Thermoelectric REFRIGERATOR with Temperature Control

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanGirl

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with a Thermoelectric REFRIGERATOR Koolatron-AC-DC-Heat-Pipe-Fridge-KCR40B-KOO1115 with Temperature Control? If so, how does your battery bank hold up after the sun goes down and solar is no longer working? I know is it similar to the older Coleman 12v cooler but this has a thermostat to turn it off when it cools down. Adding another solar panel and battery is not a problem. Will a 400 ah battery bank handle it?

Thermoelectric REFRIGERATORs pull a constant draw of current from your electric system.  Great way to kill a battery.  A compressor based refrigerator only runs a small part of the time unless you are in hot temps and keeping stuff frozen, not fresh at 37-38 degrees F.

Also, for a somewhat large constant current draw, you get only a 40 degree F drop in temp from it.  So 50 degree stuff in in 90 degrees.  Lame.

29chico said:
Thermoelectric REFRIGERATORs pull a constant draw of current from your electric system.  Great way to kill a battery.  A compressor based refrigerator only runs a small part of the time unless you are in hot temps and keeping stuff frozen, not fresh at 37-38 degrees F.

Also, for a somewhat large constant current draw, you get only a 40 degree F drop in temp from it.  So 50 degree stuff in in 90 degrees.  Lame.

So are you saying the thermostat will not work? I know the old Thermo Coleman stayed on all the time but I would hope the thermostat would regulate it on and off. Do you have a thermostat controlled unit?
Thanks,
VanGirl

Thermoelectric refrigerators are simply not very efficient. The only way I'd recommend a 12v fridge is if it's a compressor model. They're more expensive but worth it. And for added bang for your buck, add your own insulation to your compressor fridge.

I have a propane fridge now that I'm happy with (once I learned how to use it), but down the road I'll be looking to upgrade to a compressor unit.

VanGirl said:
So are you saying the thermostat will not work? I know the old Thermo Coleman stayed on all the time but I would hope the thermostat would regulate it on and off. Do you have a thermostat controlled unit?
Thanks,
VanGirl

I have an 8 year old Engel MT-35 compressor based refrigerator/freezer with extra insulation added to it where appropriate.  Excellent product, it is very energy efficient and also very quiet.  Yes, it has an adjustable thermostat and I have used it it to keep meat frozen rock hard at 28 degrees F in 90 degree weather.  

Thankfully I have never owned a Thermoelectric REFRIGERATOR, I have used a small one that did not have a thermostat and it was a solid underperformer.  I know a bunch of serious outdoors folks who have spent $$ on the Thermoelectric REFRIGERATORs and all have cursed them as being a waste of time and money. 

Yes, compressor based fridges are spendy, but they are worth it.  Failing that, a good ice chest with block ice is far better than the frustration you will have with a Thermoelectric REFRIGERATOR.

Thermo electric devices do not have enough of a temperature drop to have a useful thermostat. They are mostly a waste.

I strongly agree with the above posts. Thermoelectric is only for refrigerating in mild climates and when you are plugged into shore power. Or maybe if you have a huge solar array with a large battery bank. They are more sensitive to not being level.

Compressor fridges beat the pants of off thermoeletric fridges or absorption fridges.

Every so often comes a post asking about cheaper refrigeration on battery power.

Ther thermoelectrics are always asked for first and dismissed for being inefficient, ineffective power hogs in most every situation.

Next come the 120Vac dorm fridges run on an inverter, but these will consume at least twice the electricity as a 12v compressor fridge and require a larger inverter, battery bank and solar or other recharging sources, negating the price difference between a 12v compressor fridge and a 120v dorm fridge.

Now if one already has a dorm fridge, and an inverter, and a surplus of solar or other recharging ability, then go for it, but do not seek out to run a 120 $ fridge which requires 500$ worth of batteries and solar panels to run indefinitely.

Dorm fridges might also suffer failures from road vibrations, and one needs to design a method to hold the door closed as well.

Long story short, if you want electric refrigeration and live on battery power, then a 12v compressor fridge is the first and last stop, and efforts to beat the system, will ultimately be defeated, as it is simply easier to use less electricity, than plan on generating huge amounts so one can be wasteful running an inefficient appliance.

Bite the bullet and get an AC/DC chest style fridge/freezer or a front loading fridge with freezer, and plan on having at least 60 watts of solar dedicated for just it, to keep it running indefinitely.

ccbreder said:
Thermo electric devices do not have enough of a temperature drop to have a useful thermostat. They are mostly a waste.

Thanks,  that I can under. 
VanGirl