Thought I had.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AutonomyCrusader

Reaction score
Greetings all,

The wife and I live in PA and own some land and it got me thinking.  I see that there are plots all over the US for under 10K. If we were to buy some of these plots would any dwellers be interested in sleeping in the lots.  You know do some basic work around the plot and have a free place to camp for a while.  What we really want to do, is use any money we make from youtube or working on the road to put these land plots into our LLC so all van dwellers never have to worry about a place to stay if they are in the area. Couple questions though, how would we screen people? And is a fee normally collected? We really don't know.  I know we will have a plot in Nevada by the summer of 2021 and I saw a couple in West Virginia and Tennessee that I may pick up as well.  Any one have any thoughts or input?

If you want to make a camping site (business) out of your plot, you have to be licensed and have insurance, and possibly provide power, water, dumping, etc.
Not all cities/counties allow rvs and vans parked in a lot.

Nomads can park in public lands for free, and no work is required. If they want to pay fees, they will pay for amenities in camping sites.

^^Good points above.

As you know, what you can do on land will depend on the laws, state AND local (including zoning), specific to that land.

You should be able to find the laws online. As a way to ask questions, get answers, and get a feel for any area, I suggest that if you haven't already, you look at the forums at city-data.com. There are forums for each state and sub-forums for cities and areas inside each state.

I'm in Colorado, and you wouldn't believe how many people from far away buy a lot out in the middle of nowhere in some areas of this state, thinking they can just plop down on it with an RV or trailer. With no thought about land use laws including zoning. Another issue out here is that this is an extremely arid climate, you can't assume you will have access to water on any lot you own, and water rights are a big deal, with laws that may surprise you. For instance, did you know that until 2016, it was illegal in Colorado for homeowners to use barrels to capture rainwater runoff from their roofs? Yep. And now that it's legal it's limited to 110 gallons a year and two barrels. 

The idea of a welcome spot for nomads to stay is nice. But as noted, if there's a choice between free camping and having to work for a camp spot, it's a no-brainer that "free" will win.

You would be opening yourself up to a whole new can of worms. Not all nomads are trustworthy caretakers of property that doesn't belong to them. Squatters, litter, injury lawsuits, making timely payments, evictions ?

Or you can just contribute to HOWA which is an already an established non profit that is working to establish more sites that are legal for nomads to come and stay on for a while.

I could not have said this better myself +
(You would be opening yourself up to a whole new can of worms. Not all nomads are trustworthy caretakers of property that doesn't belong to them. Squatters, litter, injury lawsuits, making timely payments, evictions) ?

I maybe wrong but I thought they have a airB&B for camping on your land like they do for lodging ?
also I think they already several services like boondockers welcome that you can become a member offering your land.
I have 30 acres that i have a spot for my RV that has 50 amp service water and septic that I have considered finding traveling renters ( not local) that I could rent the space when I am away traveling but for the reasons listed above I have been not looked any farther into it but I think if I did I would rather go through something that is already established in case it turns into a problem.

AC, this idea has come up in the past, and there are other threads about it, if you do a forum search.

In line with others have alluded to, one major problem with owning multiple plots around the country is that they will attract more or less permanent squatters if no one is there to supervise the places. If you had 10 places, you would need 10 full-time caretakers. PITN.

jwhite said:
I maybe wrong but I thought they have a airB&B for camping on your land like they do for lodging ?
also I think they already several services like boondockers welcome that you can become a member offering your land.

One such site is hipcamp.com - I have it bookmarked and browse around it now and then. Some interesting options and quite a variety of choices, from glamping to pretty much boondocking.

jwhite said:
I could not have said this better myself + 
(You would be opening yourself up to a whole new can of worms. Not all nomads are trustworthy caretakers of property that doesn't belong to them. Squatters, litter, injury lawsuits, making timely payments, evictions) ?

I have 30 acres that i have a spot for my RV that has 50 amp service water and septic that I have considered finding traveling renters ( not local) that I could rent the space when I am away traveling but for the reasons listed above I have been not looked any farther into it but I think if I did I would rather go through something that is already established in case it turns into a problem.

I know of two - HipCmp and Boondockers Welcome.

You might find more info regarding insurance, etc., there.

You will note on HipCamp especially that the target seems to be people who want really private camping on their days off, rather than full-time nomads.

AutonomyCrusader said:
Greetings all,
Any one have any thoughts or input?
I love the idea and have thought about it myself. Fifty acres in Texas somewhere and put some improvements on it;  power, water well,  septic system and community shower, etc.  Everybody pitch in $50 a month for maintenance. Pick up shopping list  stuff for others when your in town, etc. etc. You get to visit and live with lots of good hearted people and then here comes that night mare person.

You can’t live in a non-permanent structure in any county in California. You can’t even live in a yurt if it’s not permanent (ie the tent kind I love) It can be a round house but no yurts, tents, vehicles etc Lots and lots of laws and regulations. Makes you feel you don’t own the land, what’s the point?

Latest posts