The Tribe that hides from Man

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We assume that "civilizations" slaughtering of the "savages" to steal their land ended a long time ago but all around the world the last few remnants of First Peoples are still being hunted down, driven off their land and even exterminated.
Bob

This was a very evident shocking realization that I was forced to confront in Guerrero. It was pretty well hidden from my suburban paradise. I was aware of it but it was nowhere near as visceral.

I once watched a TV special concerning a 'lost tribe' that had supposedly never seen a white man, and whose 'native lands' were being threatened.
Later, the story broke that members of this 'lost tribe' were seen in town, wearing modern clothes. Turns out the whole story was a hoax, the locals using this as a way to get interest and money from the industrialized nations for their benefit. The 'lost village' was a fake, peopled with the 'tribe' when the westerners visited.

Since then I take any tales of 'lost tribes' with the proverbial grain of salt.

:) kinda how nature shows are magic of editing and zoos?

They weren't a lost tribe per se but rather it offers some insight into their acclimation or lack thereof to the world that crashed down upon them in the name of greed.

I promise I will never post a shit documentary. They are the highlight of my cinematic life and I hold them to a very high standard.

akrvbob said:
We assume that "civilizations" slaughtering of the "savages" to steal their land ended a long time ago but all around the world the last few remnants of First Peoples are still being hunted down, driven off their land and even exterminated.
Bob

I'd be interesting in hearing about some examples.

There are quite a few examples. Start by searching for indigenous persecution. Start reading. How far you go down the rabbit hole is up to you. The idea that civilized man is everything but becomes a common theme.

"Civilization" is a very thin veneer that comes off easily when there are riches to be gathered, from someone else's lands. An old, old story.

Actually, it's not an old story at all, less than 10,000 years. Compared to how long there have been humans and pre-humans, that's nothing.

Nearly all pre-agriculture peoples held generosity as the highest virtue, valued above life itself. Selfish withholding was the greatest sin.
Bob