They run this country?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotSmart

Reaction score
I am without words~~~
http://mashable.com/2015/12/14/town...ance+(Mashable!+Francais)#7ECtUxVReuqR[/SIZE]

[size=small][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The good people of Woodland, North Carolina are not 100% convinced by these solar panel thingamabobs, to put it lightly.
[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]On Tuesday, the Woodland Town Council voted to reject a rezoning application that would allow a solar farm to be built by Strata Solar Company, the Roanoke-Chowan News-Herald reported. It also put a moratorium on all solar development.[/font]
[/font]

[size=small][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The council had previously ruled in favor of three other solar farms that are yet to be completed, but suspicious locals put the kibosh on the latest application.
[/font]
[/size][/font][/size]

[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Retired science teacher Jane Mann told the publication she was concerned the panels would prevent photosynthesis from occurring, keeping plants, which rely on the chemical process, from growing. Plants in the area around the solar panels are brown and dead due to not getting enough sunlight, Mann claimed.[/font]

[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]No reports have yet emerged as to whether science education is also "brown and dead" in Woodland.[/font]
[size=small][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Local resident Bobby Mann, for his part, announced he was worried the panels would "suck up all the energy from the sun," the paper said.[/font][/size][/font][/size]

"Local resident Bobby Mann, for his part, announced he was worried the panels would "suck up all the energy from the sun," the paper said."

I'm with Bobby on this one. :s

Matlock said:
"Local resident Bobby Mann, for his part, announced he was worried the panels would "suck up all the energy from the sun," the paper said."

I'm with Bobby on this one.  :s

The magic gas they release counters that. ;)

I don't know what's worse. The things people actually say out loud or the folks in the news media that feel they need to print it.

I don't understand the idea that large acres of land must be cleared for solar power. Solar power works best at the point of use. If you want people to use solar power build homes with solar panels on the roof!

Spirituallifetime said:
I don't understand  the idea that large acres of land must be cleared for solar power. Solar power works best at the point of use. If you want people to use solar power build homes with solar panels on the roof!

There are multiple tax advantages to the corporate system.  One "person" owns Alphabet Inc.  Company A buys the land, and leases it to B. C buys the panels and leases them to B.  D does the maintenance and charges it to B.  E does the accounting, F hires the workers and takes a cut.  G does the buying... 

At the end of the day Alphabet Inc makes more off of tax breaks than solar energy. 

The advantage of having large fields is ease of tracking and maintenance cost. Little Bubba's homemade rocket is less likely to take out stray panels.  (Also Alphabet Inc makes more money!) 

Historically places that have encouraged solar fields attract higher wage workers, and revitalize.

Buying your own home system has a 15 year payoff, and a 40 year expected life.

The Onion actually had an article about this a few months ago.Glad I don't have grandkids studying Science in N.C.

Dang,I just thought of something.If they ever have a solar leak it will devastate the area.

Bob Dickerson said:
The Onion actually had an article about this a few months ago.Glad I don't have grandkids studying Science in N.C.

You realize The Onion is all deliberate satire and hyperbole though, right?

GotSmart said:
There are multiple tax advantages to the corporate system.  One "person" owns Alphabet Inc.  Company A buys the land, and leases it to B. C buys the panels and leases them to B.  D does the maintenance and charges it to B.  E does the accounting, F hires the workers and takes a cut.  G does the buying... 

At the end of the day Alphabet Inc makes more off of tax breaks than solar energy. 

The advantage of having large fields is ease of tracking and maintenance cost. Little Bubba's homemade rocket is less likely to take out stray panels.  (Also Alphabet Inc makes more money!) 

Historically places that have encouraged solar fields attract higher wage workers, and revitalize.

Buying your own home system has a 15 year payoff, and a 40 year expected life.
The reality of solar is that you can't run your entire home from it. Most people who build solar homes figure out how to reduce their power requirements then design an affordable system. The homes we've seen in the news with the entire roof covered in solar panels is not economical.

Bob Dickerson said:
Dang,I just thought of something.If they ever have a solar leak it will devastate the area.

Nah,, they have an all natural plan to deal with any solar leaks....
They'll just release the 'all natural' solar absorption 'mud' from the factory pig farm 'ponds' located throughout the state!  :rolleyes:

Spirituallifetime said:
The reality of solar is that you can't run your entire home from it. Most people who build solar homes figure out how to reduce their power requirements then design an affordable system. The homes we've seen in the news with the entire roof covered in solar panels is not economical.

You can run a home with solar.  It just takes a Tesla or similar super battery. 

https://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

GotSmart said:
You can run a home with solar.  It just takes a Tesla or similar super battery. 

https://www.teslamotors.com/powerwall

I've wondered before about installing an obscene amount of solar on a home roof, collecting any rebates for such, but rather than put the money into a battery system to store it just send all the excess power back to the grid as the power company will have to pay you for it.... would this work out to be equally / more cost effective compared to storing all your own power? I don't know. Just a thought I had.

TMG51 said:
I've wondered before about installing an obscene amount of solar on a home roof, collecting any rebates for such, but rather than put the money into a battery system to store it just send all the excess power back to the grid as the power company will have to pay you for it.... would this work out to be equally / more cost effective compared to storing all your own power? I don't know. Just a thought I had.

It's being done all over the country, laws in some areas require the energy companies to buy any energy your solar produces.

buckwilk said:
It's being done all over the country, laws in some areas require the energy companies to buy any energy your solar produces.

My main problem with Renogy, is they do not provide a hybrid system where you can do this.   :(

Somebody said that the Onion is satire.And here I've been getting all my news from it and Broken World News and Empire News.As far as running a house on solar,I've been doing just that for 8 years.I do burn about $100 of propane per year.

Well, the satire 'news' like The Onion at least give you a good laugh.  Regular news either majorly PO's me or makes me want to cry sometimes.  I don't watch or read most of it.  Sometimes the Gossip Rags are entertaining too.  Just don't take them seriously.   :D

LeeRevell said:
Well, the satire 'news' like The Onion at least give you a good laugh.  Regular news either majorly PO's me or makes me want to cry sometimes.  I don't watch or read most of it.  Sometimes the Gossip Rags are entertaining too.  Just don't take them seriously.   :D

Attachments

• serous.jpg
    serous.jpg
    9.2 KB
TMG51 said:

I know a guy owns a hardware store covered with a lot of solar panels in Florida.  He showed me all the controllers in the back room.

He also showed me all the credits Florida Power and Light owed him.  He will not pay a bill for a long time but the power company will not pay him for the excess power he generates.

Maine is another state where the power co doesn't have to buy your excess output .........

Latest posts