  Boating & fishing on the lake, (if there is one) Hiking the nature trails, attending amphitheater productions or historic lectures there if the Park has those etc.  This allows for time to use the Parks washing machines to get laundry done and to tidy up the RV for the next leg of the journey.  (and rest up before setting out again)   Parks often have Seniors days from Sunday Afternoon
check in until Friday Morning check out.   (week ends for young families & kids)

This allows for travel & touring in a less stressed manner without a lot of load on the RV's drive train. 

On the week ends you may stay in the less developed State Parks where the Seniors tend to gather on week ends.  (you won't have all the hustle and bustle of kids riding mini bikes through the place until the late evening hours,  kids making lots of noise,  cars driving back and forth sight seeing the RV's in the week end Park manner.

The lower link at the bottom may be of interest to you as it contains a lot of useful information for those on the road or sitting in a camp planning the next leg of the journey.  I think you'll find it handy.

After ten years parts become more sparse to get new, so you might end up iterating through junk yard parts.
So one idea might be to buy a stealth vehicle new now to part time build its interior in the next three years.
In this way you get everything exactly the way you want it and know how to fix everything.
But most of all you will be under warranty for a while to roam carefree.