Tilting solar

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
I watched this video for Kargo Master drop-down ladder rack and first thing I thought was how that could be adapted into a really slick adjustable solar mounting   :)

Rather expensive way to go...they go for almost $600.
It would block our barn doors, as we park facing east mostly and set an awning on the side of the van facing south. So that unit would not work for us at all.

I got a heavy duty (overkilled) ladder rack...
www.amazon.com/Pro--HTVANRK-lbs-Capacity-Multi-Use/dp/B0014DGZ88/ref=sr_1_1?srs=2530232011&ie=UTF8&qid=1447948378&sr=8-1&keywords=Ladder+rack+van
Using 2 lengths of metal angle running front to back to hold the panels. My plan is to use a couple more angles holding 4 panels that will tilt on hinges with arms holding them in position when elevated.

Since this project is being done month by month on a budget, its taking a little time, but thus far, all our needs are being met.
The end result is to power a 12V fridge and being able to make it thru a few bad weather days with no strain.

I can't think of another system this sturdy and easy to use that would be cheaper.

The cargo van I bought came with a drop down ladder rack. I thought it would be great for mounting the solar panel. Then I studied the rack and got thinking about how to actually do it. I'd need to fabricate something to solidly mount the panel to the rack, since it's wider than a ladder. I'd need to route the cables so they didn't tangle or pinch. In the end, the drop down rack went to the scrap yard.

Overkill! Hundreds of dollars to tilt your panels?

Go to Home Despot, get some aluminum angle, stainless steel bolts and nuts, nylon washers (for hinge point), and some flat aluminum bar.

Then copy this kit:

sps_tilt_kit_1.jpg

Attachments

• sps_tilt_kit_1.jpg
    sps_tilt_kit_1.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 14
How much tilt is necessary to show a significant power gain? I drew up a 2-axis mount that could allow the panels to be tilted in both side-to-side and front-to-back directions (to accommodate times when choices in parking orientation are limited.) Basically the simple tilt frame johnny illustrated, mounted inside a larger frame hinged at 90-degrees to the inner one. No problem for a single panel, but trickier for multiple-panel arrays... a steep angle on a long array would require one end to be raised pretty high, which would be a problem stability-wise. Shallow angle not so much problem. Am I making sense here? I see it perfectly clear in my own mind lol...

Optimum tilt depends on both your latitude and the time of year. Most tilt setups are a fixed 30 to 45 degrees.

I have somewhere a chart that shows tilt angles by latitude and month of the year. unfortunately I cannot find it right now, but the info is out there. highdesertranger

hi,
A pretty good year round tilt is just to use your local latitude for the tilt.

If you want to favor winter collection, use your latitude plus 15 degrees.
If you want to favor summer times, use a tilt of your latitude minus 15 degrees.
But, for summer flat works quite well.

eg if you live in Bozeman, MT, use its latitude of 46 degs for your panel tilt for best total year round fixed tilt output.
If you want to favor winter collection (maybe because its so bad), use 46+15 = 61 degs.
If you want to favor summer collection, then use 46 - 16 = 31 degs -- or just use flat.

You don't have to get the tilt just right as the optimum does not change very fast.

Gary

It's not clear to me whether you are talking about tilting portable panels that are set on the ground, or tilting vehicle roof mounted panels.

If the former, I'd probably just design it for 45 degrees and call it close enough for government work.

If the later, you need to be aware that solar panels have been ripped right off of RV roofs when a sudden wind comes up and catches them just right.  Personally, I wouldn't do it.

Regards
John