Throwing Stuff Away

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Dec., when I decided to leave my home, I sold almost everything right out the front door. Friends and family couldn't believe that I could part with stuff like that, but I was tired of baggage and it was time. I did get a small storage unit to house the stuff I couldn't part with, mostly keepsakes from my parents who are both deceased and items that belong to my children from their childhood. Once I get into my new living situation, that storage bill is going out of the window too. I took baby steps, one thing at a time until all of my baggage and clutter is gone. Thanks for this thread. It does show me that I am not alone in this process and not crazy as those that don't agree with my decisions believe.

dragonflyinthesky said:
@Louis, your shed is beautiful.
I'm giving a lovely Japanese Maple tree to my daughter's mother in law Carol. My kids bought it for me for Mother's Day when I moved into this house. Funny the things we care about. If I die none of it will matter.

Thank you dragonglyinthesky, too bad I haven't been able to sell it. Talking about beautiful maple trees, I have this one I planted that I've been enable to sell;
acef9f1a74cfc4912b79c05811dd3699.jpg

One thing that my sister said helped me in thinking about holding on to "things" that we loved but never really used. She said they will have a new home with other people who will love them and will be the start of new traditions with new families. That made me smile :)

Put peicesof tape with dates on everything. If you haven't used it in a year, you never will.
Give family heirlooms to family. Being in storage isn't going to do them any good.
Don't keep decor clutter. Your tastes will have changed if and when you leave the road.
Take pictures of things that have emotional (but not practical) value to you and get rid of the actual things.
Scan your pics into your computer and get rid of them. You'll never look at them, but likely you didn't before.
Only keep clothing that fits, no "aspirational" stuff taking up space. That 40 lbs. isn't going anywhere.
Touch things only once. No "maybe" piles. Decisions don't get easier, later. They don't get made at all.

Look at every item you are tempted to store and ask if this item is really worth a year's fees? Is it worth maybe not going at all if the storage fees eat into your budget? Is it worth the weight on your mind of worrying about mildew, drying wood joints, fire, flood, weather, theft, whatever?

How much would you have in the bank at the end of X years to buy new stuff that will fit your life better if you saved what the storage bin would have cost?

I'm earlier along on the "getting rid of stuff" journey.

My first major eye opener was when I realized that my "stuff" was fast becoming the only obstacle preventing me from fleeing an abusive dynamic. I began throwing things away, sneaking out loads to donate and other loads to a 5'X5' storage unit, leaving behind only items I strongly preferred to keep but wouldn't terribly mind if something 'happened' to them (an odd category, to be sure, but one I felt I needed for that time).

Once I got established in my van, I downsized to a 3'X5' and naturally became less choosey about where "stuff" went. That leather jacket with loads of sentimentality to me that I wanted to personally give to some cold homeless person...or at least to a drop-in center where I got some clothes myself for free...eventually found its way into a random clothing donation collection bin on the side of the road. That took a lot of emotional checks to make certain that I really wanted to do it. I simply didn't have room for it. I still feel emotion when I think about it, but not an ounce of regret. It was the right decision, I had - and have - higher priorities and it was cluttering up my life and my mind.

Many things I used to save for donating, I now just toss. Many things I used to save to sell, I now donate. It's like the opposite of "leveling up" in that my riddance of stuff "levels downwards" by letting go of it more freely, more quickly.

I honestly find that for myself this is a really organic process, and others' minimalist "rules" tend to strike me as too harsh for me personally, at least right now. 'Maybe' piles do get easier for me over time. "Why the hell was I hanging onto this??" can and does come up when I'm sorting through maybe bins. Or "Hey I've been looking all over for that" also happens. When an item begins to drive me crazy from remaining in perpetual "maybe-land" then I begin throwing various techniques at it until the matter is settled in my mind, through logical reasoning to sentimental empathy to psycho-analyzing myself to figure out why I'm having problems with this at all.

I do find it becomes easier over time, and the stuff whittles down smaller all the time and I gain momentum as I go. But being minimalist was never my goal. I simply wanted life to work, and for me too much stuff very quickly impedes that. Many of my dreams in life involve lots of "stuff", and I'm not ashamed of that. But life isn't in the stuff, it's inside of US, and whenever that life is getting suffocated it's time to do some pruning order to breathe free. :)

I don't know if I'll ever give up my storage unit, if I do I'm sure it will be when the time is right for me to do so. I'm comfortable with my "stuff quota" expanding in whichever direction happens to benefit my life at the time, but in the forseeable future all I see is wanting to shrink my "stuff footprint" down much smaller.

The happiest time of my life was when I was discharged from the army and could put everything I owned in 2 duffle bags. My options in life were not limited by "things."

I'm still working on getting rid of things, and have resolved that if I can't sell them, I will give them away. The goal is to be free of the possessory hold that "things" put on your life.

It's tough getting rid of tools, but I will !

Kids are gone. Dry camping in peace and quiet. Going thru our stuff. There's a thrift shop a few miles away.

The two sleeping bags can go, and 3 souvenir blankets. Of all the things to collect, blankets! Is there anything else that would take up that much space? Two sets of twin sheets. Dog booties ( He won't wear them). Two bath sheets. Maybe two memory foam pillows. Those things are hot. The thrift shop will be happy.

Sometimes it takes a little time to come to terms with it and let it go.
Once you let it go, it is therapeutic and freeing.
Later you may see an item that looked like yours. You stop a minute and wonder about how you are coming to terms with letting that item go...or if you SHOULD have!
Or sometimes you see an even better item like yours, and you wonder how THAT person could have let it go when yours was one third the quality.
Just remember your vision and how that item doesn't fit into your life anymore.
You are one compact unit. You are free. You are mobile.
Every time you grieve again for that item, remember: it had a life. It was useful. It is o.k. to now to throw it away.
You CAN do this! There are people who live in New York City that rent 300 square foot apartments. A van is 257 square feet. A minivan is 170 square feet.
All those things that you saved for that special day or event, or the rainy day..
..It's raining!

I guess I'm a little different. For starters, early in our marriage, David & I lost a house and most of our possessions to a fire. That was very liberating. After that, stuff was not all that important. Our tools were important as that was how we earned a living. I had a few things stored elsewhere when the house burned so I still have my leather bound books and a kerosine Aladdin lamp (put into storage because my babies would not leave them alone) and my cedar chest David made me for a wedding present. Those things made it into the bus conversion. I also have the second bed we ever bought in the bus. My gas range, a painting and a lithograph, a clock my Dad bought while stationed in Germany and gave to me, a few things we acquired that we knew was going to end up in the bus conversion.

The bus was designed to hold these things. It made it more "homey". I am very glad that I could keep the cedar chest David made me for a wedding present because I no longer have David. I store the winter clothes in it (and David's winter coat that I tend to wear when it's really cold). It's beautiful, useful and I remember David creating it every time I look at it.

Don't apologize because you hold onto some things. Don't apologize because you don't. It's really no one's business and it's most certainly not a contest as to who can get rid of the most. If you need to keep things in a storage unit, then do so. That is up to you and no one else. I do think you need to have your storage unit in a location where you can visit it every so often to make sure everything is okay.

Over the years, we rented storage units several times due to moving. The last time we divested ourselves of a house, we ended up renting two 10X20 units and a 10X10 unit. But we were also junking (buying/selling) heavily at the same time. And making a profit over and above our costs of buying/selling and rent on the storage units as well as site rent at the flea markets. Over a three year time frame we thinned our personal possessions down to a 5X10 storage unit (with room to spare) and sold off all our flea market stock (not too shabby when you take into account that David had bought the contents of a large thrift store in an auction during that time too).

It's not that you own possessions. It's that the possessions don't own you. That is what you need to get to. If you feel that divesting yourself of possessions is a virtue, then all that means is possessions still have a hold on you. When you get to the point of it doesn't matter if you have or don't have stuff, then possessions no longer control you. It is very liberating. But like forgiving someone something, it is a personal and private thing. Has nothing to do with outward appearances only inward mental state. You can reach that state and still have possessions. Even a fair amount of possessions. It's all about your attitude towards "stuff".

You need to contact a landscaping/nursery company to sell the thing. You can't just sell the really big ones to just anyone. Bigger cities are your best chance.

For me, throwing something away is a LAST RESORT, people throw away too much good stuff in America. A bric-a-brac doesn't have purpose inside a landfill, donate it!

66788 said:
I'm still working on getting rid of things, and have resolved that if I can't sell them, I will give them away.  The goal is to be free of the possessory hold that "things" put on your life.

It's tough getting rid of tools, but I will !

How do you get rid of tools that nobody wants to buy?  I don't have a ton of tools, but I've got more than I need or ever use.  
Back when I was building and/or repairing old cars and motorcycles (just for fun, not a business), I needed a ton of hand tools, but now if my van needs more than an oil change or brakes, I take it to a shop, so I don't need 60lbs of tools.   :-/

Many years ago I sold several air tools, and that was easy, but how do you sell smaller, obscure, misc. items like files, saws, loose sockets or wood chisels?  
And if you can't sell them, who can you donate them to?  I've never seen hand tools, not serious ones at least, on the shelves of my local thrift store.  

Using my tried and true system of placing things in boxes and seeing if I use them, or even look at them, after they've been sitting for several months, I took 6 boxes of stuff to the local thrift store.  That felt really good at the time, but looking around my apartment now I can't see any difference in the clutter at all.   :(

Try offering them to a Habitat for Humanity store. They draw a bigger DIY crowd that's in to home repair and renos. Most people wouldn't even think to look at a thrift shop for hand tools.

About the only way to sell them would be at a yard sale or if you've enough stuff, try renting a booth at a local flea market.

Tools are the first thing to sell in a yard sale.   :D

I wish I could have a garage/yard sale, but I live in an apartment with no easy access to the street. I'm also in a neighborhood that slightly less than charming, so I'm not sure I want the "locals" knowing my unit is full of tools. :/

I don't know about your neighbourhood but all over the area here there are communal yard sales where several families band together to hold a sale.

Ask your friends who live in a better neighborhood if you can either host one at their place or share one that they have.

Or just talk to the closest flea market about renting a booth either just for a single event or for a month.

Where there's a will there's a way!

There is also the scourge of modern man - pawn shops.

I regularly picked up seldom needed tools there for the cheap.  They probably won't want to give you much for them though or pay by the pound.  Just an alternative.

You might try selling non-powered tools on eBay. Wider range of buyers.

ME:  2005:
20 years worth of belongings, home school stuff, home business stuff... stuff stuff. :)  When I said to a friend "I wish I could just pack up what I want to keep, and find somebody to take all the rest and sell it on Ebay".  She said "I will".  I was like??? REALLY??.. Okay. .YEAH!!

THEN... again in 2013:
Decided to downsize from my 2400 sq. ft. real estate soulmate, rent it out, and move to my rv on a little property and build my forever 'granny cabin'.  What did I do?
Called a professional! :)  I had a Living Estate Sale!

GOD I hate going thru STUFF!  :):)

Neither time did I miss anything.  Both times it was so FREE-ING. :):)

NOW:  Getting close to the cabin building part.  Gonna start downsizing AGAIN, but this time, I think I can do it myself.  WHY?  I don't have much. :):)

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It's Great!:):)  (AND.. Yes.. I have PICTURES of my awesome furniture I used to have.  Get a camera, flash drive, and computer.)