The Sonoran Desert

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waldenbound

Reaction score
I know the Ehrenberg, Cottonwood, Flagstaff corridor is popular with the tribe, but anyone hang out in the Sonoran Desert?
I was doing some reading on another site that said the Sonoran is a lot greener, and more bio-diverse than the Mojave of California. I"m looking at Google maps and it's just so stunningly beautiful. Elevation is higher too. Tucson sits at 2500 feet, but Bisbee sits at 5500 feet and it's less than 10 miles from the Mexican border.

Now, I hate to have to ask this, but being that it is a lot closer to the border, is it generally safe to boondock in the area? Say, south of Tucson, west to Organ Pipe NM, east to the New Mexican border?

I am smitten, for sure. It's gotten to where I'm drooling over the menu at El Charro and dreaming of carne seca!

The numbers say that you're likely to be pretty safe.  Plenty do camp in the desert in the winter.  . But knowing your risks vs actually hanging out, camping here, depends on your potential anxiety tolerance. I've lived in the Phoenix/Tucson area since 1993 and prior to that, spent a lot of time in Ajo from the 70's on.  We will likely do some camping in the Chiricahuas and Ajo areas during the appropriate seasons once we're full-timing. Since we've only part-timed or traveled on holiday until now, lately, we usually camp down in developed campgrounds in places like Organ Pipe or Lake Patagonia.

My main concern is not the immigrants, but the drug runners.  They pose the greatest risk.  If you decide to do much camping at large by yourself, you might want to consider carrying.  Arizona reciprocates, or I think you can get a CCW without being a resident.  It may or may not prove to be any help in an emergency, but may make you feel more comfortable.

In the summer, you'll need to be at elevation (7000' or higher) to stay comfortable). When living in Phoenix/New River, we would go to the Flagstaff area or the higher elevations of the Mogollon Rim. Now that we live in Tucson, we go to the Catalinas mostly because it's close and easy to get there. Plenty of camping at large is permitted in the National Forests. In the desert, the "National Forest" designation is only that, because in the lower elevations, it's desert with nary a pine tree. You can also get an annual permit to camp on state land. I don't remember how much it cost, but it was pretty cheap for a family pass.
Ted

actually Ehrenberg is in the Sonoran Desert. the Mojave is the high desert the Sonoran is the low desert. in general you are correct about it being more bio-diverse in some areas, but it's still a desert. elevation is not higher than the Mojave, the part of the Sonoran in California is very low elevation for the most part as is the Colorado River valley. Joshua Tree NP sits on the transition zone between the 2 deserts. the high desert also includes the Great Basin Desert. highdesertranger

It's desert. It's hot in summer. Personally, I wouldn't go off alone right away. Hang with some other campers and chat; some areas are going to be more iffy than others.

WalkaboutTed,
Yeah, it's the drug runners that concern me. I love the Mexican people and I adore Mexican culture. That's been the hardest thing about living in Washington next to the rain, the absence of real Mexican culture. I just want to live in peace and stay safe and cause no problems.
I sold my firearms, didn't want problems with border crossing or Border Patrol in general. I have a menacing looking ice axe though. I'm sure I'll get plenty of giggles at RTR over why I'm carrying an ice axe in Arizona. Hey, it does snow on Mt Lemmon right?

The reason most of us hang out in the Ehrenberg/Quartzite/Yuma area in the winter is because it's at sea level. El Centro CA is actually below sea level.

It's warmer there. Drop 4 degrees F for every 1,000 feet in altitude and Bisbee becomes downright cold in the winter time.

Even at sea level, winter can have us warm blooded folk headed for winter coats in the evenings and using the heaters to adjust the temp in the van.

If you happen to be camped right on a migration route the Border Patrol will let you know that you might want to move on for your own safety. Other than that, don't worry about it. Thousands of us winter on BLM land all over the southwest without a problem.

Almost There said:
The reason most of us hang out in the Ehrenberg/Quartzite/Yuma area in the winter is because it's at sea level. El Centro CA is actually below sea level.

It's warmer there. Drop 4 degrees F for every 1,000 feet in altitude and Bisbee becomes downright cold in the winter time.

One of my on going projects is monitoring the temps around Arizona, Nevada, Oregon to see trends based on time of year and elevation. I've look at a US temperature map in January and you pretty much have to get as farthest south, and as lowest elevation as you can get to be warm. When I see people in hats and jackets at RTR, I believe them.

Mostly what, late November to mid-February for Ehrenberg/Quartzite, then February, March, maybe April go east to southern Arizona. Maybe the elevation changes will help make it survivable towards summer.

If that Coyote Howling place in Ajo can give me a 100% legal address that I can use to register my van and get a driver's license, for the $600 a year, then I have three words. Sign. Me. Up. I"ll just tell them I take a lot of road trips throughout the year, and keep my spot.

TrainChaser said:
It's desert.  It's hot in summer.  Personally, I wouldn't go off alone right away.  Hang with some other campers and chat; some areas are going to be more iffy than others.

The South Pole is a desert.

Waldenbound: "I'm sure I'll get plenty of giggles at RTR over why I'm carrying an ice axe in Arizona."  

It's for trimming down the ice to fit in the cooler.

AlmostThere:  "The South Pole is a desert."

Not as warm, though.  And probably fewer drug runners, but I'm kind of assuming here...

waldenbound said:
That's been the hardest thing about living in Washington next to the rain, the absence of real Mexican culture. 

That's what Mexico's for.  

Pay sites south of the border are safer than boondocking on the American side IMHO

Two years ago we camped at Organ Pipe, Ajo, Tucson and the BLM lands (old Empire Ranch) south of Benson and loved it all. It was 10 to 15 degrees cooler than the BLM lands west of Yuma which were great also. Even Yuma was cold to us because we spend most of our summers working in 100 plus degrees at Lake Powell in Utah. Would have liked to try Mexico but at the time I couldn't leave the country and my Spanish es muy mal.

I want to see Bisbee, I read it's an aging hippie colony, one of those funky, charming places. The Copper Queen Hotel is haunted, so they say.
Just so stunningly beautiful. I'm going to eat Mexican food 365 days straight, starting with carne seca at El Charro. Yes, you heard it here, Mexican food 365 days a year.

Mmmm, carne seca dreamin'.

On the way to Desert Museum or Ajo / Why AZ (west on 86), check out Los Nopales Mexican Restaurant, 3051 S Kinney Rd
Tucson, AZ 85713

Carne Seca!

I've stayed at the Copper Queen several times...no ghosts. But the underground mine tour was very cool.

My kids were weaned on Mexican food. When we were broke, one Filiberto's burrito would last four of us for two meals. The kids didn't know they weren't supposed to like ¡salsa muy picante!
Ted

waldenbound said:
WalkaboutTed,
Yeah, it's the drug runners that concern me. I love the Mexican people and I adore Mexican culture. That's been the hardest thing about living in Washington next to the rain, the absence of real Mexican culture. I just want to live in peace and stay safe and cause no problems.
I sold my firearms, didn't want problems with border crossing or Border Patrol in general. I have a menacing looking ice axe though. I'm sure I'll get plenty of giggles at RTR over why I'm carrying an ice axe in Arizona. Hey, it does snow on Mt Lemmon right?

The closer you get to the border, the more you run into border patrol agents and checkpoints.

The areas south of Tucson the border patrol will actually warn you about drug runners. Myself and friends do camp in those areas, especially Las Cienegas NCA, it is beautiful there in the fall and spring. Everywhere between Tucson and Organ Pipe south of Highway 8 is drug runner area, most of it is Indian reservation lands too. The area around Organ Pipe and Tucson is beautiful desert, much greener than the Mojave and the Arizona/CA border area. Bisbee is an awesome town, plus tombstone is near.

I hear a lot of warnings about the drug runners around here, and that you should have a weapon "In Arizona, a person over age 21 may legally carry a concealed firearm or deadly weapon without a permit within the state, except for certain prohibited locations, and must disclose the fact to a law enforcement officer if questioned. ... There is no registration or licensing of non-NFA firearms in Arizona"

I haven't not heard of anyone having a problem with drug runners camping around those areas though, not in the 7 years I have been around here, I think a lot of it has died down.

WalkaboutTed said:
I've stayed at the Copper Queen several times...no ghosts. But the underground mine tour was very cool.

My kids were weaned on Mexican food.  When we were broke, one Filiberto's burrito would last four of us for two meals.  The kids didn't know they weren't supposed to like ¡salsa muy picante!
Ted

I'm strictly an urban camper (my interests are museums, zoos, and such) so I can't speak to desert boondocking. But I can say that NM and AZ have some of my favorite museums and zoos: the Titan Missile Silo, Carlsbad Caverns, Tombstone and the OK Corrqal, the UFO Museum at Roswell, the Sonora Desert Museum, Meteor Crater, a whole slew of museums in Albuquerque ..... all well worth seeing.

And I miss the green chili cheeseburgers. Somebody mail me a couple.  :)

Running drugs is a business, and it's very, very bad for business to hurt American in America along the border. That just brings down the wrath of every law enforcement agency on your head.

I think the risk is greatly exaggerated.

Latest posts